G43 + Vickers +2 extensions = CCP division

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by snowbird.40, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:20 PM.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I think I may have finally found the Holy Grail ... I turned my EDC gun into an IDPA match gun, simply by adding a couple Tango Down +2 mag extensions to my stock magazines. Now that I've figured out how to get those pesky base plates off the magazine (channel lock pliers and a punch), it was easy to replace the stock springs with those provided by Vickers.

Somewhat disconcerting when I loaded the mags to capacity, because that last round is definitely hard to get inserted, but after letting the magazines 'rest' a bit fully loaded, I figured it was ready to test the little guy in an IDPA match on Saturday. The gun ran perfectly in the CCP division, which saved me an extra mag change per stage compared to shooting in the BUG division. Any flaws in the performance were human error, and I wasn't that unhappy about my accuracy and speed on double taps, transitions, etc.

CAUTION: jamming a magazine into a G43 mag well can be hazardous to your health. On the last stage, last mag change, I pinched my right ring finger and had to release the mag before I could get it out. OUCH!!! Don't try this at home, boys and girls :)

Still and all, I'm delighted to be able to shoot IDPA without the mag change handicap and I'm especially pleased to be able to use my every day IWB carbon fiber holster, strong side, because I'm all about building muscle memory with the weapon that might save my life in a violent encounter. I might lose the match to guys with bigger, fancier guns, but if I win a gunfight I'll be a LOT happier.

(P.S. - The Vickers extensions were about $12 each. My only other modifications to both of my G43s are Ameriglo Proglo front sights, rubberized Traction Grips and butt plugs. Otherwise, they are bone stock and I love them that way.)

Leroy00 likes this.
  2. Leroy00

Leroy00

image.jpg
    Hackathorn sights. Talon grips, vickers plus 2 and cya holster. Great conceal piece

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Why would you shoot a BUG in CCP just to save a reload?

4. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

The reason I shoot my CC gun in IDPA matches is to become intimately familiar with every aspect of the gun that might save my life or the lives of my family and others I deem innocent. It's really a simple concept and one of the founding principles behind the IDPA.

I don't know when it started, but at some point many (most?) of the shooters in USPSA began 'gaming' the matches and many (most?) IDPA shooters do everything they can on guns in the CCP division and up. If one just glances at the IDPA rule book you can see exactly what is permitted in matches and, from what I've seen, lots of shooters are tinkering with IDPA guns in order to be more competitive.

As I've said, at my age (67) I have neither the time or interest to attempt overcoming my physical frailties and dedicating all the energy and expense to shooting the number of rounds the top shooters do at my club. I've heard some talk about 500 rounds a week, plus an IDPA match, followed by a steel match, followed by a USPSA match, followed by an action pistol match .... etc.

All I ever wanted to accomplish when I began shooting IDPA matches in 2005 was to learn how to shoot accurately under pressure, be safe with my gun while moving and changing magazines, and not make many mistakes. Only in recent years have I been concentrating on shooting my EDC and I think it's the smartest thing I've done for my safety and the safety of others who will probably never know I'm carrying a concealed firearm.

JMHO

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

I get shooting your carry gun, but why not just shoot it in BUG? You spent money to customize it just to move into a division it's not competitive in.

6. Struggle_Russ

Struggle_Russ

Removing those base plates was more of a PITA than I thought it would be.

7. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

ronin - I did shoot it in the BUG division of an IDPA match and found it a bit frustrating with the extra mag change on every single stage. I checked to see if it would fit in the BUG box with my Pearce Grip +1 extensions and it DOES fit, but in the BUG division the shooter is still restricted to six rounds only in the mags, including the starting magazine. In my crude math, that adds up to 12 rounds for the first two mags, which means I always had a third mag change.

I will continue to shoot the gun in BUG matches with the Pearce extensions and the two mags I've got with Gee Plates. So far, I shoot it just fine configured that way and that's the way I'll carry it most of the time ... however, it's reassuring that it functions well with the +2 Vickers extensions.

Like many of others, I was originally smitten with the SIG Sauer P365 when it was released a couple months ago, but I've also been tracking the issues that have surfaced with the gun. The appeal? The extra capacity in a gun that's about the same size as a G43 (maybe even a G42).

Maybe it's just subliminal, but I think lots of us are always keeping our eyes open for such a gun as the SIG; small, light, striker-fired with the capacity of a G26.

For now, I'm sticking with the G43s and perhaps I'll never make the move to SIG. After nearly 13 years of shooting primarily Glocks, I'm very comfortable with all aspects of the platform and the caliber of a G43 for concealed carry AND shooting in action pistol events.

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Uh, IPSC was started in 1975, USPSA in 1985, Steel Challenge in 1981, and IDPA did not come along until the end of 97. And guess who the first IDPA shooters were??? Right, USPSA Hoser's, including Bill Wilson*** and his homies! IDPA is just another shooting game, that's all, nothing more. There is no founding principal other than to loosely get back to Coopers roots and have a game that's different than USPSA, otherwise it would be USPSA. You can shoot your carry gun in USPSA, if you want, in fact you can even shoot your carry gun from an IWB Appendix holster as long as you declare yourself in Open, Limited or L10 Division because holster position is not restricted. Ask if you can run IWB appendix in IDPA? You can't, but lots of shooters carry that way. As far as mag changes, it's all in the Division. Everyone else in BUG changes with 6 more than 8 in CCP/CDP and more than 10 in SSP/ESP. So what? You are not shooting BUG against SSP.

Bill was on the first IPSC World Team....

9. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

9x45 --- I can't begin to offer much debate with you, based upon your length of time on the forum, number of messages and likes. So, rather than call upon my fragile memory, I went to the 2017 Official Rule Book of the IDPA, page 2.

1. THE FOUNDING CONCEPTS OF IDPA
    Founded in 1996, the International Defensive Pistol Association is the governing body for IDPA competition, a handgun-centric shooting sport based on simulated self-defense scenarios.

The IDPA competition format was designed to be enjoyable for all shooters of all skill levels, with a premium put on the social interaction and camaraderie of the members. Participation in IDPA matches requires the use of handguns, holsters and other equipment suitable for concealed carry self-defense. With that in mind, and keeping the shooters' best interests in mind, IDPA's founders established equipment requirements that are based on commonly available firearms and gear, allowing individuals the opportunity to compete with minimal investment.
    (Hey, that sounds like me!!)

Now, skip ahead two paragraphs ---
    Our main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual. Equipment that is designed with no application for daily, concealed carry is not permitted in this sport. (That's NOT most of the shooters I've seen in USPSA matches, and I think many of my IDPA shooters would be hard-pressed to conceal their mag wells under anything but a coat, jacket, vest or very large shirt.)

Anyway, your points are well-taken. I accept that many of my fellow IDPA shooters are doing whatever modifications they can make within the rule book. So be it. I agree 100% that the camaraderie has been excellent at any match I've shot in: IDPA or BUG or USPSA/IPSC.