G43x vs G48 perceived recoil?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ErminioB, Jun 13, 2020.

1. ErminioB

ErminioB

Good day, given that the two models have the same grip and thickness, I wouldn't expect the slightly longer slide of the G48 to make a big difference in perceived recoil .. am I mistaken? Thanks.

2. Chowser

Chowser

I have shot the 43, 43X and 48 back to back in one range session, I couldn't tell.

3. slym2none

slym2none

I chose the 48 because I like the fact I can get a bit more oomph out of the 9mm round even in just 3/4" of barrel and the slightly longer sight radius.

But the 43X is neat.

Boot Stomper likes this.
  4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood

I have a 43 and new 48, and we shot yesterday including some 43X and "43L" combos.

The Fake 43X and a "43L:"
    [​IMG]

The 43 to me is not that comfortable to shoot. My trigger finger gets beat up by the bottom of the trigger guard, and my split times are not nearly as quick (as I recall, in the mid .3x range from previous experience at ~4-5 yards). The 42 was not nearly as uncomfortable. Conversely, the 48 is almost 19-like in its comfort. I havent specifically timed splits since I've mostly been doing whole practical courses of fire since I got the 48, but I'd expect high .2xs compared to mid .2x with my 19.

The 43X is surprisingly similar to the 48 in shooting feel and recoil impulse. Honestly, I think most people would have trouble telling them apart, and I think I'd need a timer and a lot of runs to really quantify any difference.

The "43L" feels notably better than the regular 43--almost as good as the 43x. I have small-medium hands and I think the small grip of the 43 is just a little harder to hold on to.

My wife, who has maybe 750 rounds through various firearms in the last 8 years, and none in the last ~3 years, could tell the difference between the 43 and 48 on her own. It took her a couple mags, but she self-described the 48 as easier to control. This was only her second time shooting the 43 (the first time a few years ago). In shooting the 43, she had a pronounced tendency to anticipate the recoil and would push her shots low when we first started. (Note: she did not have this flinching issue with her original 42). It was improving as we we talked through shooting principles as a refresher for her, but was still there after a few mags through the 43.

Within half a mag through 48, I noticed she completely stopped flinching. After a couple mags, she self-reported that the 48 was easier to control, and started really ringing steel. To be fair, once she got that confidence and we talked a little more about deliberate trigger control and such, she was able to shoot the 43 much better. Still, while we didnt use a timer on her, I could tell she was slower with the 43 even after she got her groove back. Also of note, she did not actually report any specific discomfort with the 43 and for now said she would rather keep it for it's easier concealability over a 43x (she was specifically concerned the grip of the 43x would be harder to hide).

We just moved and again have access to a much closer shooting club, so she will probably get back to shooting a lot more. I think it will take a few more trips, but I suspect she will eventually want an upgrade from the 43 as she gets more into shooting for fun. I am pondering about finding a 48 Upper and letting her run a "43L." Carried in her belly band, the longer slide would have minimal impact on concealability while still offering a much more shootable weapon.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

For me, the front sight tracks better and settles faster with the 43X than it does with the 48.

I also prefer the overall balance, handle ability and looks of the 43X.

Lindenwood and FYRELT like this.
  6. ErminioB

ErminioB

Thanks everyone for your time and answers. Now to the tricky part, find one in store.

7. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

I shot a 43X and a 48 right after each other. I couldn't tell a difference in recoil. I'm sure that there is a difference because the 48 slide has more mass and they use the same frame and recoil spring assembly, but I couldn't feel any difference.