G44 parts differences and engineering thread

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mr Meeseeks, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Stuck at home on a rainy day with a cold. Decided to study a few differences between G44 and other Glocks. Glock hasn’t incorporated any G44 training into their Advanced Armorer class yet, because my buddy took it just last week. So unique design features is something we’ll have to figure out on our own for now. I’ll post a few observations and pictures. Welcome others to contribute to the thread as all these little details are noticed.

Perhaps the most interesting feature to me is the Firing Pin Assembly. Here it is next to a Gen 3 FP assembly. A few things jump out. White spring cups. I can’t tell any difference between them; the G44 cups seem to fit a Gen 3 channel liner just fine. Perhaps they just left the black dye out for a quick visual differentiator from Centerfire FP assemblies. It appears to use same FP spring as all other Glocks, and I can’t help but think the assembly was intentionally designed around maintaining this single spring. You’ll notice the G44 spring is more compressed, storing more energy, in its resting state. The FP lug is also kicked forward; a design departure from all previous Glocks. Just from dry-fire and playing with the slide, it’s apparent that the FP travels shorter than other Glocks. Makes for a nice, crisp trigger with a short reset. I have to think it was also designed to balance the FP spring tension with the RSA tension. An RSA that lite in a traditional Glock firing mechanism with OE FP spring can theoretically cause some bad things to happen.

33BC04DC-BBE8-4299-B955-991F29AE1EB8.jpeg

For whatever reason, it appears that Glock did the opposite of prior Glocks (excluding slim lines). They have a plastic slide and metal channel liner. Maybe the liner is connected to the breach face, the rails, and where the metal skeleton crosses over on top of the slide

C2754460-A08E-49B2-B271-249EA82C0218.jpeg

FP safety and it’s home in the slide are different than prior Glocks. I don’t fully understand why. I know you have to do a little wiggling to take it out, and remember the point bottom hook goes toward the outside of the slide during reinstallation.
    7F087F9D-EB88-485F-BADC-6780A967BDDD.jpeg

One of the weirdest things I noticed was a metal extractor riding in a polymer slide. Perhaps the extractor has been designed to reduce friction on the polymer flats. I know my 17.3 MIM extractor will get galling from carbon buildup against a metal slide if I go several K rounds without cleaning. I’m cool with that, but would worry if the polymer slide started to wear here. Hopefully that will be a non-issue and I’m overlooking some engineering voodoo
    2BF009ED-8D88-4E6E-8979-DC254AAA3837.jpeg

few more pics and I’ll quit rambling.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    AdamRodgers, buster55, ejjeff and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Spring is similar dimension to a G45 or 19.5 spring. A G45 spring will not fit in a G44, but a G44 spring will fit in a G45. Retainer on the end of the 45 spring is too big to fit the hole or the 44.
    8F4C8155-0359-4D9E-8BB8-9F0F854853BF.jpeg

Your barrel and RSA will ride in metal holes, which serve as a connection point between metal slide rails. Well, at least the barrel hole is the same chunk of metal I believe.

34E759D3-06A9-42D5-8478-51247A276DBA.jpeg

Obviously breach face is metal

B9DD49E7-E16E-4EA2-8739-663E5069AC9F.jpeg

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Here’s the mythic plastic ‘locking block’. Note this locking block is functionally different from all prior Glocks (unless G25/28 or T models are similar). Traditionally the barrel will tilt upward and the action will remain locked for the first part of the slide movement. Not the case with the G44, it’s a straight blowback action. There’s a 1:1 relationship between how far back the slide is vs how much of the fired cartridge is exposed. This makes sense for a 22 lr, and was probably the only workable design solution. It also means that the LB is only dealing with rearward force during the whole firing process. On the same note, you won’t have to worry about the barrel hood tipping up and wearing the top of your plastic slide

EE41FEE9-E941-4F64-BE1F-2B3329F88D60.jpeg

Part of what keeps the slide locked in a vertical position both before and after firing are grooves cut in each side of the barrel. The slide has matching male grooves which perfectly fit into the barrel’s sides. If your pistol begins to fail to return to battery after an extended firing session, I suspect this would be one of the first places to look for carbon buildup. My G44 is unfired, nice and clean. Yet I can still fill a little rough hitch when the barrel locks up with these grooves

2B0051B4-35EE-419D-A3B0-8D10A891A5C4.jpeg

Would be fantastic if others would point out unique G44 design features as they are noticed! If any Veterinarians, dentists, etc are on here... do us a solid and take an X-Ray of your stripped G44 slide! Would be interesting to see what the metal skeleton looks like.

4. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Thank you so much. I’ve been wondering about all this since it was introduced. Curious, I assume the polymer is permanently molded to the steel and not replaceable?

5. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

I can’t tell. Is the tip of the firing pin the same unique blade shape of other Glocks or just round?

6. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

The steel framework is definitely molded into the polymer, permanently. The FP tip is unique and in an offset position to strike the 22 lr rim. I can try to snap a better pic later

98795305-2653-4FD9-A461-C1969CA99858.jpeg

7. Mike-M

Mike-M

It's worth noting that the G44 RSA is marked 1-6.

Good thread!

boilergonzo and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  8. Kamatz

Kamatz

is the trigger bar the same as G17/19/26?

9. Mike-M

Mike-M

Here are the parts that are UNIQUE and for the G44 only:

Pistol G44
    Barrel
    Extractor
    Extractor Depressor Plunger Assembly
    Firing Pin Assembly
    Firing Pin Safety and Spring
    Frame
    Locking Block
    Recoil Spring Assembly (marked 1-6)
    Sight, Rear Adjustable
    Slide
    Slide Cover Plate
    Slide Lock
    Slide Stop Lever and Spring
    Trigger Mechanism Housing and Ejector (33850)
    Trigger With Trigger Bar

Accessories
    Barrel, Threaded, With Adapter and Protector
    Case
    Cleaning Brush, Stainless Steel
    Cleaning Rod, Nylon

Of special note is the Connector, which is the same part as earlier models. The G44 uses the DOT connector that is standard on Gen4 and Gen5 pistols. The optional MINUS connector would reduce pull by 0.5-lbf.

The above may be verified with the Parts List for Certified Armorers (FRM 72-26), last revised 01/14/2020. Download it at:

https://us.glock.com/en/downloadable-materials

Also at the same URL, the unique G44 Instruction Manual may be downloaded.

ejjeff, HardRice and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  10. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Could this thing take a grip plug?
    Anybody know?

11. Mike-M

Mike-M

No. It is G44-specific part 39453.

12. SRR0272

SRR0272

I just checked and it seems like the lanyard ring from a 19x will fit.
    I didn’t insert it completely because I didn’t want to have to arm wrestle it out. Inserting partially in both the 19x and 44 the fit is the same.

BamaBud likes this.
  13. G21H30

G21H30

Mr Meeseeks,
    Great write up! As you noticed there is no channel liner. We were told at our recent (1/7/20) Glock Armorer's class that they just highly polished the firing pin channel to reduce any drag caused by the rimfire ammunition,which as we all know is much more dirty than most centerfire ammo.They only had a few slides on the G44,so hopefully they come out with addendum to the Armorer's Manual that we received. They have done that in the past when the G42 was introduced.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  14. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Very interesting. The highly polished channel liner probably helps the trigger pull feel smoother. I was also going to comment that then firing pin itself seems to have a smoother finish.. need to verify that against some newer models. You can tell a lot of thought went into the design of the gun.

15. JN01

JN01

On other Glocks, you push down on the plastic piece on the end of the striker in order to slide the rear slide cover off. I’m not seeing that piece on my G44 while it is assembled, what is the trick to getting the slide cover off so I can clean out the striker channel?

16. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

It’s there, it’s just closer to the channel end. Same technique. You may have to push up on the FP lug face a little with your punch to get to it.

17. JN01

JN01

18. uofaengr

uofaengr

Is the locking block channel on the lower the same dimensions to accept a 19.5 locking block? I'm guessing no and sorry if posted elsewhere, I don't know of the dimensional differences of Gen 5 and pre Gen 5 locking blocks.

19. curlysir

curlysir

Has anyone compared the Slide Lock on the G44 to the Gen 5 G19 to see the actual differences?

I have a hard time using the stock Slide Locks and always replace them with an extended version.

S8MS-01904 likes this.