Featured G44 KABOOM

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DirectDrive, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

I guess you cant build a slide the way you do a magazine.

2. Komatsu61

Komatsu61

I will say this, I have a newish Ruger 10/22 that won't run Federal bulk 36gr ammo. When side by side compaired to standard 40gr ammo, the 36gr is slightly shorter. I'm thinking this has something to do with feed problems.

3. winchester62

winchester62

I agree with the above statement on bullet profiles. I put 4 or 5 types through mine over the weekend. Had a handful of malfunctions in about 500 rounds. Maybe 3 dud rounds and 3 or 4 FTE. Also one or two feed failures. The feed failures were due to not making sure the first round in the magazine was sitting correctly. It was easy to see and fix. The duds were obviously ammo related. The FTEs were the only concern. At least one or two of those were while simply not holding the gun firmly. This leaves about 2 times there wasn't a good explanation for a FTE. For a 22 shooting bulk ammo, I'm good with that. If it gets worse, I'll address that at that time.

As far as the 2-3 reports of broken guns? That's likely going to be a problem in a gun that was only released to the public a week ago.

There is some sort of mold line running in the polymer section of the slide just behind the extractor cutout. Last night when I first saw it, I thought it was a crack. Looking closer, it is how the gun was made. Looking at the picture of one of the broken guns, either that line is more prominent in that gun, or it cracked there (and raggedly towards the back of the slide as well). Maybe it's a weak point. Maybe Glock needs to redesign the slide so that the steel part of the steel/polymer slide needs to encompass the entire extractor cut area. It might not take much more steel in this area to solve this (apparent) problem. Here is mine compared to the broken one: 15802351482575411780796031422019.jpg 14pYhVU.jpg

19glock84, Bow Commander and pgg00 like this.
  4. JAGlockGuy

JAGlockGuy

"Because of all these problems reported with the G44, I gave the Taurus a look. Read the article on them in a 2018 issue of The American Rifleman. Bench rested at 25 yards the best 5 shot groups with 3 different kinds of ammo were all over 2.5 inches. That is horrible accuracy for a 22 LR."

Wanting better than 2.5" groups @ 25 yards with non specialty 22LR ammo from a combat style 22 pistol is pretty demanding from my experience. A longer barreled target pistol with Eley competition rounds can do that but The G44 especially and the TX22 maybe are more intended as practice guns for users of handguns designed for combat and personal defense.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. Terry G

Terry G

Glock firearms are as reliable as they come. It's hard to argue with that. This is their first try into the .22 market and they need to address all these issues fast. Ka Booms in a .22? Never seen or heard of one personally. The TX22 doesn't know of it's shooting CCI 40 or 36 Grain or .22 bulk. It just shoot's it. Maybe Glock should try to hire away some engineers from Taurus.

6. Pluto57

Pluto57

Or maybe it does know and just doesn't care.

7. pstmstr

pstmstr

Because Taurus has such a stellar reputation of making quality firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SARDG likes this.
  8. Pluto57

Pluto57

True, they don't have a great reputation, but I haven't seen any reports of a TX22 going KABOOM.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  9. speedway

speedway

Translation = slide is half plastic.

Doc Holliday and Komatsu61 like this.
  10. Terry G

Terry G

No, Taurus doesn't. But they seem to have designed and made a much better .22. At this point the G44 is being out classed by every .22 semi-automatic out there. Picky on ammunition (not all rare with .22's) poorly designed magazine, cracked slides, and the front sight's too low. Before the "Mine Shoot's Great" routine start's, there's too many negatives out there on too many Forums to ignore and it's only been shooting a week.

11. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

guns been out for 8 days and has documented major problems. the reviews from the non schills are coming in and its bad. go watch 22 plinksters review of the gun vs the beretta m9-22, the tx 22 and the LCP 22. its pretty damning when he sighs and says he's not keeping the g44.

i said glock screwed the pooch when they didn't make it suppressor ready and with only 10 round mags. but a week later the gun is actually much worse.

3 years of development. someone needs to be ****ing fired.

12. pstmstr

pstmstr

I’ve seen all the reviews and read all the comments. So Taurus made A gun that actually shoots. Happy with my 44 so far. That could change and if so I’ll let you guys know. Just curious, why do you guys like a 22 with a suppressor so much? Might be a fun range toy but what other use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joe A. likes this.
  13. Jasarii

Jasarii

Cheap fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. winchester62

winchester62

Just put 10 more mags of 36 grain Winchester bulk through mine. No failures. I still suspect there will very likely be an update to the slide, but time will tell.

15. Joe A.

Joe A.

I now have over 800 rounds thru my G44. During the first 270 rounds I had consistent light strikes causing quite a few misfires. I cleaned the black gunk from FP channel and problem solved. Since then in over 500 rounds I’ve had 3 failure to fire and 2 stove pipes from weak ammo. I’ve fired several types of 22 rf thru it and the only one I didn’t like was Aguila SV and it was very weak. It had one of my 2 stove pipes. I’ve had no failures to feed nor failures to extract.

I have to say my G44 is at the very least as reliable as my 2 Mark IV Rugers and my Browning Buckmark. So far it’s good to go.

I’m sorry about the issues others are having.

Joe A.

boilergonzo and Greg Snyder like this.
  16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

n/m, pointed out in Post 58 and 66 already.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  17. MD357

MD357

Going off some of the problems I've seen over on Taurusarmed about the TX22.... I'd say no lol.

pstmstr likes this.
  18. BASE 772

BASE 772

View attachment 691868
    Is the Aguila SV the same as the Aguila Super Extra 40 grain @ 1255 FPS? I’m new to the 22LR world but almost every review I read about the stuff is great. image.jpg

never mind. SV = Standard Velocity. :outtahere:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Karambit777 likes this.
  19. domino1

domino1

^^^^^ Standard Velocity is usually around 1080 feet per second.

BASE 772 likes this.
  20. BASE 772

BASE 772

Thank you sir.