G42: has it become anyone's EDC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Feb 16, 2020.

1. G19Cfan

G19Cfan

I chose the 42 as my EDC firearm because of its size: it is big enough to get a solid grip for precise shots at range and small enough (barely) for pocket carry if necessary - but it usually winds up inside the the waistband. It is thinner than my 19 for reduced opportunities to print. I don't like to rotate my EDC firearm (how can you carry a variety of firearms "every day" anyway?) and stick with just one for maximum familiarity. The G42 is the best compromise IMO.

As a .380, you can't skimp on ammo selection. It is a "marginal" round and some are more marginal than others. Underwood +P XTP is my preferred ammo type. It doesn't expand, but offers consistent penetration with a pretty nasty wound cavity that is not significantly reduced compared to an expanding round.

snowbird.40 and GlockyQ like this.
  2. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

Do you mean “Xtreme Defender” (or “Xtreme Penetrator”)? The “XTP” bullets do expand and expand nicely. Actually that is why I carry it in my G42.

Quade likes this.

3. Dave Stout

Dave Stout

4. CladderPup

CladderPup

Count me as a fan of .380 for EDC. My first carry gun was a Sig P238, which I carried almost every day from 2013-2015 -- and when I say "almost" every day, I mean, I was trying out other handguns and periodically mixing them into rotation; for example, a Ruger LCP, Glock 19, Kahr CW9, 1911, HK USP Compact and some others, but I ended up carrying the P238 over 90% of the time because it was small enough to conceal under semi-formal work clothes, the light weight meant that it was easy to carry and conceal regardless of situation or mood (I didn't have to change my clothes to carry it). It never got left at home, whereas if I only had a Glock 19, I probably wouldn't have carried a gun some days.

In 2015, I got the urge for more power in my carry gun, so I bought a P938 (and eventually sold the P238). I carried the P938 almost every day from 2015-2017. After that period of time, though, I came to realize that I wasn't practicing with the P938 as much as I did with my P238 because the recoil was really nasty. I was carrying it pretty often, but I was starting to reach for my Ruger LCP II more often than not as a lighter alternative. Not that the P938 is huge, but it is heavier than the P238 and weight is a big factor for me. Also, the LCP II, in my opinion, is a really junky design with a lot of flaws. If you want me to go on a tangent, I'll sum up what I don't like about it, but for now, suffice it to say that I viewed, and still view, the LCP II as a wannabe Glock 42. So, I decided to just get a Glock 42, since the initial reports of unreliability had died down and people were starting to report on upgraded parts and improved reliability. I bought mine in late 2017 and started carrying it in early 2018.

I don't know why I've gone through these cycles, but another 2 years have passed and I've been looking at carrying a Glock 43 or Glock 48 (both recent acquisitions), but it's hard to take the G42 off my belt. It conceals so well in my work clothes (tucked in button-down shirt, bloused out over my belt just a bit). It's so much lighter than any 9mm handgun, which makes it easier to carry. It's thinner too, which I feel like is the most important dimension when concealing in formal attire. I don't mess around with +P or other "hyper" ammo with special corkscrew bullets or whatever. I've found some of that kind of ammo to be unreliable in my Glock 20, and I have no real interest in relying on ammo that the gun may not have been designed to shoot to save my life. By the way, I rarely pocket carry, certainly not with my EDC through the years.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  5. James Dean

James Dean

It was mine until I got a Sig P365. I have nothing against the .380. If Glock made a G42 size gun with the Capacity of the Sig P365 I would buy it. I had a G43. Sold it for the P365. I didn't care for the recoil the G43 has. The P365 is a softer shooting gun than the G43.

6. The Father

The Father

Getting shot by any caliber isn’t fun. 380 G42 is fine carry gun

7. dsk

dsk 1911 junkie

I had a Glock 42 but sold it not long after I got a P365. A much more effective weapon that's only slightly larger and still capable of pocket carry (and I'm only 5' 6"). When I need to go smaller I go WAY smaller and use a Ruger LCP.

Nothing against the G42 though, as it's a very shootable little gun and I can see why many folks like it and prefer to keep using it. If you do I recommend putting MagGuts kits in your mags to up the number of rounds to 7 without adding any length. I ran mine with those kits for a couple of years and never had an issue.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  8. Dave Stout

Dave Stout

9. Dave Stout

Dave Stout

I will pay you for the shipping.

10. 1911junkee

1911junkee

I will have to call B. S. on the 42 unreliability, I have two of them, both have had thousands of rounds through them over the years.
    And as far as the .380 being a wimpy round, I think practice will cure most lethality issues.

My normal EDC is a 19, when I can't conceal it completely, I go to one of my 43's, for deep conceal, i go to the 42. AFAIAC a GLOCK has the reliability of a sledge hammer! JMOHO

Steady Glockin, Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  11. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I pocket carry a G42 or Beretta Pico. I use Hornady XTP JHPs.

HEXE9, Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  12. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Of all the models Gaston has made, the G42 is my all-time favorite. There's one in my front pocket every day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    ksblazer, Benello, fxstchewy and 6 others like this.
  13. buckshotshorty2

buckshotshorty2

I carried my G42 for about a year until I got a 365 last month. I’ve been carrying the 365 ever since. I loved my G42 and still do but I always had to remind myself that the 380 was a police and military carry gun for around 50 years because I just couldn’t get past my lack of confidence in the caliber as a man stopper.

Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  14. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

And it's still one of the most popular off-duty calibers out there.

More than 75% of my buddies carry an LCP or G42 when off-duty.

DonGlock26, Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  15. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

And I've only had one, with 4000 rounds through it, and it had dozens of malfunctions, even after going back to the factory.

And I don't want to hear about the limpwristing bull$#!+. I replaced my 42 with an LCP II, which is shorter, thinner and lighter, and it has been light years more reliable.

That said, as I have said in other threads, I think all micro .380s have issues, and it depends on the specific gun you get. My LCP II has been great, but I'll bet there are people on this forum who would dispute that.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  16. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I carry a G42 in my pocket all day every day. My wife and I have three G42s, and all have been completely reliable. I carry 7 +1 with the MagGuts follower and spring.

They have low recoil even with warmer loads. I shoot them well. I find them a pleasure to shoot.

I have most of the other Glock models but am really fond of the G42 for some reason.

[​IMG]

Quade, Dghost, snowbird.40 and 4 others like this.
  17. jamppp

jamppp

Similarly - I prefer my 19 or 26, but for summer and dress/tucked IWB, the 42 is a my pick.

My P365 was an excellent firearm. I just didn't like the grip - it was too "pencil" feeling, didn't point well (I'm used to Glock grips now) and I found it harder to draw than the 42. I really really really wanted the P365 to work out, but in the end I sold it. I hope your's works well. The 42 is an outstanding gun, but it was my 2nd choice...

Quade and snowbird.40 like this.
  18. CladderPup

CladderPup

I never had a malfunction with my LCP II (nor with any other LCPs I owned). I've heard about people having problems, but I think it's more of a lemon issue (something I have experienced multiple times with Rugers). Once sent back to the mothership for a final tweaking, I bet those guns are 100% reliable afterwards.

I am curious about one thing, though. I left my carry magazine loaded while I owned an LCP II, and I had other mags I used for practice. It was probably loaded 6-9 months. At the end of that period, I did unload that magazine for whatever reason. What I found was that the magazine spring in that particular magazine had weakened to the point where, cycling the slide by hand, it would no longer hold the slide open automatically. The caveat is that when I took it to the range, it actually did hold the slide open, probably due to the rocking motion of the gun under recoil playing a role on the movement of all the small parts. However, it was unmistakable that the magazine had lost some functionality just from being left loaded. Have you experienced anything like that with your gun?

snowbird.40 likes this.
  19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

It’s all you need, until a Luby’s cafeteria shooting, or Asian gang electronics store take over.
    If I was at the El Paso Wal Mart at least a G-27 gives me hope.
    But at the Shady Rest, well you just never know.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    snowbird.40 likes this.
  20. Timothy Courtney

Timothy Courtney

Bought a couple pro mag 10 rounders for the 42, testing now, working well.