Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My five year anniversary is coming up so I got a g43 for my wife. When we have been in gun shops she always talks about how much she likes the G43 and always asks to handle one, the thing is that she wants that "robbins egg blue one"....lol. we have never been able to find one locally so she was going to settle for a G42.

I personally don't want anything to do with the G42, not into 380, the purpose of this gun is for her to carry with her while running, we live in Alaska so her runs take her out of the village a few miles, It's not a bear gun, just for defense against crazy people, wolves and violent stray dogs, she will carry it in a Hill People Gear kit pack.

Anyways, I ordered her a Robbins Egg Blue G43 and a few additional mags. I feel strange ordering colored Glock but thats what she wants.

Anyways, I want this to be an absolutely awesome gift so I am looking for opinions on accessories that might compliment this gun and I'm also wondering what ammo you guys carry and shoot in your G43.

I'm thinking I'll get some Underwood ammo since the FFL I'm going through is Alaska ammo and they are a distributor for Underwood ammo.

So what ammo are you using and what gun related accessories would you get to throw in as part of the gift (we have the holster covered).

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
She might find the Underwood a little uncomfortable in the G43. Start off with normal pressure Speer or HST 147 gr first?

Gun related accessories might include ETS extended magazines. Maybe some Talo sights and / or a Slide Spider grip tape if she has difficulty racking the slide.

If she doesn't have one, a Maglula loader.

Consider a laser bullet for her to dry fire practice with and the Magguts +1 works well for a lot of people (myself included).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, that was my thought....if she likes it, she'll carry it. I was thinking of letting her choose the sights she liked, next time we're in Anchorage I can let her Check out several.

Ill try some of those HSTs, I was thinking it would be neat to get her several types of ammo, this is all pretty new for her.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might want to consider Talon Rubber Grips, as the G43 frame can be a little slick sometimes. I've put them on for several people after they tried one, and have them on mine too.

Otherwise, your plan sounds great! You already ordered the extra magazines, got some ammo, and plan to do some checking out of different (better) sights than the factory plastic ones.

Let us know how she likes it and what you do!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dont settle just because of color. Get her a black one and she will be happy with it, because it is feom you. (Not to memtion that color was a limited run and is sold out from all the distributers that carried it. It was popular, but no longer available.)

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lucky find, by the way. Didnt see that at first. Anyways, as for ammo, I would opt for either Federal HST 124gr. +P or Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P Short Barrel. I would avoid the hot load Underwood because the Glock 43 is nade with thinner metal and polymer to make it as small as it is. They are loading to +P+ and even in some cases, +P++ pressures. (Just what it equates out to, not that there is a measuring standard for that.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont settle just because of color. Get her a black one and she will be happy with it, because it is feom you. (Not to memtion that color was a limited run and is sold out from all the distributers that carried it. It was popular, but no longer available.)

I was just going to get a black one and get it ceracoated for her or maybe get something through the glock store, I checked every shop in Anchorage and they could'nt source one out so I went the gun broker route, There are a bunch but it was hard to tell which one was the actual release and which ones were just ceracoated. I found a real one for only 525.00, 30 bucks to ship and 20 bucks for the ffl, it ended up being about 100 bucks more than just going and buying a black/grey/brown one off the shelf but its all good. She will love it.

I'll probably do something really stupid like buy a black one for myself when I pick it up, then go home and brag about how much I like it then randomly pull out the blue one.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You totally did the right thing getting the color she wanted.

A lot of good advice here, but I think the best thing to do is give it her, and let her decide what's best. A stand off approach is best when it comes to these kind of things; it's hers, if she wants anything done to it, let her bring it up.

The goal is for her to carry it and hopefully practice with it.

That's my free happy marriage advice for the day. :)

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
my Glocks have Glock steel sights on, I have gone thru a bunch of different sights before settling back on Glocks OEM steel for all, but I find nothing wrong with the OEM plastic sights though, and both of you have many happy aniversarys.

·
Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner!
2,296 Posts
Good deal. She's a keeper. Sights, gee plates, ammo, ammo, ammo. Shoot the hell out of it. If she wears gloves make sure she wear what the wears while running. Practice draws etc.

Sent from my POS SM-T530NU using Tapatalk. please excuse my typos, spell check sucks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Talon grips would be good but your color choices are limited to black, grey, and moss. I like the rubber texture grips the granulate is too abrasive for me.

I have Truglo TFO Tritium Fiber Optic sights on my 43 and 42. Great sights for any lighting conditions.

Based on the Lucky Gunner ammo tests (https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/) I went with Federal HST 124 Grain +P JHP for all of my 9 mms. Note the Federal HST 150 Grain JHP designed for shorter barrels has similar performance characteristics.

·
Formerly TFLWYO
1,374 Posts
You're so romantic.

Anyway, I have fired Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P hard cast Outdoorsman rounds out of two Glock 43s, and they have functioned fine. Your wife may want to keep a spare magazine of those handy in her running gear.

Congratulations on your fifth.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Congrats on a marriage that is heading in the right direction when you and your spousal unit both agree on firearms for self defense.

I just picked up my third G43 (after about an 18 month lapse) and I've found the rubberized Traction Grips to be just as good as Talon but half the price. I've also added a Pearce Grip +1 extension to one mag and Gee Plates for the other two ... but if concealment isn't a concern then the Gee Plates might be unnecessary.

I would definitely stay away from messing with the internals. The stock trigger is fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts