G44 recoil spring

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ken grant, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ken grant

ken grant

Anyone have any info on Glock's suggestions on how often to change recoil spring on a 44 ?
    Seems to me that a weak spring could lead to slide damage .
    I am knocking on 4,000 rds. in my 44 and just thought of this as I was reading about some's cracked slides .
    Thanks for any info
    P.S. Also seems to me that a weak spring could lead to locking block damage as well .

2. Bradley T

Bradley T

Nah, I'm about 13,000 rounds (having trouble finding ammo nowadays) and it shows no adverse effects of battering or anything like that. Pistol works fine. I think those blown up gun photos are from grossly negligent operator error and improper maintenance. Nothing personal, just that's what all that stuff looks like to me.

3. ViperR

ViperR

I think this is the failure you are referring to:
    Could have been from a bad polymer molding or maybe the use of this longer looking barrel. OP never said, even though posters asked him. Looks like Glocks threaded barrel. IMG_20200830_150131.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. Sdasaro

Sdasaro Not from my cold dead clutching hands

Isn't there a lifetime warranty on such a catastrophic failure?

5. ken grant

ken grant

Yes but I see no need to push things . Glock does say change recoil springs on their other pistols so why not the 44 ?
    In fact , Glock once replaced a frame for me on a 23 and blamed the damage on a recoil spring that needed to be changed .

6. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

It's certainly not a stock OEM non-threaded barrel unless there's something stuck in the end of it. ;) Maybe I misinterpreted the OP's (not this OP) assertion that it was non-threaded.

[​IMG]

7. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

It's a $12 part. Go for it! I just ordered (and received) two from Midwest Gun Works ($15) for use with Nelson Precision Manufacturing and BoogeyMan Customs 44X slides. I also just pre-ordered two recently introduced Nelson Precision Manufacturing adjustable recoil spring assemblies ($29.95) specifically designed for use with the 44X slides,

GlockTalk Thread Glock 44X

8. ken grant

ken grant

Back to my OP . Does anyone know at level of rds. fired should you replace the recoil spring that Glock suggests

9. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

The owners manual sure doesn't say how often to change the recoil spring and I couldn't find an answer searching Glock's website or with a Google search. I have a little over 4,000 rounds through mine and compared the recoil spring to a brand new one that I bought and couldn't tell any difference at all.

10. ken grant

ken grant

I contacted Glock via E-mail about this but have not received a reply so far .

11. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

What's the best recoil spring tester / gauge for a Glock recoil spring?

12. ken grant

ken grant

I don't know if you can even buy a tester for Glocks type of self contained spring and rod

13. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I stumbled upon this,

He's using a $600+ REED Instruments SD-6020 force gauge. It would seem from his blog as if it can be done unless I'm misunderstanding what he's doing. I would think you could find a suitable alternative to the $600+ gauge.

Any other ideas?

14. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I bought a digital force gauge to measure all of my Glock captive recoil spring assemblies, both when new and continuing to monitor the recoil spring assemblies over time,

[​IMG]

In the post linked below, I'm using the force gauge to compare the force of an OEM Glock 44 recoil spring assembly to a Nelson Precision Manufacturing modular recoil spring assembly with a 13 lb ISMI recoil spring,

I understand a $300 force gauge (with stand) isn't practical, but I thought you might be interested in the concept.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020 at 4:20 PM
  15. DrewBone

DrewBone

¹You mean you don't want to hear about spending $220 on an aluminum slide and $29.95 on an adjustable recoil spring assembly, after you've already spent $359.99 for your G44?! :confused:

If Glock hasn't published or replied back to you with a round count that they suggest Glock 44 owners change their recoil spring assemblies, then it's up to you to keep an eye out for the subtle hints that the recoil assembly in your G44 isn't performing as required.

Here's some food for thought (hidden message inside); there are owners who report over 60,000 (that's no typo, sixty-thousand) rounds and higher through their Ruger Mark II pistols while using their pistol's original recoil assembly. Ruger Mark II pistol production began in 1982 and you'd think that with today's technology we'd have bettered and surpassed that "Mark"...so much for technology and Perfection, eh? LOL.

Best wishes determining your own answer :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020 at 8:10 AM