Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm not a firearms expert, I'm a hobbyist, enthusiast, whatever. Like a lot of you, I've worked on my own guns, but done so with an abundance of caution.

All of this that follows is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I see many, many posts about using aftermarket mag extensions with the G43. +1, +2 sometimes even +4. I have experience with the G43 as I own one. I also see similar posts about the G42 (I don't own one), and sometimes the G26 (I do own one, but we'll leave it out of the discussion).

I *always* try to dissuade people from using anything other than stock mags in their G43 (or G42). My experience with mag extensions in the G43 was that it runs fine with round nose ammo (and still does) and jammed on the last round with hollow points. People here on GT have isolated and solved this issue (I believe) by modifying the ejector (not the extractor) to stop the ejector from canting the top round to the left. I applaud and appreciate this effort, but still do not recommend using mag extensions.

Often times you'll hear someone say "I've shot 1000s of rounds, no problem". Well I'll betcha a nickel it wasn't 1000s of rounds of self-defense hollow points. A 1000 rounds of round nose does not mean the gun will run with hollow points. I too run mag extensions on my RANGE mags with round nose ammo, and they NEVER jam.

When your G42 and G43 was designed, it was WELL tested by GLOCK with the mags it ships with. No, your individual gun and mag wasn't tested individually, but the design was. I'll also betcha a nickel that GLOCK tested with FAR MORE rounds than any aftermarket mag extension company ever has. Note: I don't *know* how much GLOCK tests or how much <insert aftermarket mag extension co> tested - but I'm guessing that GLOCK has far deeper ammo pockets than whomever made those mag extensions.

So if you're walking around with a +1 or +2 mag extension and it's not well tested, and you need your gun, and it jams, you'll have to clear it. That means... ejecting/clearing the stuck round (-1) and taking the time to do it (what's that worth?). Was that +1 worth it now that it never got used and cost you time?

Finally, the beauty of the G42/G43 (and G26) is the shortness of the grip; the grip is the part of the gun that's hardest to conceal. I see no point making the grip of a G43 as long as a G19.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I *always* try to dissuade people from using anything other than stock mags in their G43 (or G42).
I used to as well, but now I just let them figure it out at the range when their guns won't go bang.

Okay, I'm not being completely serious. But mostly. There is no question that a person is more likely to experience a malfunction with an aftermarket mag extension than with an OEM mag. But unless someone asks, I stopped giving advice about such things long ago. People have to figure this stuff out for themselves for it really to take hold. Excessive testosterone poisoning is also a contributory factor that makes a guy want to destroy a perfectly good gun. You cannot overcome that with reason, so there is really no use trying.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Now that I think about it, almost all my carry guns are filled with standard magazines, but are accompanied by extended or extra-capacity spare mags. The purpose is two-fold: if I need more ammo than is in the gun, I need all I can get, and secondly the extension helps ensure that the mag gets fully seated in pistols with shortened butts, like the G43, M&Pc or P229. I also carry 10 round spares when I'm carrying a 1911 and 20 rounders for a P226. I have large hands and the extra length helps ensure that the mag gets seated without eating part of my hand.

You are correct; testing is critical, but extensions do have their uses, assuming they work correctly.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to as well, but now I just let them figure it out at the range when their guns won't go bang.

Okay, I'm not being completely serious. But mostly.
That's the problem though; most folks don't figure it out at the range. Their gun and mag extensions work at the range because most of them are using whatever-cheap-round-nose-range-ammo-they-bought-at-Walmart to "test" with. Perhaps they run a mag or two of hollow points, or perhaps not. Then they comment here/elsewhere how their mags work great, never a problem... and they carry their gun stoked with those mags.

I can almost get behind using a modded mag as a backup, but still wouldn't. When I carry my G43, I have 7 rounds on board and two spare mags (they're small and light). I can do a mag swap pretty damn fast; much faster than clearing a jam. That's 19 rounds that I'm pretty sure will feed and go bang if I need 'em - oughta be enough to get me enough space to be high tailing it the other way.

I do hear ya though, it's on the operator to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully the Sig P365 will cause Glock to think more seriously about higher capacity G 43 magazines!
The specs on the P365 are intriguing: 4.3" tall and a width of 1.06" - with a 10+1 capacity. That's pretty darn impressive. The dimensions are ever so slightly (and we're talking very, very slightly) larger than the G43 and it's also lighter than the G43.

Yep, that P365 could be a game changer.

·
rip "Bud"
10,907 Posts
I happen to use JRN in all my 380 and 9mm. Also happen to use extended mags on all my pocket pistols. Helps me get a better grip with old sore hands.

No Problems yet.

None are used as range ringers or gamer guns. They are carried for self defense and ornery critters.

Except for the extended mags my guns have nothing aftermarket in or on them. I don't need tricky toys incase I'm called in to a court of law to explain my behaviors, for instance.

So far so good. Just one more opinion

·
Registered
153 Posts
Finally, the beauty of the G42/G43 (and G26) is the shortness of the grip; the grip is the part of the gun that's hardest to conceal. I see no point making the grip of a G43 as long as a G19.
This.

I would never dissuade someone from doing so, but it annoys me when people buy a Glock 26/43 and then add mag/pinky extensions so they can have a "full sized grip".

