G42: has it become anyone's EDC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Feb 16, 2020.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

As I age it seems like I'm looking more for comfort of carry than lethality and firepower, which means going smaller and smaller. I've gone so small now that my main EDC is a Sig P365 and I'm liking my Ruger LCPII more and more but I just don't seem to do pocket carry unless the grandsons are visiting.

Fortunately, I picked up a Gen 2 Model 23 from a LEO friend who carried it for about 20 years and I replaced some springs (per GT advice) to make it my home defense gun and occasional early-morning walk gun.

But, I keep thinking about those CC-ers who seem to like the G42 loaded to the gills with something like Underwood Extreme Penetrators in +P mode. While I consider the G42 to be a bit large for pocket carry, I think it WOULD be a pistol that would disappear IWB and everything I've read here on GT seems to indicate it's a comfort to shoot and very accurate.

How many here have made the trip towards a diminishing EDC (in size AND caliber) and arrived at the G42 as the ideal compromise and primary carry gun?

zeke501, District18, Lt. Donn and 4 others like this.
  2. bubbatime

bubbatime

.380 is a solid defensive caliber. Dont let the tactitards tell you otherwise.

And you dont need plus p nuclear loads either...

3. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick

Nearly every weekday I carry my G42 with Underwood +P XTP JHP. I pocket carry mine most of the time, but I wear "relaxed fit" jeans and so it fits in my pocket quite comfortably for me. I use a Boraii eagle pocket holster which keeps the size as small as possible. I have an Alabama holster too, but prefer the Boraii. I do also carry it IWB when needed and it does just disappear. Very comfortable. It shoots so well I just love mine. I had an LCPII for a while, but decided I could carry the 42 about as easily and I certainly shoot it better, plus I would not use the hotter ammo in the Ruger. About the only time I carry my 9mm Glocks are when I am doing guard duty at church and other places. Good luck with whatever you decide, but the 42 works for me.

Pandaz3, zeke501, sigman69 and 2 others like this.
  4. SK2344

SK2344

I' not sure what you mean when you say anyone's EDC but like you, I am now 75 and I have tapered down my gun collection to a G43, LCP II and a S&W snub nose revolver. Having said this and being a Glock Guy, I never considered the G42 a good choice for a .380 because of it's size. IMO, Ruger got it right with their LCP II and Glock got it wrong with their G42! I think the LCP II is the best size for a .380 and I do carry mine in my pocket but I differ with you about the G43 being too big for Pocket carry because I find that it also works very well in my Pocket Holster!

Bomber Nav, Quade, Gray_Rider and 2 others like this.
  5. Robert R Davis

Robert R Davis Retired SFC

I carry my Sig 238 (380) more than I carry my Glock 43X. It has a metal frame that helps absorb the recoil.

6. littletank

littletank

Only carry the 42 when the dress attire makes it the only option, otherwise it's the 43X.

7. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

G42, best concealed carry gun there is!

zeke501, ShaneS, 1911junkee and 3 others like this.
  8. Rotn1

Rotn1

I must say that I prefer carrying a sig226 or a G19.
    If I have to go smaller it's a G26 or a sig 365.
    On those rare occasions I have to go smaller than that it's probably going to be a 5 shot pocket revolver.
    Choices are from habit rather than any statement of what's better

Quade, Jan R Whitaker and snowbird.40 like this.
  9. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 JABRONI AUTIST

I have a G42 and it shoots real well, for me it's a pocket gun. I feel better with the G23 but a lot of times it just more convenient to put the G42 (with TLR6) in my pocket and a spare mag in my other pocket than it is to belt up and wear the G23.

Quade, ShaneS, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I can see where smaller lighter is better as we age, however the threat doesn't get smaller, so there has to be a trade off.

VIS07, Ahmid, sigman69 and 7 others like this.
  11. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Thanks folks. Interesting spread of ideas about what works. Obviously, our personal choices are determined by life experiences and world view, as well as location and threat assessment … the latter two being quite changeable.

I have to admit my LCPII has been unbelievably accurate for such a small gun; I think the trigger is greatly improved over the Gen 2 LCPs. This is just one more example of too much time on my hands (and imagination).

Also, Glock has made my life miserable with their darn veteran's discount. Wish they didn't do that to me so often because it makes me think of buying another darn Glock, just when I feel I've got my armory down to exactly what I want/need.

12. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

My 42 wasn't reliable enough for me, so I replaced it with an LCP II. I still consider my G26 my EDC, but I find myself carrying the Ruger more and more these days. It's less pleasant to shoot than the 42, fer sure, but I trust it to go bang every time.

Rotn1 and snowbird.40 like this.
  13. Dghost

Dghost

The G42 has been my edc for a little over 3 years now.

zeke501, sigman69, Hermanator and 4 others like this.
  14. Robert R Davis

Robert R Davis Retired SFC

I am more accurate with my Sig 238 than any other handgun I have ever fired. Too many people get wrapped around the axle about caliber and capacity, and often ignore the accuracy factor. I have owned, or fired, every Glock model, except the 42 and 44. I plan to rent a 42 tomorrow when I go to shoot my two Sig 238s.

V Gehts and snowbird.40 like this.
  15. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I've also started reaching the point of thinning things down. I am on my third 42 now. I get rid of it and they just keep calling me back. I've never carried iwb with it, always carried it in a custom leather pocket holster. I find the LCP or my Bodyguard carries a bit easier. The 42 will go up for sale again and hopefully won't return.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  16. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

The only time I carry the G42 is when dresses formally (pretty rare for me anymore) for awards banquets and such. I don't want to print when wearing a suit/tuxedo, other than those occasions, I feel undergunned.

17. kody1234

kody1234

18. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

glowrod - what are you thinking your G42 is worth? Has it been reliable? Maybe send me a PM?

19. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

My latest 42 has been totally reliable but so have the others and I have to admit, it's fun to shoot. It just doesn't see much use. My ultimate would be to have HK make a pocket gun, now that would be a grabber for me.
    B02E086C-905D-428E-B6B8-49A04048D47A.jpeg

20. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

I've carried a S&W Bodyguard .380 for many years, alone or as a backup to my now, P365. I pocket carried my wife's 42 for a while until she was confident to carry it.