Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had a Glock 42 for about 2 years now. I've probably put about 200 rounds through with no problems and done a basic field strip and cleaning a few times.
This weekend I decided to do a complete disassemble and reassemble. No apparent problems, ejector firing pin and spring, cups all seated properly along with back plate, plunger and spring. Trigger group, locking lever pins and all seated properly. No problems.
Reassembled, slide locks back fine, slide release is fine, trigger reset just like it always has........
Except now no ammo will chamber, not JHPs not FMJ's. Tried factory mags and some after market. Weather or hand chamber, hard slingshot , or from slide release every round chambers half way.
So frustrating, I must have disaambled and reasemblled this gun 6 or 7 times today trying to figure this out. Nothing is bent or broken that I can see at all?
Any advice before or ship this back to Glock?
Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I've had a Glock 42 for about 2 years now. I've probably put about 200 rounds through with no problems and done a basic field strip and cleaning a few times.
This weekend I decided to do a complete disassemble and reassemble. No apparent problems, ejector firing pin and spring, cups all seated properly along with back plate, plunger and spring. Trigger group, locking lever pins and all seated properly. No problems.
Reassembled, slide locks back fine, slide release is fine, trigger reset just like it always has........
Except now no ammo will chamber, not JHPs not FMJ's. Tried factory mags and some after market. Weather or hand chamber, hard slingshot , or from slide release every round chambers half way.
So frustrating, I must have disaambled and reasemblled this gun 6 or 7 times today trying to figure this out. Nothing is bent or broken that I can see at all?
Thanks.
Pictures might help someone identify anything thats out of place. Of the top I was thinking extractor issue but again, would need pics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So upon further testing I discovered...
If I fully depress the trigger, then sling shot the slide as hard and fast as I can I can get a round to chamber most every time. It will not however, chamber from the slide lock or a genenerally less aggressive (normal) racking.
If the trigger is fully forward, it won't chamber at all, with the round half way in, no matter how hard or fast I sling shot it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the schematic, but the 42s and 43s don't have Chanel liners/don't come with them.
On a side note, I did manage to put a few rounds through it outside, and no problems going into battery, feeding ejecting etc.
But manual racking......same issue...I have to slingshot the slide like the Flash and Hercules to get to feed and chamber.
Recoil spring issue? It looks fine.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
So upon further testing I discovered...
If I fully depress the trigger, then sling shot the slide as hard and fast as I can I can get a round to chamber most every time. It will not however, chamber from the slide lock or a genenerally less aggressive (normal) racking.
If the trigger is fully forward, it won't chamber at all, with the round half way in, no matter how hard or fast I sling shot it.
Looks like you might want to check the extractor claw (#4 part in the schematic). Sometimes if there’s a lot of crud under the extractor claw tip it doesn’t let the lip of the cartridge slide under it.

A small pick to scrape the carbon off can help. Also clean the breech face edges so that the cartridge can slide up it without interference.

You could try removing the extractor and then hand cycling rounds to test this.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I remember back about 25 years, I decided to do a full disassembly ,cleaning and stock refinish of a Winchester 94. I also had zero experience with Winchester lever actions.
Well I had the Butt stock, fore-end and various other metal parts all laid out on my bench. Time to start on the action. It was when I unscrewed the second side plate screw and heard a strange “plink” that I realized I was in beyond my expertise. Nothing I did could figure out that problem.
Just a little embarrassing to take my box of parts to my local gunsmith.
You may be in the same predicament I was.

Just curious, but why the need at a full takedown cleaning after only 200 rounds? I have a G42 with about 450 rounds thru it, and about 2 full years of IWB carry, and other than blowing the dust off, and a normal field strip cleaning, I see no point of a full take down yet.
But that’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember back about 25 years, I decided to do a full disassembly ,cleaning and stock refinish of a Winchester 94. I also had zero experience with Winchester lever actions.
Well I had the Butt stock, fore-end and various other metal parts all laid out on my bench. Time to start on the action. It was when I unscrewed the second side plate screw and heard a strange “plink” that I realized I was in beyond my expertise. Nothing I did could figure out that problem.
Just a little embarrassing to take my box of parts to my local gunsmith.
You may be in the same predicament I was.

Just curious, but why the need at a full takedown cleaning after only 200 rounds? I have a G42 with about 450 rounds thru it, and about 2 full years of IWB carry, and other than blowing the dust off, and a normal field strip cleaning, I see no point of a full take down yet.
But that’s just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I've gone over about about 4 diffent complete disassembly and reassembly videos just to be sure. Every part, every pin, every spring is there. I'm not missing anything. I could probably disassemble and reassemble the 42 blindfolded at this point.
To your other question, I decided I wanted to " enhance" the gun so I've ordered a custo. Trigger package, titanium guide rode and spring , titanim plunger and a few other things. Just for fun, to trick it out so to speak.
However, I had only ever done a basic field strip and cleaning so I knew I need to learn how it all worked before I upgraded it myself.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Is it possible that the tip of the striker is protruding from the breechface, blocking the upward movement of the cartridge as the slide closes?
If for some reason this is true, I’d be very careful trying to cycle live ammunition. If the slide does by chance chamber a round,well..... .
Lots of stories on here about trying to “enhance” a stock Glock with less than stellar results.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just to be clear, all the parts in the gun are completely stock correct? You mentioned above, after market parts that you purchased.
To the point about the striker pin possibly getting in the way of the round chambering, if thats the case, I would change the striker block and spring that attaches to it, as well as the full striker assembly to be sure. Again, thats only if that is the case

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
I bet there is a GT-er near you who would love to look at that gun in person. I know I would. There are only a very few things that could cause a problem, and its sort of fun trying to figure it out. But there is a solution. You just gotta find it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Something is not right with the safety plunger, I suspect. In theory the gun cannot be assembled with it inserted backwards: the extractor will not seat right. But I'm afraid something may be damaged just slightly. The plunger on G42 is noticeably different from the old round plunger of old generations and it now has good and bad sides.
{Update: My guess was wrong. The striker assembly had half-cups backwards.}

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bet there is a GT-er near you who would love to look at that gun in person. I know I would. There are only a very few things that could cause a problem, and its sort of fun trying to figure it out. But there is a solution. You just gotta find it.
Re, cleaned , reassembled...again.....this time I did noticed...the tip of the striker IS catching the very back lip of the cartridge. Dont know what to do about this. There isn't anything in the chanel and this is a new issue with this glock.
Again if I sling shot it with all my might it dosent happen. But if I do a normal rack or attempt to do by releasing the slide catch it happens every time.
Fix?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts