Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to shoot a new g48 today and noticed it was a little off compared to my other one. Carbon was building up on one side of the crown alot more than the other. Looking closer it looks like the crown was cut rough.
Wood Cylinder Gas Tints and shades Gun accessory

Wood Finger Blood vessel Wrist Body jewelry

Wood Bicycle part Carbon Rim Gas

·
Registered
664 Posts
It has been cleaned. These are grooves and burs in the metal. The other side is fine.
That is not “clean”, it’s carbon buildup left on the crown from firing the crap ammo we have today. Possibly even some fragments of the bullets themselves left when exiting the barrel.

Regards,

PS: I can still see gunk in the grooves of the rifling I’m the bore.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's down to bare shiny metal. The finish wear is out past the end of the barrel on that side. View attachment 1082281
View attachment 1082280
Sigh…. Get a stainless brush and clean the bore of the barrel, and the end of the barrel. If it’s bad enough, take a small pick or screwdriver and clean out the area of the crown. No part of that crown is cut rough or off center. It’s debris from shooting. You gun is just fine. Here’s what a crown looks like when clean.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sigh…. Get a stainless brush and clean the end of the barrel, and the end of the barrel. If it’s bad enough, take a small pick or screwdriver and clean out the area of the crown. No part of that crown is cut rough or off center. It’s debris from shooting. You gun is just fine. Hers what a crown looks like when clean.
Finger Wood Audio equipment Household hardware Camera accessory

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sigh…. Get a stainless brush and clean the bore of the barrel, and the end of the barrel. If it’s bad enough, take a small pick or screwdriver and clean out the area of the crown. No part of that crown is cut rough or off center. It’s debris from shooting. You gun is just fine. Here’s what a crown looks like when clean.
Pictures are not really showing it well. There is no more carbon coming off. It is down to shiny bare metal. Finish is even gone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is bare metal extending past the end. Could clean it all day and it still looks like this. Brand new only 100 rounds through it so there wasnt much to clean. I noticed when I was cleaning it the carbon was only on one side and not even all the way around.
Automotive tire Window Wood Circle Tints and shades

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
This is bare metal extending past the end. Could clean it all day and it still looks like this. Brand new only 100 rounds through it so there wasnt much to clean. I noticed when I was cleaning it the carbon was only on one side and not even all the way around.
View attachment 1082296
Contact Glock. Send them pictures and allow them to address this first hand.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
If you cleaned it down to bare metal, to the point that the finish is gone, and you did, you damaged your barrel crown. It might have been cut rough, but it definitely was damaged by your cleaning. Glock will probably replace it, but you are the cause of the damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If you cleaned it down to bare metal, to the point that the finish is gone, and you did, you damaged your barrel crown. Glock will probably replace it, but you are the cause of the damage.
It's not from excessive cleaning. Was like that at the range before even cleaning. Only used a few cotton patches, that would not leave grooves in the metal. It would be pretty hard to only clean it that hard in such a straight line only in one area.

·
Registered
19,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would say thats residue from the bullets you're shooting.
I shoot a coated bullet in all of mine and after a few thousand, I have the exact same build up. I always use a metal pick to clean it with and never had any problems.

·
Banned
365 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts