G42 vs P365 for pocket carry?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by snowbird.40, Aug 12, 2020.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Sorry for the delay in my response; I've been making the transition from Minnesota to Arizona since about September 10th. Lots of things have changed and I DO appreciate the experience you folks bring to the table.

First, I picked up my new/used G23.4 and G27.4 the day I landed back in AZ. Two days later I shot them both in an IDPA match with my CC ammo: Federal HST 180 grain HPs. I shot three stages with the 27 and the remaining three stages with the 23. I hadn't even shot a gun in about four months, so my expectations were realistic.

As I think Deputydave pointed out, the recoil of the 27 was a wake-up call. I guess I was either naive 15 years ago with my first G27 (and first Glock), or I was a bit younger and stronger. No matter, I didn't do well with the 27 and there were a couple reactionary targets demanding very fast double taps and the 27 recoil was a beast!

I tried the 9mm conversion barrel in the 27 and almost immediately had a major failure to extract with the OEM extractor. I had to take it home to get it unjammed. There went my dream of CC-ing it as a 26 without buying and installing a new extractor, ejector, etc. I sold the gun at a slight profit a week later and the conversion barrel is getting shipped to a new owner tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I found a nice, used G26.4 here on GT and that gun should arrive at my FFL's tomorrow. I'm looking forward to shooting it and getting it into the IDPA game within the month. (Yesterday, I shot a BUG match with the Sig P365 and it simply rocked on, never missed a beat, although I had a couple brain farts and messed up my score.)

By the end of tomorrow I should have the G23.4, a G26.4 (using a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment holster for AIWB), a Sig P365 and the Ruger LCPII. My CC ammo needs for all three calibers are satisfactory at the moment (Federal HST 180, 124 and 99 grain).

The other day I dropped the Sig into my right front pocket in an Uncle Mike's soft nylon holster. The material of the shorts is a light weight small plaid pattern and the Sig rode quite well and didn't print that much. For comparison's sake, I downloaded it to 5+1 and it rode even better, without dragging too much on my leather 1-1/2" belt (the only belts I wear, brown or black, same maker). I figured, what the heck, that would give me one more round compared to a J-frame.

I have to admit, the Sig in my pocket was pretty easy to carry and I'll have to think about the implications of selling the LCP and relying on the Sig for the rare times I pocket carry. It would make life much more simple if I only had to keep track of ammo, holsters, and mags for two Glocks and a Sig. However, I also got a new ankle holster for the LCP and I might be doing a lot of driving over the winter, so that appeals to me.

Unfortunately, I sold the G42. I'm sure it is a fine pistol, but I found my right thumb riding up and messing with the slide catch lever (just like it did on my past G43s). I also didn't get much of a chance to shoot it due to extenuating circumstances.

I've managed to lose about 15 pounds over the summer. I'm now 6'0" and weigh 198 pounds. Back in AZ I'm also back into my exercise routine: long walks before the sun comes up to scorch me, bar work at the gym (pullups, chinups, dips, etc.) and interval training in the pool. So, I anticipate losing more weight in the near future, which makes AIWB a LOT more comfy to me.

Actually, I'm feeling stronger and in better shape, a couple months from the age of 70, than I felt 20 years ago. That was about the time I had my first knee scoped and I had to give up my summers of backpacking and mountain climbing (nothing technical, just scrambling up the scree and bushwhacking in the Absaroka-Beartooth mountains near Red Lodge, MT).

I'm still on the 'journey' and will keep you informed. Right now, my personal stash is healthy, so I can envision lots of things, but I'm sticking with the status quo for the time being, AND I realize I can always forget pocket carry and go back to my Smart Carry with the Sig. Yes, I understand the draw stroke challenges with the Smart Carry, but this method would primarily be to have something during the times when I'm playing with the grandsons ... who no longer expect me and my wife to roll around on the floor playing with them. (Thank God!)

Thanks to you all. Stay safe and keep your powder dry.

2. Rocks

Rocks

SC in a country that's going down the toilet
    Both work. I usually pocket carry the P365 but also pocket carry my Sig 238 over the G42.

snowbird.40 likes this.

3. Bluescot

Bluescot

Snowbird

Looks like you've sorted things out a wee bit and found what looks like the solution for your needs. I would agree with the G42 going and keeping the Ruger LCP for now but then again there is simplicity in having only two calibers IF they fit your needs and the .380 is OK for EDC and SD but not the first choice for many including me. I say that as the owner of a Bodyguard and another .380 which don't get shot or carried much anymore.

I have never liked the appendix carry and have struggled even with the IWB carry using rigs like Crossbreed etc. ....................until I picked up the P365 and found a minimalist IWB kydex holster with a nice large coverage of the slide closest to my body. I messed around with the positioning of this combo and surprise landed on an appendix carry which I had tried before and found that it wasn't working for me. I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 240 and find it actually comfortable for the first time.

I applaud your desire to continue your own workout program and am restarting my own after some surgeries of the past (knee replacements (2)) and some current surgery. Good luck and keeping on it.

Cabel67 and snowbird.40 like this.
  4. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Thanks Bluescot.

During the final years of my career up north, I'd CC a G27 most of the time, carried AIWB in a Galco USA horse hide holster. At that time I probably checked in at around 230 pounds (and I thought I looked pretty good, now when I see pictures back then, not so much).

The main problem I had with that system was the way the slide/barrel dug into my femoral nerve during long hours sitting at a computer, driving, or eating dinner lunches (which I seemed to excel at :-(). It didn't take long for the pain to begin, then my right leg would proceed to get a bit numb.

Losing about 30 pounds has helped the comfort factor immensely, and one more piece of advice I picked up here on GT was to move the rig from 12:30 to 12 noon, so the slide and barrel push down more into my crotch, but not my femoral. Much more comfortable.

Now, I know there are readers out there who will raise questions about the safety of such a carry method, but my retort is that with a high-quality holster like the Galco, which completely covers the trigger guard, the odds of an accidental discharge into the family jewels is practically non-existent. By the same token, I would NEVER try to re-holster in that rig or any other AIWB holster setup.

The gun goes from a nylon or sticky holster between the driver's seat and the center console, into the Galco USA, then clipped over my pants and to the underside of my belt. With that configuration I have often gotten away with wearing a white t-shirt and no one is the wiser. (The only caveat is walking into a high wind, when I casually hold the shirt out from my body a bit.)

Good luck with the recovery from your knee replacements. That makes my two arthroscopic surgeries seem like a cake walk. I'm fully recovered but I had to give up a lot of things I really enjoyed, like mountain backpacking, hunting, tennis, etc. Now, I walk a lot and will cycle a bit, but I try not to test my knees.

Cabel67 likes this.
  5. Ftttu

Ftttu

I've really liked my G42s, but now more than ever, there is more of a chance for confrontation due to the continuing breakdown of society. A G42 with 3x +1 magazines here in the Texas Hill Country gives me relative confidence to go out and about, especially during my daily walks around the neighborhood and to the local stores/restaurants. However, my confidence goes down if I venture to more populated areas like San Antonio and Austin.

Early on, I was turned off with the P365 due to the problems I saw on youtube gun reviews, but I knew SIG would eventually take care of it. I currently have the P365XL and love Love LOVE it! I'm sure the P365 is similar in shooting, but it is just too small for my smallish hands.

So, even though I've never shot the P365, but like the round count and like the firepower of the 9mm over the .380, I'd go with the P365.

To add, I've just been carrying the P365 XL with the extra mag. I haven't put too much thought into yet, but I will probably purchase another mag instead of adding a mag extender or higher capacity magazine. But with the P365, an extra mag may be a better idea unless you are have large pockets for an extended magazine.

6. camelsfly

camelsfly Previously Lloyd Elliott

Snowbird, a lot of gun guys poo poo the Uncle Mikes pocket holster. I for one love it and I have numerous custom made holsters but find the Uncle Mikes #3 very comfy for the P365 pocket carry.
    I have a Uncle Mikes for a Shield 45 and a J frame and Colt Detective.
    I carried a P3AT and LCP for years until I switched over to the P365. I particularly like it with the 12 round mag. I pocket carry the P365 with either the 12 or 10 rd with pinky extension and carry the other mag as backup.
    I think the P365 is versatile enough to fit various roles.
    It is a keeper.

Cabel67, snowbird.40 and Rocks like this.
  7. Walder

Walder

I had a G42 but I thought it was too snappy. I find most .380’s too snappy. I have a P365, a P365XL, a G43, G43X, a G43X MOS, a G48 and a G48 MOS. For pocket carry, I used to carry the P365 in a Galco horsehide holster. My current pocket carry is the G43 in a Galco G26 horsehide pocket holster. I just like the Glocks better. The Glocks feel better in my hand and they draw to target faster for me. I have on carried the P3655XL a few times as I just don’t like the feel. To me it’s all about preference. I like the trigger reach and grip shape/angle. I have had all of these guns apart and assembled several times. The Glocks are slightly easier to tear down and assemble. I prefer the simplicity of the Glocks also. All of these are fine firearms. The Glocks really feel better with the weight of the 15 round Shield Arms magazines too. I just got the G48 MOS which has a rail. I have to swap the frame with one that does not have a rail in order to carry it as I can’t find a holster for the railed frame yet.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  8. Bluescot

Bluescot

If anyone is struggling in the search for a holster of any type for the P365, the G42 holsters fit it just right with a little extra holster length at the end of the barrel.

I know I know I know .......everyone has their favorite holster but in these times if you are not connecting with one you seek, the G42 holsters will work.

9. Ftttu

Ftttu

I've seen some at Academy Sports and GT Distributors in Austin, but I haven't seen anything for the XL. However, I'll be zipping through El Paso in a couple of weeks so I plan on stopping at my favorite leather holster manufacturer - El Paso Saddlery. I'm hoping i won't have to commission a holster and that they will have my particular holster in the holster bins in the back. I will see what they have in stock for the P365 and try to report back if I can remember.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yeah I chuckle whenever someone says some gun is too heavy or heavier in comparison to some other and it's basically because it's carrying more ammo!

snowbird.40 likes this.
  11. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I cannot comprehend this statement. Mine is such a mellow shooting gun.

snowbird.40 and Rocks like this.
  12. FoodBag

FoodBag Previously nutsnax

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  13. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

nutsnax - I actually owned a DB9 about 7-8 years ago. But, back in those days, I had just weaned myself from .40 caliber Glocks, so I felt I had to have the hottest 9mm round for CC. Meaning, I jammed some +P loads into the DB9 and promptly broke it (the gun was NOT rated for +P, but what did THEY know?). They fixed it for free and I sold it as soon as it was returned.

I'm guessing they're building better guns now and if a person sticks with standard pressure ammo, like the Federal HST 124 grain ammo I carry in my 9mm guns, the little DB9 would work fine in a limited capacity as a pocket pistol or a deep concealment gun in a Smart Carry or belly band.

However, part of my mission in life (should I decide to accept it) is to reduce the clutter in all matters, including guns, holsters, mags and ammo. Which is why I'm debating whether or not to use the Sig for my occasional pocket carry duties and sell the LCPII with all the mags, holsters and ammo (Federal HST 99 grain).

No hurry. I can think this through.

14. Smith46wesson

Smith46wesson

I ordered a Galco pocket protector which should fit either of these. I’m gonna try it out. Currently if I’m going to pocket carry (not often) it’s a M&P bodyguard in a Desantis.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  15. Badkarma2k11

Badkarma2k11

I carry a G19 Gen 5 MOS everyday. There are some days that smaller and lighter wins so I carry my sig p365. I have to say I don’t pocket carry my guns are always in a vedder light tuck holster or a smart carry when wearing gym shorts or pants with no belt

16. Cabel67

Cabel67

I have found the perfect pocket pistol for me and it's the Glock 42. Carried a j frame in the pocket for years. Then I decided to try carrying my Sig p365 the same way. Just didn't feel quite right. Just heavy enough to annoy me during a brisk walk. So I decided to borrow my wife's Glock 42 and see how that was. The 42 is similar to 365 in size but several ounces later. To my surprise those few ounces made all the difference in the world. It is wonderful to pocket carry! To compensate my wife I bought her another Glock (she chose the 43). So the 42 is my always companion, and I will add a second handgun when I go out and about. I have come to the conclusion that having 2 handguns on my person makes more sense. In a shtf scenario I can arm my wife if need be. Also more comfortable than 1 handgun and several reloads. This is what I have figured out as my best set up.