G42: has it become anyone's EDC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JN01

JN01

Not really. The bottom of the base plate is about 1/8" thicker than OEM, the pinky finger extension on the front adds about 3/8" over the OEM plate.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  2. JN01

JN01

[/QUOTE]

How does carrying in his home make it a prison? If a gun is kept for home defense, having it stored in one location of the house means that it may not be immediately available if needed in another part of the house.

Your comment seems to be in the same vein as “people who carry guns are just scared”.

GicleeOne and snowbird.40 like this.

3. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

JN01,
    How does carrying in his home make it a prison?
    Your comment seems to be in the same vein as “people who carry guns are just scared”.[/QUOTE]

Close, to have that much angst
    or fear even in your own home, suggests no safe haven or refuge.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. JN01

JN01

So you live in a house where nothing bad could ever happen and live in blissful freedom, no guns necessary. Got it.

GicleeOne and snowbird.40 like this.
  5. Bradd D

Bradd D

I've got three guns sitting on the desk in front of me now. Only one is loaded, though.

6. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

You continue as a newbie in comments to provide comment for myself. I will give you a break as you seem to desire a confrontation, I will further explain.

My past life included Law enforcement and owning/ operating a Security Agency.

Your words suggest past rifts with others. Myself I have (3) floors of living space, firearms are located strategically on each floor, access immediate.
    A security system does exist along with dogs, I myself have no need to carry as access is immediate.

I cannot imagine having FEAR in my own home, I apologize for your discomfort and suggest you seek counsel and medication.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  7. JN01

JN01

[/QUOTE]

You made an assumption about Snowbird living in “a prison” and “in fear” simply because he chooses to carry in his home. Perhaps sarcasm wasn’t the best way to comment on your response, but I don’t understand your criticism of Snowbirds methods.

You say that you have a security system, dogs, stage guns around your home, and are not fearful, but consider a guy that carries one gun as someone to be pitied.

Just because the guy doesn’t do things exactly the way you do, it doesn’t mean that it is wrong for him or that it somehow makes him beneath you.

Pandaz3 and M 7 like this.
  8. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Folks. No insult taken, so let's move on. As I mentioned earlier, we all have our worldviews, shaped by our life's experiences. If Rocky was a former LEO and ran a security service, then I assume he/she has 'hardened' his/her home and/or lives in a neighborhood he/she considers benign. So do I.

As I said, my carry at home is during dark hours before sunrise or after sunset. It's not like a I walk around all day with a gun on my belt; however, from past threads I've begun, I know some folks have to face a different reality and I'm certainly not going to fault them for carrying a firearm in their house. And, while I don't have weapons stashed all around the house, I DO have one nasty-ass Glock 23 loaded to the gills with HST 180-grain hollow points and I've proven to myself that I can still shoot a Glock … so heaven help anyone who intrudes on my castle.

Also, as I've explained before, my threat assessment has led me to divest myself of any and all long guns … no tactical shotguns, no ARs, no AKs and no PCCs. Also, no claymores or other booby traps. I do have a contemporary alarm system that's currently not in use, but will be at some point in my life.

I was responsible for 18 nuclear missiles, six sentry dogs and five other dog handlers at the ripe old age of 20 so, yeah, I've developed a sense of taking precautions in securing my perimeter and my safety as much as possible.

Getting back on topic, the question was whether or not a Glock 42 in .380 ACP caliber was being concealed and carried by GT members as their Every Day Carry (EDC). No more, no less.

I'm grateful for any and all dialogue and have exchanged quips with Rocky before, so I didn't take it personally.

Given the anonymity of the internet I don't know if Rocky is a man or a woman, black or white, Hispanic or not.... it doesn't matter, as long there is an open and honest sharing of experiences and some advice that I can accept or reject.

Thanks to you both for your observations and thank you, JNO1, for coming to my defense. Your reactions are honorable.

My goal is to rent a G42 and shoot a box of FMJ target loads to see if I like it better than my LCPII. If not, then the status quo will probably prevail, no matter how tempting a blue label price might be for the Glock.

Rest easy and stand down. I'm off to bed.

sigman69, buckshotshorty2 and mist like this.
  9. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

Not if you did not own a 43X. Not if you wanted a 380. Or if you already owned a G-42 and did not want to trade up. Or if you wanted the versatility of a flush fit mag sometimes and the extended magazine at other times. More reasons out there.

Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Yes, please do rent a G-42 and shoot it.
    I'm telling you, it made the difference for us.
    Thanks for your service, at 20 I was an Army M.P. buck sergeant, in Korea, oh what time we had, never get that back eh?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    faawrenchbndr likes this.
  11. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Cadillac - at least you made E-5. I never even got a chance to go before the E-5 board. I guess the powers-that-be assumed I had a bad attitude. And, they were right. My total active duty was one year, 10 months, 13 days and 22 hours (but who's counting?). I enlisted two days after I turned 19 and was separated from active duty (honorably) about a month-and-a-half before I turned 21. I couldn't even legally drink a beer when I got out, but I had a Top Secret security clearance for some reason. All the other MPs and dog handlers had Secret clearances. (One of those things I could maybe learn about if I requested my records from the DoD, but who really cares after nearly 50 years?)

Back to the G42. I plan to shoot one in the near future at a gun range with rental guns and ponder the situation afterwards. It will have to be a real life-changing experience for me to shuck the LCP and the Sig in order to make it my EDC. But, who knows? I've done other things that make little sense to others … including my wife of 43 years, the gal I met again a couple weeks after I became a civilian once more in November of '71. (We dated a couple times after graduating from high school together.)

I've been intrigued by the possibility of smaller, lighter, more-concealable pistols for several years now, so the transition to a G42 isn't out of the question.

If you all are interested, I'll let you know my impressions after I've shot the G42.

faawrenchbndr likes this.
  12. GicleeOne

GicleeOne

[/QUOTE]

Dumb comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pandaz3, Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  13. pstmstr

pstmstr

Gone to the first person that sent me a PM as I asked. Pappy1917

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Pappy1917

Pappy1917

Got it and really appreciate it. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk

15. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Why G42 when the G43 is nearly identical and a better caliber?

16. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

It’s apparent you’ve never handled them side by side.

17. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I agree HEX, big difference between the two.
    Shoot them side by side, you’ll see.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  18. Bradd D

Bradd D

It's all relative. I can't see the 43 being difficult to carry or conceal unless one only pocket carries.

19. MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

Sure are a lot of big ego's here.

Madd Trapper likes this.
  20. ksblazer

ksblazer

Besides a mini revolver I have 3 guns in my main carry rotation. The Glock 42 is one if them. Took it with me out to breakfast and grocery shopping this morning.

It's quickly becoming my favorite of the 3. Light enough to forget about. No sharp edges poking into me when IWB. I shoot it really well and it's been very reliable.