Glock Talk banner

G42 vs. G43

15K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  John Biltz 
#1 ·
I have both, got the 42 recently. My thought was the G42 could be a BUG to whatever else I am carrying. Handled and fired a friend's 42 a while ago and really liked it. In the meanwhile, I got the 43. Now, comparing the 42 to the 43, the 42 is only a hair smaller than the 43 and I think if I could comfortably carry the 42 on my person, the 43 would fit in the same spot. I am scratching my head, trying to figure out what is the purpose of having the G42 if you already have a G43. It's only a teensy bit larger, but chambers a more effective cartridge. The 42 is a fun gun to shoot, but it seems superflorous to have one for carry when the 43 can do the same job, even better.

To those that have both, I am looking for opinions before I decide to move the 42 along for something else.

#3 · (Edited)
Well, if it's correct (according to what we told in an armorer class just after the release of the G42) that Glock was looking to capture the growing part of the market comprised of women buying .380's, then they seemingly hit their intended goal. They told us that for the 3 years prior to the production of the G42, the fastest growing commercial (meaning non-LE) caliber for sales was the .380ACP, and of that growing market demographic, the biggest numbers were women.

The single stack 9mm market was already pretty saturated with decent choices, but reading between the lines, so to speak, Glock supposedly wanted to steal a little of S&W's thunder with the hugely successful Shield, so they next tried their hand at a diminutive single stack 9. Great sales figures (the G43 was the best selling model in 2016, according to someone at Glock), but it doesn't seem to have "dethroned" the Shield for sheer sales and popularity.

Even though I repeatedly reviewed whether I should buy either a G42 or G43 - or both - before I turned in my ID/badge and lost my peace officer exemption to buy off-roster handguns, I just didn't see a personal need or use for either. Granted, that's because I already own half a dozen compact & subcompact 9's, including 3 single stacks. I have yet to even think I ought to have a Shield 9, either (they offer a CA Compliant model, as it slipped in before the micro-stamping law took effect, so I still have time to change my mind).

I'm not so sure if that would've been the case. For the folks who don't mind the recoil of a very small 9mm, probably.

However, the people who don't want anything that's more difficult to shoot than the G42/.380 might still have likely have sold off their G43's to go to the G42.

It's not exactly uncommon to see some folks teeter back and forth between the choice of carrying/shooting a diminutive .380 and an almost-as-diminutive 9mm. Some folks are more a bit more sensitive to differences in felt recoil than others. Happens all the time .

Kind of like the other group who like to argue about whether a 3" single stack 9 or .40 is "better", and a significant number of folks use the felt recoil of the .40 for arriving at their decision.

It takes all kinds, and the market is full of all of them. ;)

#4 ·
Oh yeah ....

No easy answer OP. Whatever makes the most sense to you is probably what's right for you.

If nothing else, finding boxes of the more modern 9mm JHP's may be easier, and less expensive, than finding similar defensive fodder for the .380. Maybe. Depends.

Your call. ;)

#5 ·
The 42 is slightly more concealable and controllable than the 43. And that slight difference, for some, is enough to make the gun carry-able and shootable. I too own both, and tend to carry the 42 more than the 43. I have carried a gun almost every day for 25 years, and shot zero bad guys, so my carry calculus is biased toward comfort so long as adequate utility is maintained. I am wholly convinced that 7 rounds of .380 is sufficient to dissuade bad behavior.

I saw James Bond shoot down a helicopter at 200 yards with a .380. Surely it will convince a knucklehead to get the F away from me.

#6 ·
I also have the 42 and the 43. I encourage you to keep them both. You've already purchased them so view them as an investment. I carry the 43 more often, but I purchased a nice ankle holster for the 42 and it makes a good backup gun on occasion. Depending on what I'm wearing I sometimes pocket carry the 42. It's also kinda fun to shoot, especially for friends who haven't shot it yet.

#8 ·
I would much rather shoot the 42 as I just love the feel of the gun, the lighter 380 makes it fun , the 43 is not real comfortable to shoot compared to the 42 but it's a 9mm which has that going for it. getting a pumped up 380 round might be the best of both worlds. I plan on keeping both of mine, I also have the TT +2 mags on both and they run perfect. and Have considered the 365 after the new wears off and the bugs are worked only because of the capacity going to test one first.

#9 ·
I have both, like both, both have their place, but I don't feel they are equivalent size wise, or even close to equivalent. I can't pocket my G43 in any pants I wear. I can pocket carry my G42 in most of my pants, but it clearly is on the otter edge (mainly grip and draw related) for some of my pants, but I can do it.

I shoot the G42 better, but really, only my G35 with gamer loads is easier to shoot well. My G43 isn't terrible to shoot at all, even with my favored +P 124gr HST carry loads, just not as easy as the G42.

I have about 5 guns that make up my carry guns. I don't call it a rotation as I don't rotate them per se. I use the gun that works best for what I am wearing and where I am going that day. I shoot the G42 best of all the carry guns, so it will always have a place. My G43 has a lot of competition from the likes of my Kimber MP9 and my Kahr PM9, likely very soon with my SIG P365 (which I am waiting to buy).

#11 ·
I have both, like both, both have their place, but I don't feel they are equivalent size wise, or even close to equivalent. I can't pocket my G43 in any pants I wear. I can pocket carry my G42 in most of my pants, but it clearly is on the otter edge (mainly grip and draw related) for some of my pants, but I can do it.
They may well be "equivalent" in size. You seem to be pointing out how much difference a small difference in size can make.

Reactions: LPD ret.
#10 ·
I did not find the G43 that difficult to shoot but the G42 is a joy and pleasure to shoot. You always want to break out that extra box of ammo you brought but did not plan on shooting when shooting the G42.

If you want a reason to keep the G42, take a piece of paper draw a circle about the size of a coffee can lid on it. Put it downrange five to seven yards and dump a magazine into the circle as fast as you can. Then try it with the G43. You will be amazed at the difference. For myself, the sights never leave the circle with a G42. Its just that easy to shoot.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies, some food for thought. I have never been comfortable with pocket carry. I've tried it with a 642, but prefer AIWB. With the proper pocket holster, maybe the G42 works, especially with cargo pockets of shorts. But, my typical jean pockets might be a little tight. I might be able to carry it, but drawing it may be a problem, like WW points out.

I'll probably hang onto this thing for a while. I have 3-400 rounds of .380 on hand so I can give it a fair shooting evaluation. If a person wants to use a .380 for CCW the G42 IMO is a better choice than the PPK I have or the S&W Bodyguard I have shot. For a classy gun, the stainless PPK beats them all, but the G42 has made it obsolete for modern carry. The grip and trigger of the S&W BG was plain awkward.

#16 ·
I still haven't shot a G42, but I'm back to the G43 as an EDC after a problem with my right thumb on the slide catch two years ago (preventing me from reliably going to slidelock in IDPA matches). Tried another one recently and I think the slidelock problem is gone for some reason.

So, I bought a second G43 and added a rubberized Traction Grip as well as an Ameriglo Proglo front sight. Now I love them both and shoot them in the CCP or BUG division at IDPA matches.

For pocket carry and times when nothing else will work, I've got a Ruger LCP2; another gun I shoot well in BUG matches and soooo easy to pocket carry or simply tuck into my belt in an IWB holster.

Again, nice to have choices.

#19 ·
Don’t have a 43 but I do have a 42 which I pocket carry quite a bit. It’s right on the edge of being too big to pocket carry so a 43 would not work for me. I love my 42 and I agree it is easy and fun to shoot. I run a TLR6 and Glock night sights with Federal HST 99 grain micros so it’s ready for any scenario.

Reactions: LPD ret.
#20 · (Edited)
....... If a person wants to use a .380 for CCW the G42 IMO is a better choice than the PPK I have ........
Agree 100%. The Walther PP was my issue gun in London in the 60's and 70's and although I loved it at the time, after having the G42 since they first came out I wouldn't swap it for the world. I far prefer it for pocket carry, over the G43, which I also have.

#23 ·
I had both the 42 & 43. My primary EDC was my G19 IWB, (eventually switched to the G26) with the 42/43 used interchangeably in the pocket when deep concealment was preferred. Eventually sold the 42 as I realized I shot both the 42 & 43 equally well at SD distances, both fit in the pocket comfortably for me (I'm 275#), and I believe the 9mm is a more effective round (though I wouldn't want to get hit with either).

I do my best to maintain the mindset of always having a firearm on me when I walk out the front door, even if I'm just going out to throw out the trash. As I wear gym shorts or sweat pants around the house much of the time, that's the only reason I would consider getting a .380 again...but it would probably be the LCP II for its extremely light weight which would work well with the aforementioned clothes.

Carry on...

#26 ·
Thanks for all the replies, some food for thought. I have never been comfortable with pocket carry. I've tried it with a 642, but prefer AIWB. With the proper pocket holster, maybe the G42 works, especially with cargo pockets of shorts. But, my typical jean pockets might be a little tight. I might be able to carry it, but drawing it may be a problem, like WW points out.

I'll probably hang onto this thing for a while. I have 3-400 rounds of .380 on hand so I can give it a fair shooting evaluation. If a person wants to use a .380 for CCW the G42 IMO is a better choice than the PPK I have or the S&W Bodyguard I have shot. For a classy gun, the stainless PPK beats them all, but the G42 has made it obsolete for modern carry. The grip and trigger of the S&W BG was plain awkward.
DeSantis makes perfect pocket holsters for the 42 and 43. Great everyday for me as IWB is not viable on my body (reholstering is nearly impossible).

#27 ·
If they’re both bought and paid for, I’d keep ‘em bith. Never know what’s coming down the road.

As already said, I’m agreeing that they are not really that close to the same size and weight loaded.

I found the 43 quite snappy to shoot, and my 42 shoots quite easy.

As I’m older, the 42 is much easier on my arthritic hands too.

And in today’s political climate, which I fear will just get worse before and if it ever, gets better, I think it’s best to keep your inventory of firearms at the current level, and try to perhaps add one or two as you can and it’s affordable. Ammo as well.

It’s just getting really nasty out there. I’m not selling off anything.

#28 ·
Have both, got the 42 as a gift, then found the 43, carry both. 42 will fit better in my jeans pocket, 43 ok for the tactical and I have some extended mags, +1 and +2 and still can pocket carry ok.

Being left handed, I can grab either and go - Idiot proof's the carry.

42 was originally for the wife, she couldn't rack the slide so I got - but, with aging hands racking either is a bit more of an effort evenb in the last year,

Added the ArachniGrip grips on the slide, nice addition. Also have the Talon grips on both, as well. Also have Tru-glo pro sights on both.

Been shooting the 43, way more than the 42, so I need to adjust that.

#29 ·
The 42 is a soft shooter. I can mag dump all 7 rounds into a person super quick, and super easy. The 43 is not as fast, and double/triple taps are much slower.

I’ve been doing my own ballistic test for years and I don’t buy that the .380 is ineffective.

I own both and I carry whichever one I feel like carrying that day. I am supremely confident in both, and believe that they both will work if needed. I always carry a spare mag or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.