Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Tactically Epic
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried it out today shoots about 6 inches low at 10 yards with the stock glock dovetail fillers. Now I originally planned to get new sights but if the gun mechanically shoots low a better sight picture won't help me much. Is this common? Another friend got a g45 and hits low and left.

And before the " you just suck comments I benchrested out of a pistol bench to verify it want me and hit centers with 2 other pistols.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The Gen 5 Glocks have a "combat" sight picture meaning you need to cover what you want to hit with the front sight dot. If you try a 6 o'clock hold, you will shoot low. Two fixes are to either aim correctly for the Gen 5 or put a set of sights on it made for Gen 4 or earlier.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I don't know what to tell you then. Maybe put a set of pre Gen 5 sights on it. I have a hard time believing the factory would let a gun out shooting that low. They are all test fired with a machine and poa/poi is verified at 25 meters.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Get a couple of friends that you know can shoot as well as you and see what it does then, if it consistently hits low with all of you then I’d try a different set of sights

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
New sights might help - and then again, maybe not. Ammo can play a huge role so if you haven't already done so, try some different ammo and see where they land. With my 45 the drop goes in the bucket and at combat distance POA and POI are pretty darn close.

·
Tactically Epic
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can try different ammo. Shot norma 115 grain and blazer 124 grain. Standard pressure. Didn't bother trying at 25 since it was so far off at 10.

Ammo is whatever is avalible people still panic buy around here.

I don't have as much faith in glock quality control as others do. My 43x runs great but I had a 19 gen 4 with a faulty recoil spring and now an inaccurate 45

·
Registered
331 Posts
I also have a G45,this is my EDC, I had the same issue. I bought an OEM Glock adjustable sight for about $20 on ebay and problem solved after adjusting.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Springfield XDS .45 acp. It took one call to the factory for them to send me new sights (at no charge) to correct the problem. New sights will ultimately be the solution to your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I just shot my new G45 yesterday.

Have the cheap factory sights, I too was low, my guess was 4" at 7 yards....

Odd....My 19M with AmGlo's is spot on.

HD XR Triji's will help-on the way

My only gripe with my new four-five.

·
Tactically Epic
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Gen 5 Glocks have a "combat" sight picture meaning you need to cover what you want to hit with the front sight dot. If you try a 6 o'clock hold, you will shoot low. Two fixes are to either aim correctly for the Gen 5 or put a set of sights on it made for Gen 4 or earlier.
Practice Bud, you'll get the hang of it.
Practice aiming above target to hit it? Yeah I think ill just change the mechanical issue and rely on my other guns for now.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
If replacement sights are modeled after glock sights wo I ldnt it still shoot low?
Not necessarily. Most Gen 5's came with a 6.1mm rear sight. This was to lift the poa up to that combat hold. Pre Gen 5 9mm's came with a 6.5mm rear sight. This gives you more of a center hold where the top of the front sight bi-sects or is held just underneath the bullseye ring on the target. So, if you put a set of sights on it made for Gen 4 and earlier, it will raise your point of impact. My 45 mos had the factory plastic sights with the 6.1mm rear. I changed to Trijicon GL01's which are made at the same height as Gen 4 sights. Now I have the point of aim back I am used to and it impacts exactly where I want it to.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Every polymer framed handgun I shot off a rest, (sandbags in my case) shot low. Those being Glock, FN, and Springfield Armory. To the point I quit doing it and just tested loads at 10-15yds supported. No answer to why that is, just the way it is for me.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Use a proper sight picture and print the gun at an appropriate distance. The lowest hit in your group should be right above the top of the post. 17-20 yards is good. Be sure to make good calls.

Then do the math to get to the FS height you need. Remember that sight radius is a factor in that equation, so don't just go right to sights that work on a larger gun.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts