G44 in GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 4 Paws, Jun 8, 2020.

1. 4 Paws

4 Paws

Has anyone had the chance to shoot the G44 at a GSSF match yet this season ? Just curious how RO's have been instructed to handle shooters with legitimate malfunctions. Probably have around 1K now of mini mags thru mine with minimal issues. That being said, rimfire is still not the most reliable as we all know.

2. wlkjr

wlkjr

I've only shot in that division twice and had no malfunctions. I understand they are a little more liberal with re-shoots, or they were at one time. It's a sweet shooting gun.

3. professor309

professor309

Keep running the minimags (40g CPRN) and you don’t need to worry about it. I’ve had one round that did not fire in about 3000+ rounds. My two guns have about 7K total, 3000-3500 minimags.

I’ve shot mine in 2 outdoor matches and 2 indoor. One had has also been loaned and used used by a couple of others and they have never missed a beat at a match.

PM720 and SARDG like this.
  4. PM720

PM720

I have only shot 1 match so far with mine but loaned it to 2 other shooters one of which won the division. My 44 has a little over 700 rounds through it but has been flawless with 36 & 40 grain MM and a couple hundred Automatch that my buddies used. As mentioned, stick with Mini Mags and you should be OK.

5. ede

ede

Any one use Force in their 44? It's been my go to for the bottom feeders.

6. wlkjr

wlkjr

Blazer 38 grain by CCI. No problems whatsoever.

7. professor309

professor309

Don’t you hate it when someone beats you with your own gun?

Happens to me all the time!!!

8. 1cm

1cm

Mine has never had a malfunction. I use Blazer.

I have shot two matches. The only issue is plates not falling. One match they fell everytime, one they did not. Even when they do fall, it is like slow motion. Scoring is difficult. Ask ahead. In my case they told me it was on me to decide if it was a hit or not and whether to re-engage or not.

I asked for a fresh paint, they grumbled but did it. This ensured it would be easier to see hits and. On one plate they thought I missed, but it had three hits (It was string 3) so they scored it in my favor.

9. wlkjr

wlkjr

The rule is that the plates must be painted before shooting either rimfire or pocket division. If they refuse to paint make them call one of the Glock rangemasters with a red shirt.

DanaH, PM720 and SARDG like this.
  10. professor309

professor309

To clarify, pocket only if .380 is being used.

PM720 likes this.
  11. wlkjr

wlkjr

You got me. Correct.

professor309 likes this.
  12. 1cm

1cm

Which is what would have happened, just like the guy who told me I had to shoot through malfunctions.....

13. wlkjr

wlkjr

Some range officers march to their own beat. Others know what they are doing.

14. 4 Paws

4 Paws

I thought a plate hit was sufficient for rimfire, no requirement for the plate to fall. Also, the original intent of the post was to see how RO's are dealing with shooters that have experienced a malfunction during a course of fire with the new G44.

15. wlkjr

wlkjr

Plate don't have to fall if you are using a G42 or G44. You only have to graze it. All other models used have to knock the plates down. Range officers vary from place to place. Most first timers don't know squat. That has been my experience.

misunderestimated, Snoopy47 and SARDG like this.
  16. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Answer: As an RO, who RO'd for the 1st GSSF of the year, then again one month later, we were told to be more lenient with re-shoots on the 44.

When I spoke with the match armorer, he said they are recommending CCI MM, 40gr.

All above is essentially verbatim.

I had NO problems whatsoever with my 44 during the match; my notoriously limp-wristing girlfriend who used my 44 the next day, had TONS of problems. We both shot Winchester M-22, 40gr. 1255 FPS.

17. jstaylor62

jstaylor62

I've shot my G44 in one Indoor match so far and didn't have any problems at all. I'm using CCI SV and have about 1K rounds through my gun so far.

PM720 likes this.
  18. Kilted Shooter

Kilted Shooter

I bought a G44 on Saturday and shot it in the match Sunday in Holt, FL. It ran 100% and shot good groups. It did shoot on the left so I adjusted fire. I moved the sights today. I used CCI Blazer in the match. My daughter has a G44 that shoots great and with 0 malfunctions in 500-600rds using CCI Standard Velocity.

19. Bradley T

Bradley T

Use MiniMag 40 grain and you'll do alright. My team captain is gonna have us shooting plates on Wednesday, and I wondered how well a little .22 would knock plates over.

I shot a GSSF Indoor right before the plague hit, I had no malfunctions, nor did the other Rimfire guys.

My gun has had a few stoppages, but every time it was with some kind of cheap ammo. Even had a couple incidents of severe leading with cheap lead roundnose bullets, AND with that "black copper" Winchester M 22 stuff. Get good jacketed 40 grain ammo for good match results.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  20. insanity.

insanity. CLM

Posting in here as to not start another G44 thread. I keep seeing steel sights cause issues with some ammo. I'll only be using 40gr mm's, has anyone had any problems with these rounds and steel sights? I figured I would ask fellow GSSF'ers since we are mostly a competent bunch :kidding:. Any particular combo you are using? I see Sevigny ran his with a shim (making a .240 front) and supposed to be POA at 15yds.