Featured G44 KABOOM

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DirectDrive, Jan 25, 2020.

1. nursetim

nursetim

Dude, you gotta use a smiley if’s yer gonna take the piss mate.

Paul53, seanmac45 and homer j like this.
  2. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr

Only Ruger that failed me was P345. Bought after fun shooting with my dads security 6 and couple different Mark 22.
    Thank I would get frustrated with G44 in the traditional Glock groups compared to making clovers with Ruger Mark series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
  4. March817

March817

Now I remember why I always wait a year.

Terry G, spork, Paul53 and 3 others like this.
  5. fistagon

fistagon

Needs more steel in the slide mix.

Paul53 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  6. Intolerant

Intolerant

pfffffff... who knew ;)
    My rugers and smiths have run thousands, still running perfect.

Chewie60, SARDG and JimmyCat like this.
  7. Navy1964

Navy1964

Saw my first G44 today. Decided to wait. I want mostly majority good reviews. Also, local price at LGS is $400.00. Too much.

rogn and Paul53 like this.
  8. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Oh, chit!!!

Double charged .22LR or flawed, weak design?

Paul53 likes this.
  9. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

I believe the G44 slide is not steel but rather some sort of lighter polymer to allow the slide to cycle better with .22LR ? ... I use a Ruger Mark III Target model with bull barrel and all steel old technology blowback slide - it should last several generations minimum !

10. cbburke

cbburke The Escapist

Glad that no one was hurt ...

11. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

There will be an AM either all steel or hybrid to fix this if the rounds were new not reloads...

I was going to get one of these in a few months....not now

Paul53 likes this.
  12. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

Yeah I’m glad I held off buying one. My AA conversion slide has 3-4K on it and still running like a champ...maybe it’ll be the only 22lr Glock I need

13. domino1

domino1

The G44 has a fluted chamber to aid extraction.
    The Glock manual is pretty clear to clean the pistol before use.

I wander if the person that experienced the kaboom had followed Glock's instructions? If there was a preservative in the barrel and lead built up then it could fire out of battery.

On page 26 of the instructions Glock also writes "Your Glock pistol should be cleaned and lubricated as follows: 4) at least every 100 rounds fired ensuring protection against your firearm jamming or losing accuracy"

A 22 lr will build up a lead/carbon ring at the end of the chamber or barrel lead. I wander if that is why Glock is suggesting the above?

I know many people want to shoot as many rounds as they can through there 44 before cleaning as some sort of test but it might not be the best idea here. I get it all the Ruger owners want to tell everyone how many rounds they fired through there pistol. I was never much of a ruger fan due to the terrible trigger and chinese puzzle to disassemble and reassemble the Mark 2 line.

I own a Ruger MK2 bull barrel and several S&W Model 41s and still bought the 44 as a curiosity.

If you are thinking of buying the 44 download the instruction manual and read it before you buy one.

doktarZues and 2740dmx like this.
  14. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

I thought the official release date on the G44 was Jan 20th. 6 days later and there are already more than one kaboom?

Intolerant and Paul53 like this.
  15. rickyblaze

rickyblaze

Looks to me like an "out of battery discharge" I've had it happen to me a couple times over my 50 some years of shooting. Both 22's, first one was a Colt Target Huntsman. It blew the side of the casing out into my face. Lucky I was wearing glasses.
    The second time more recent, about 5 years ago with a S&W 1522. When it OBD'd it blew the side of the casing out along with the extractor. Just like the picture of this G44 shows. So there could have been an instance where the chamber was dirty enough to keep the round from chambering completely and the weapon being able to discharge out of battery. This may be a problem Glock needs to address.
    I'll be checking mine out this morning

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

spork and Mike-M like this.
  16. billy b

billy b

I would put my money on the Winchester 22 ammo. I have had nothing but trouble with their ammo lately. wont buy it anymore. probably a double charge + the plastic slide. is there a metal insert for the breach face ?

17. rickyblaze

rickyblaze

Yes, the beach face is steel. The OBD I had on the 1522 was caused by the knurling around the bullet of the Remington golden bullets I used. They had a bit corrosion and kept the bolt from going to battery.
    A double charge wouldn't explain the extractor being blown to me. More likely there had to be some space between the bolt face and the breech for the gas from the blown casing to expel the extractor. Seems usually the blown casing happens on the extractor side of the casing, at least both times I've experienced it.
    Otherwise it would have just thrown the slide back extra hard or a louder than normal report. I'm still convinced it was an out of battery discharge. I would like to see what's left of the fires casing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2740dmx likes this.
  18. kjphilippona

kjphilippona

Looking at your extractor rod, would installing it backwards cause this?

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

As much as I like Glock, I'm not seeing anything great about the .44. I can see have a .22 Glock, so you can shoot more rounds cheaper in practice, but I can put an Advantage Arms slide on my 17 cheaper and probably get better quality. If you want to shoot targets with a .22, other than for cheap Glock training, get a Ruger.

pag23 likes this.
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That doesn't look backwards - looks like the metal end toward the extractor, to me.