G42: has it become anyone's EDC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Feb 16, 2020.

1. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

"I complained to my retired LEO buddy about the chafing with the Sig and how I'd been advised that it would 'get better' with age. He said, "yeah, about the time you've chafed a hole in your belly and your intestines are leaking out!" Ha ha. What a jokester. (Maybe he was right.)"

I think I solved the summer chafing issue this past year when I bought a package of "Tank top" type undershirts - sleeveless, light weight garments that I wear UNDER my holster, and cover it all with a regular T shirt.

snowbird.40 and JN01 like this.
  2. JN01

JN01

I, too, have to wear an undershirt, hate the feel of a gun against bare skin.

snowbird.40 likes this.

3. notorious_kfc

notorious_kfc

I have had good luck with my 42 but glock did change the magazines, slide release, trigger mechanism and frame. You can see the difference in the slide release and you can see -1 on all the parts on the newer 42s and different numbers and appearance on the mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

CladderPup - I had one issue with one of my three LCPIIs a couple years ago. Called Ruger, they emailed me a label within 15 minutes, I returned the gun and got it back within a week. It's been fine since then.

I had one other issue a couple months ago with a deep dimple appearing on the shell casings of my carry ammo (Fiocchi 90 grain XTP), they emailed me another label and I sent it in. Got it back within a week with a new barrel and a new extractor. No charge.

I called the Ruger service rep and mentioned my other two LCPs and, sure enough, another week later and I get two more extractors in the mail. No charge again.

That customer service makes it hard to get too serious about a replacement .380, even a Glock 42. We'll see. Perhaps if I wind up with some extra jing I'll at least shoot a G42 and see what the fuss is all about. Lots of good reviews here, I have to say.

5. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I can wholeheartedly agree with snowbird that the older I get, the smaller and lighter the gun that I tend to prefer for CCW. Nowadays, I only carry either G43, PM9, LCP or G42. I don’t really mind lower capacity (than 10 rounds) as long as I get 7+1 rounds with MagGuts+1 (which has been working reliably in those guns).
    2479E03F-DAF9-4BE5-86CB-EC37FD296FDB.jpeg
    I now carry my G43 most often. But when I carry my G42 AIWB or IWB on string side, it just disappears under an untucked polo shirt. Due to the light weight, I don’t even feel the gun on my belt with 7+1 rounds of 90gr XTP +P in it.

86846264-3BAF-48A7-8457-CC931633688A.jpeg
    It is also the only pocket carry-able Glock (in Galco PH460) to me as I consider the G43 a bit too large and heavy for that purpose. Nice little gun with familiar platform.

ShaneS, snowbird.40 and HEXE9 like this.
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Only when I can’t carry anything larger, so not too often.

7. SmithModelOne

SmithModelOne

I've carried a 42 for over two years now, and I absolutely love it. I can wear it IWB and not feel like I have a bag of golf balls against the side of my tummy, and I'm always delighted at how accurate I am with it at the range. I make a point of putting 50+ rounds through it on my weekly range trip, and I could count on one hand (with plenty of fingers left over) how many FTF's and FTE's I've had with it.

And it's bone stock. Just regular cleanings.

Mike

8. judgecrater

judgecrater

As Clint Smith says, When you are carrying, no gun is small enough, when you get into a fight, no gun is large enough. I think a Glock 19 is just right. Sometimes I cheat and carry my Shield in 9mm.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  9. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I dont have a G42 ...........yet. With all this fuss ,I might have to get one?
    I've been carrying a S&W BG380 since 2012, and before that a Beretta 950BS 25acp.
    For concealed carry in summer shorts , you can't beat less than 15 oz. loaded

snowbird.40 and ShaneS like this.
  10. Bradd D

Bradd D

Wise words.

11. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

The 42 is just not my Glock of choice. I prefer the 43 and I do pocket carry it in some jeans. I'm not saying the 42 is under powered but for me, not much noticeable difference in size between the 42 and 43. Carry what you like and carry every day. There is a comfort factor in a smaller gun but I'm not opposed to going bigger when the situation calls for bigger and more rounds available. There are numerous handgun choices out there as I get older I tend to practice more with what I own and quit worrying about another gun to purchase. I have all of my bases covered with what I already own.

snowbird.40 and GlockyQ like this.
  12. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

I've only had mine for a couple of months, and my carry mag varies, so I haven't seen anything like this. I'll keep my eyes open, though.

13. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

You guys are making me feel old. My EDC is an LCP. And I'm a millennial. My neighborhood isn't that bad, I guess.

I'm considering getting a G42. You can't get much lighter or more affordable than the LCP. But I do have issues with occasionally bumping the mag release under recoil. I'll feel it pop, but I curl my pinky underneath the mag so it's retained. A simple tap-rack-bang remedies it, but still not an ideal thing to have happen when you need to shoot.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

snowbird.40 and GlockyQ like this.
  14. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I also love my LCPs (the original version). They serve as my “pocket companion” on really hot summer days.

My only gripe is that they kick quite a bit even though I only shoot std. velocity ammo through them, whereas the G42 has such mild recoil even when shooting Underwood +P rounds.

15. zaitcev

zaitcev

For me, the killer feature of G42 is the weight. The size of P365 is about he same. The G42 is somewhat thinner, but also a little bit longer. Unfortunately, weight is where the greater capacity of P365 works against it, although it's also heavier all by itself.

I never proselytize the G42 for EDC. If you can carry anything bigger or heavier, by all means do so.

Over the years, I acquired a number of items of clothing and gear where G42 hits, but even G43 does not (that includes, strangely enough, an automobile with a small storage compartment - and that one is quite a solid fail: just cannot close the lid with G43). It's hard to believe how the time flies, but Glock 42 is now old.

DonGlock26 and snowbird.40 like this.
  16. dsk

dsk 1911 junkie

We're all that way. 20 years ago I carried a full-sized 1911 often. Then I had to start packing something lighter when my back and hip began to complain. Eventually even a Glock 19 or M&P Compact was a bit too much for being in the saddle all day. The pocket nines really solve a lot of problems, as they still hit hard yet are very easy to carry all day. Not everyone can shoot them fast or well though, especially as they age, so the .380 G42 is a decent alternative. No bad guy is going to just laugh off a couple of .380 Gold Dots punching into his chest.

17. mist

mist

Agreed

18. Benello

Benello

Love my G42’s as I’ve stated many times on here. It’s pocketable with most pants, comfortable to shoot all day, and is quite accurate in my hands. I have shot near the top of my class in GSSF with it and it runs flawlessly.

GlockyQ, snowbird.40 and ShaneS like this.
  19. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I occasionally wonder if I'd shoot a G42 as well as (or better than) my LCPII. I've been making head shots with the LCP in BUG matches at the local club where the scoring provides bonus points for head shots. IF (and that's a big IF) the G42 was noticeably more accurate, I might consider it.

My problem is that I mainly keep the LCP for pocket carry on rare occasions and it fills that role nicely. The one time I tried stuffing a G42 into my front pocket at the LGS, it felt too thick and heavy for me to consider as a pocket pistol. The next step up is the P365 AIWB, where it practically disappears. If I can CC the Sig in that location (a spot I like, due to discreet carry with no printing and discreet draw), then why add a second gun in .380 for the same role … even if it is a Glock, my long-time favorite handgun brand?

20. 1911junkee

1911junkee

I do not really have an EDC weapon, but rather a pool of weapons that I draw from depending on what I am doing, who I am with, what I am wearing, where I am, the temperature, wether I am in my car, on my motorcycle, in bear country, etc., etc..

The pool consists of (large to small) :

Kimber Custom II .45acp 5"
    GLOCK 29SF 10mm
    S&W 686-5 Plus 7 shot .357 Mag
    Amadeo Rossi Model 851 .38 Spl. 4", 6 shot
    GLOCK 19 GEN 5 9mm
    GLOCK 19 GEN 4 9mm W/Rail light
    GLOCK 43 9mm
    GLOCK 42 .380 acp
    Ruger LCP .380 acp

This pool has evolved over the past 53 years, not many changes in the last 10 years, no changes in the past 5 years.

90% of the time I have the GLOCK 19 on me. There is a second GLOCK 19 with night sights and a rail light on the night stand.

I would never consider a .380 for an EDC piece.
    If I could only have one handgun, it would be the GLOCK 19 GEN 5