G45 MOS vs. 34 Gen 5 For Carry Optics

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GotWhatINeed, Jun 13, 2020.

1. GotWhatINeed

GotWhatINeed

I've been thinking about getting a Glock for Carry Optics in USPSA. I was leaning toward the G45 because I shoot the 19 very well (better than I shoot the 17), but I would much prefer the 17 size grip and capacity. And since I'd be running a dot, sight radius doesn't matter.

Every competitive shooter I've seen, particularly the good ones, shoot the long slide Glocks. But it seems like most threads I read here and on other interweb forums, majority of people say they shoot the 26,19 and 17 better than the 34. Why is that? I would think if there was an advantage to shooting a 19/17 over a 34, professional shooters would be the 1st ones to ditch their long slides.

So what would be the advantages (if any) of shooting a 34.5 instead of a G45 MOS in Carry Optics?

2. Willard

Willard Who, me?

As I understand it: Traditionally, the longer slide gives you a longer distance between the iron sights, which improves accuracy. Also, the longer slide tends to minimize muzzle rise, which helps you to get back on target faster.

With a RDS, the distance between the iron sights is irrelevant.

Some, who are faster than me, claim that a shorter slide (G19 vs G34) is faster to transition from one target to the next.

So, I would say it depends on what type of shooting you are doing, and what your relative strengths and weaknesses are.

SMOKEin likes this.

3. bitcoin

bitcoin

To clarify, you are referring to a RDS on a G45 vs a RDS on a G34? It seems that most don't care about slide length when using an optic. But I am no expert.

Willard likes this.
  4. OdinIII

OdinIII

You already know the answer. People who spend $2,500+ per year on ammo use the 34 and say that it is softer shooting. These people try different guns and would gladly switch models or brands in a second for a slight improvement in their shooting performance.

I’m skeptical of the folks who say they can shoot the shorter pistols better. It’s undeniable that lighter guns recoil more with everything else the same. The mechanical accuracy should be the same but more sight radius should only help. I don’t understand how they can shoot better with a gun that is harder to shoot. It makes no sense to me. Maybe their load doesn’t work well with the longer barrels?

-JCN- likes this.
  5. OdinIII

OdinIII

I wanted to add that if for any reason you like the 45 or 19 better then go down that road. Confidence in your equipment is more important than whatever advantage you are going to get from a new pistol.

In USPSA, the pistol is almost irrelevant as long as it works. The weak link in the shooting system is almost always the shooter. The vast majority of shooters never get to the stage where the pistol is holding them back.

Willard, GotWhatINeed and -JCN- like this.
  6. billyj7175

billyj7175

Unless your area is different than mine, or you're planning on ordering online, I haven't seen a G34 for sale, new or used in a long time.

7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

It's mainly balance and the additional velocity from greater barrel length.

8. BBMW

BBMW

Race / Game gun? G34. I still have no idea what purpose the G45 actually serves that isn't better served by the G19 or 17. And since concealment isn't a issue for a game gun, you probably want the longest barrel you can get.

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

If that were true, standard and stage results for open and production would basically be the same.

It is true that what's mainly being tested is the shooter's ability to bring his skill to bear under stress. But the shooter's ability to interact with the gun is a significant part of that.

How many classifiers can you shoot 100% on with your match gun, vs. a stock Glock?

10. OdinIII

OdinIII

At my home range, the production shooters usually beat the open shooters but I know what you mean. I meant between similar guns like the Shadow 2, Sig Legion and Glock 34. Whichever one you use and practice with will serve you well without holding all but the best in the country back. There's certainly not going to be much difference in the G45 vs G34 although I would take the G34>G17>G45>G19 in that order.

To clarify, I shoot a G34 in CO. I'm not a GM so the answer would be very few. I've only shot over 100% in practice. I'm not sure about how to answer this one. Honestly, the sights on the stock Glock is probably the first thing to change for USPSA and the thing that I would hate the most.

My match pistol has a metal plug, tungsten guide rod, lightened striker, FP safety and recoil springs, TTI connector and a ghost extended mag release. I'm also running Dawson sights which I really should remove and a DPP. I want to say that I think I could come very close with a stock Glock but I'd definitely miss the current weight/balance and being able to press the mag release button reliably. Also, the stock G34's wouldn't run with my ~128-130 PF 147's so I would be much more competitive with the 13lb recoil spring.

11. tango44

tango44

The G45 and the G19X are the best shooters that I have in Glock, got rid of the 34 because of that!

12. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

OK, it sounds like you've isolated some areas where the gun can be improved and taken logical steps in those directions. A stock Glock might not "hold you back" in the boat-anchor-around-neck sense, but the modified gun definitely helps you get better results.

A better shooter can get more out of less gun. But a better shooter can also exploit more gun to a greater degree. And a better gun can provide any attentive shooter with more insight into forward development.

Willard likes this.
  13. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’d truly love to know if I could do better with a different gun. I’ve considered an X5 Legion or Shadow 2.

Glock still does well at the top of the sport. 2 top 5’s in Limited Nationals for 2019 competing against heavy custom 2011’s and won overall at the Production/Lim10 Nationals. That’s not bad in a world of heavy steel guns and single action triggers.

Willard likes this.
  14. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

So you classified higher with a G4/G19 than a G34? No, I didn't think so, because you don't shoot USPSA.

15. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

GotWhat, the ticket for USPSA CO is either a SIGX5 or a CZ Shadow. They have at least 14 ounces over a G34, and can easily go over 50 ounces with allowable mods. And like any heavier gun, they recoil even is much less. The G34, for the same power floor, has recoil and is therefore easy to manage, therefore faster times with greater accuracy than a G26. Anybody can "say" they shoot a G26 better, but that's because they have never shot a USPSA match classifiers back to back. It's pretty obvious the smaller gun is a disadvantage. The new weight limit is 59 ounces, and my heavy G17 (allowed mods for CO) barely makes 30 ounces.

GotWhatINeed and Willard like this.
  16. JBP55

JBP55

Did you have a Gen 5 G34 to compare to the G45 and G19X?