G42: has it become anyone's EDC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Not a G42, but a G43. Yes, it pocket carries just fine.

Personally, I think friends don't let friends carry a .380.

2. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

42X in black, please.

cosmose and Quade like this.

3. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

42X, eh? Now, what would THAT look like? Longer grip? Longer barrel? It would seem that making it larger makes it more like my Sig P365 or a G43. Once you get into that size range I might as well be pumping out 9mm lead instead of .380.

fg17 likes this.
  4. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I have an LCP II and had a G42. Although the Glock had much better sights (Ameriglo Agents), I shoot them about the same.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  5. MeatGrinder

MeatGrinder

I carry a 43 most of the time. But I like the 42 when I just want something lighter and slightly smaller. Very accurate and easy recoil.
    I hate pocket and IWB carry.
    I use a Mitch Rosen UPL-EXP for all my guns.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  6. 1911junkee

1911junkee

There is no such thing as a 42X.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  7. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Of course not.

But Glock reads these forums, so it was my request to them.

8. 1911junkee

1911junkee

If they read these forums, where is my G25? LMAO!

snowbird.40 and HEXE9 like this.
  9. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

In that case, probably a G43 for me, rather a P365, even though my G43 only holds 7+1 in a flush-fit magazine (with MagGuts+1). ;)

10. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

380 as a primary? Nope. Not for me.
    380 does not have the same ASAP incapacitation potential as 9mm/40/45
    Untucked shirt conceals larger pistol IWB (Its not "sloppy" and nobody cares) ;)

If you had to defend yourself would you prefer a Glock 19 or 42 in hand? Carry accordingly.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  11. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Didn’t you forget the purple font? :rolleyes:

In real world documented cases [as it relates to incapacitating two legged adversaries], .380 ACP is just as effective as 9mm.

But don’t let actual facts and statistics get in the way of your opinion.

Why stop at 9mm?

Wouldn’t the .500 S&W or .44 Magnum give you better odds at an ASAP incapacitation?

Carry accordingly.

12. Bradd D

Bradd D

That begs the question why .380 isn't more common with LE and military worldwide.

snowbird.40 and CDW4ME like this.
  13. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

In real world cases 380 is "just as effective as 9mm" - please post links other than "An alternate look at stopping power" with the documentation to support that.

A (the) video where a surgeon talks for ~30 min. is another I've already seen. :rolleyes: <--- Appropriate spot to insert purple emoji. ;)

Fact (not my opinion)... In the USA vast majority of police departments issue 9mm/40 or maybe 45 acp to uniform officers, not 380. Wonder why? I don't.

Of the concealable handguns I own, Glock 23 is a good compromise of capacity and ease of carry. I could carry my Glock 20 or 21SF and theoretically have better ASAP potential, but those pistols are not as easily concealed under summer attire as the 23. I could carry my Glock 19 and have a couple more rounds, but prefer the slightly larger 40.

Glock 19/23 or similar size pistol is easily concealed as long as one doesn't have to wear a tucked in shirt (work attire) which I don't anymore.

As far as a 500 or 44 mag, I'd take a Glock 20 or 21 SF over either of those for SD.

If one is limited by work attire and a Glock 42 in pocket is the best they can do, sure carry the 380 its better than nothing. However "better than nothing" is not a criteria I prefer use to select the pistol I'll carry.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  14. joecarp

joecarp

I carry a G43 with 2 spare mags.

GlockyQ likes this.
  15. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

In his 10 year study, Mr. Ellifritz collected, organized, analyzed and published the resulting outcomes of 1800+ actual real world [non-military] shootings. And please note the absence of the word theorizing, as Greg was not skewing or withholding data in an attempt to prove a theory.

His published results have actually been cataloged and referenced by the FBI’s FTU. That in itself speaks of the relevancy of his study.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

If you know of any other published studies that are equally objective and complete, please post it here so we can all gain more knowledge on the subject.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Pandaz3 and snowbird.40 like this.
  16. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Claude Werner is a very respected trainer, and this video is a worthwhile watch.

17. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

My ex-partner ( LEO) EDC his 42, stoked with the excellent Buffalo Bore 100 gr hard-cast, non +P...functions very well with that load...very controllable...he has confidence in the combo

snowbird.40 likes this.
  18. Bradd D

Bradd D

I'm going to start carrying a .32 ACP. It's the top dog and nipping at the rifle's heels.

What is Greg's primary carry?

snowbird.40 likes this.
  19. X RAY TECH

X RAY TECH

I purchased a G42 for my wife. I really am unsure about it as I had a lot of jams with it during the first hundred rounds or so. I was using fmj ammo for practice. I changed to a different fmj ammo and it ran fine. I think it is picky over what ammo is run in it. I also ran a good bit of Hornaday Critical Defense through it with no problems. Being that it was for my wife I have trust issues with it. I checked and it had all the updates done so that wasn’t the problem. Long story short, I just didn’t trust it and my wife now has a new S&W MP Shield EZ 9mm which she really likes and has been problem free.

I guess at some point I’ll revisit the G42 and see how it does now. Funny thing is that when testing the 42 I was also shooting my Ruger LCP which runs fine on whatever ammo you feed it. I really wanted to like the G42 but it just didn’t happen.

20. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

SIG Elite 100 FMJ was the only ammo that was ever 100% reliable in my G42. I replaced it with an LCP II which had 7 FTEs in its first 200 rounds. Since then, it has been 100% for over 600 rounds with several different brands of ammo. I also really wanted to like the 42, but I like the Ruger a lot more. Especially since it's much smaller.

snowbird.40 likes this.