Either learn to shoot with a two fingered grip or just buy and carry a bigger gun.

Everyone is different, I just don't understand the logic.

·
Shellback
5,836 Posts
First of all, I'm not a firearms expert, I'm a hobbyist, enthusiast, whatever. Like a lot of you, I've worked on my own guns, but done so with an abundance of caution.

All of this that follows is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I see many, many posts about using aftermarket mag extensions with the G43. +1, +2 sometimes even +4. I have experience with the G43 as I own one. I also see similar posts about the G42 (I don't own one), and sometimes the G26 (I do own one, but we'll leave it out of the discussion).

I *always* try to dissuade people from using anything other than stock mags in their G43 (or G42). My experience with mag extensions in the G43 was that it runs fine with round nose ammo (and still does) and jammed on the last round with hollow points. People here on GT have isolated and solved this issue (I believe) by modifying the ejector (not the extractor) to stop the ejector from canting the top round to the left. I applaud and appreciate this effort, but still do not recommend using mag extensions.

Often times you'll hear someone say "I've shot 1000s of rounds, no problem". Well I'll betcha a nickel it wasn't 1000s of rounds of self-defense hollow points. A 1000 rounds of round nose does not mean the gun will run with hollow points. I too run mag extensions on my RANGE mags with round nose ammo, and they NEVER jam.

When your G42 and G43 was designed, it was WELL tested by GLOCK with the mags it ships with. No, your individual gun and mag wasn't tested individually, but the design was. I'll also betcha a nickel that GLOCK tested with FAR MORE rounds than any aftermarket mag extension company ever has. Note: I don't *know* how much GLOCK tests or how much <insert aftermarket mag extension co> tested - but I'm guessing that GLOCK has far deeper ammo pockets than whomever made those mag extensions.

So if you're walking around with a +1 or +2 mag extension and it's not well tested, and you need your gun, and it jams, you'll have to clear it. That means... ejecting/clearing the stuck round (-1) and taking the time to do it (what's that worth?). Was that +1 worth it now that it never got used and cost you time?

That's great, but OEM mags aren't perfect either... I respect your opinion, but it's totally short sighted and makes you sound kinda crazy....

What aftermarket mags or extensions have you tried and what were the results of those trials?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's great, but OEM mags aren't perfect either... I respect your opinion, but it's totally short sighted and makes you sound kinda crazy....

What aftermarket mags or extensions have you tried and what were the results of those trials?
I'm not the only one who shares that opinion... maybe crazy has company?

As for what I tried and the results; in the G43 I tried Pearce +1 and ETS mags - both jammed in different ways.

Do you think that GLOCK would add capacity to the G43 mags if it was as easy as adding an extension?

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I was one of those who participated on some threads gunquest created about a year or so ago. I was one that learned from gunquest how to modify my ejector on my G43 so my G43 would function properly when using my favored MagGuts +1 extensions.

I did the modification and removed the issue with my G43. This was not a fix that overlooked any other functional deficiencies in the gun. The feed failures while first noticed with my preferred carry rounds of Federal HST 124gr +P, were reproducible with various other reloads of mine both JHP and even some jacketed RN when abnormal OALs were introduced and all indicated where the issue lay. By modifying my ejector, the problem and the misfeeds were addressed.

I am perfectly satisfied that in my G43 the issue was addressed and the problem resolved. After running hundreds of round of each of the noted problem round styles through my magazines that I use for carry, all with the MagGuts +1 kit, I am satisfied the magazines are good for daily use and I use them that way. I have since indeed shot thousands of carry loads through my G43, both actual and my simulations.

I use MagGuts +1 with my G42 unmodified and my Kahr P380 again unmodified in any way and am quite confident they function properly in my guns.

I respect anyone's decision to run a completely stock Glock believing it gives them their best chance at a zero defects experience with their chosen weapon. Frankly, looking at the way the ejector pressed on the top round of my G43, I don't share that blind faith that everything stock Glock was my best chance.

·
Shellback
5,836 Posts
I'm not the only one who shares that opinion... maybe crazy has company?

As for what I tried and the results; in the G43 I tried Pearce +1 and ETS mags - both jammed in different ways.

Do you think that GLOCK would add capacity to the G43 mags if it was as easy as adding an extension?
Everyone has an opinion......

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I use a Pearce +1 and while the last round has never jammed the slide will run over the last round instead of chambering it about 10% of the time. That is with both the 147 grain practice ammo and 135 grain +P hollowpoints I use. Ammo with lighter bullets works better. So I view my G43's capacity as 7 for sure and an 90% chance of 8 rounds of 9mm. Having 7 for sure and a 0% chance of 8 is not any better.

If I carried spare magazines or the +1 caused problems with the first 6 rounds I would quit using them. But until then I am sticking with the +1 baseplates. I am switching to 124 grain hollow points though.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Yes. I have stock GLOCK 19 mags with factory extensions on them. Likewise SIGs, though their mags are made by a contractor. I believe Kahr has extended mags for some of their guns. I wish I could get extended mags for my 43 that were from GLOCK.

·
Shellback
5,836 Posts
I think I stated that in my OP.
Right, I'm still trying to figure out the point of this thread.... That the other 8000 threads like this didn't address.. like the old one you posted in yesterday.

Again, please tell us what magazines and/or extensions have you tried and failed you?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.