Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m really new to GlockStore and guns in General. I have a G45 brand new. I’m having trouble racking the slide. I’ll rack it with no mag and it’s fine but sometimes when I rack a bullet in the chamber the slide won’t go all the way into battery and stop like 1/4 inch. I’ll push forward on it and the trigger will go forward a little and be in full battery! Thank you in advance!!
9A0EB7A9-3482-43B6-8CA1-CCFE12398720.jpeg
69A39B94-FC6E-424A-9F8F-28E540E9003F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Make sure when you chamber a round you pull the slide back all the way with authority and let it go. Don’t ride it forward. It needs the energy from the spring to fully chamber the round.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be my guess as well. You’re just easing the slide forward. Let the recoil spring do its job
I thought that at first too. So i racked it good. I'm a 245lb weight lifter haha. It doesn't do it everytime But will still do it randomly. Not while firing so far but only when i manually rack it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Another way you can do it is, remove the mag, lock the slide back, insert the mag, and release the slide with the slide stop.

That generally wont have the issue.

The way I usually rack a slide is, starting with the gun held in close to my chest at around nipple height, with my left hand (Im a righty) wrapped over the top of the slide, fingers on the right side, thumb on the left, pointing to the rear, and gripping snugly.

I push the gun forward sharply while pulling back on the slide. When the slide stops coming back, I let it go while Im still pushing forward. When its all done, the hand working the slide is flat against the front of my right shoulder, and the gun at arms length in front of me.

Its quick, positive, and done with force, and you get full retraction on the slide before it goes forward.

Reactions: QHefner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any aftermarket parts? How many rounds thru the gun?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Only after market is a extended slide stop and lock also a extended magazine release. I've shot literally 8 rounds through it and it has done it before and after I shot it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes sir! Thats the first thing i did when I got it.
Ok cool, i figured you did but you never know. What I would do is remove any aftermarket parts even though you said it was happening before you swapped them out. Shoot it a whole bunch and after couple hundred rounds you're still getting the same problem, call Glock and they'll probably have you send it in to look at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok cool, i figured you did but you never know. What I would do is remove any aftermarket parts even though you said it was happening before you swapped them out. Shoot it a whole bunch and after couple hundred rounds you're still getting the same problem, call Glock and they'll probably have you send it in to look at it.
I'll give it a shot! Sorry I forgot to mention that I changed the backplate aswell but put it back to stock cause I didn't like the silver while aiming down sights. Think I did something to the plunger or firing pin?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
What is this refering to as in what failed? Sorry i'm new to glocks.
Remove the barrel and set it on the counter like that. Then just “plunk” a round into the barrel. It should easily fall into the chamber. Make sure there’s no issue with your chamber of your barrel or the ammo you’re trying to load

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remove the barrel and set it on the counter like that. Then just “plunk” a round into the barrel. It should easily fall into the chamber. Make sure there’s no issue with your chamber of your barrel or the ammo you’re trying to load
Got it! I will try this. Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'll give it a shot! Sorry I forgot to mention that I changed the backplate aswell but put it back to stock cause I didn't like the silver while aiming down sights. Think I did something to the plunger or firing pin?
Kind of doubt it, unless you got all "weightlifter" on it. :D

Did you have any troubles swapping them out?

What kind of ammo are you using? Factory or reloads? Could be an issue there, and pic John is showing you might help to figure things out.

From the sounds of your descriptions, Im thinking its just that youre riding the slide down and its hanging up, especially since it goes into battery with a bump.

I would think if other things were a problem, youd probably see it, at least occasionally, while you were shooting it too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kind of doubt it, unless you got all "weightlifter" on it. :D

Did you have any troubles swapping them out?

What kind of ammo are you using? Factory or reloads? Could be an issue there, and pic John is showing you might help to figure things out.

From the sounds of your descriptions, Im thinking its just that youre riding the slide down and its hanging up, especially since it goes into battery with a bump.

I would think if other things were a problem, youd probably see it, at least occasionally, while you were shooting it too.
Haha I did not get all weightlifter on it. i've only shot factory hallow points out of it. I've only shot one 10rd clip out of it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Some hollow points might aggravate the problem if they are catching on something.

The problem with slow cycling the slide can sometimes aggravate or exaggerate things that you dont normally see when the slide cycles with force.

Doing it forcefully is generally better than doing it softly. They are mant to work like that and its not going to hurt the gun, as long as you dont try to force something that just isnt going.

If the slide goes home with a nudge or bump, theres probably nothing wrong. If you bump it and it doesnt close, and you encounter strong resistance, then something else might be going on, a bulged case, etc, and trying to force it past that nudge, will probably make things worse and cause other problems.

Reactions: QHefner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some hollow points might aggravate the problem if they are catching on something.

The problem with slow cycling the slide can sometimes aggravate or exaggerate things that you dont normally see when the slide cycles with force.

Doing it forcefully is generally better than doing it softly. They are mant to work like that and its not going to hurt the gun, as long as you dont try to force something that just isnt going.

If the slide goes home with a nudge or bump, theres probably nothing wrong. If you bump it and it doesnt close, and you encounter strong resistance, then something else might be going on, a bulged case, etc, and trying to force it past that nudge, will probably make things worse and cause other problems.
Cool, I'll try some diffrent bullets and see what happens. Thank you for your help!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts