G42 feeding problem with GDHP?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sh00t3r, Oct 14, 2019.

1. sh00t3r

sh00t3r

Anyone else have trouble with Gold Dots? When I load a mag and try to chamber a round, I've had many, many jams. The nose of the bullet seems to get caught up on the ramp. Wondering if this is a known issue? I've shot this gun at the range, and can't remember having any issues, but that was mostly with FMJ.

2. Chaos Cosmonaut

Chaos Cosmonaut

Make sure you are not riding the slide when you release it. Since JHP rounds have a potentially sharp edge and not a round nose they tend to hang on the feed ramp when you ride the slide to chamber a round. Let the slide slam when you depress the Slide Stop Lever. Also are you using any aftermarket magazine extensions?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019

3. sh00t3r

sh00t3r

Thanks. I don't think I'm riding it, but I'll make a more conscious effort not to. Funny thing is, when I load up a mag of critical defense, I don't have issues feeding. Maybe since the bullet is more tapered?

Chaos Cosmonaut likes this.
  4. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper

If it indeed turns out to be an ammo issue, try some Winchester PDX1.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

What number mags are you using?

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  6. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I have not had any feeding malfunctions with any factory ammo, including Gold Dots (100-ish), Critical Defense, Hydra Shoks, PDX1, Hornady Custom and American Gunner, HST or any ball ammo. All of my magazines are revision 3 models. I almost always use the slide stop lever to release the slide rather than the slingshot method, which eliminates any possibility of riding the slide.

GlockyQ likes this.
  7. dg370

dg370

How do you identify a revision 3 mag?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. L-2

L-2

Regarding Post 7, the current, latest G42 mags will have the numbers "03" stamped into the mag body.

MedicineBow likes this.
  9. MajorD

MajorD

I have had some hp’s Sort of hesitate or need a tap of the slide to fully chamber the first round by hand but they always run when firing so it is not a concern.

10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I suggest you call Glock and tell them your problems and concerns. I bought G42 and was disappointed with its performance. Glock sent me a prepaid shipping label. I sent the gun back to to Glock and about 10 days later I had an updated G42 that ran great. They updated several parts and replaced the magazines.

GlockyQ likes this.
  11. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

My G42 came with whatever parts Glock updated and the latest “03” mags. It feeds Speer Gold Dot and Underwood Gold Dot (as well as various other JHPs I tried) with no issues whatsoever.

Does your G42 have all the updates and the latest “03” mags? If not, you probably need to contact Glock.

12. bubbatime

bubbatime

My go to round for .380 is Speer Gold Dots. I have run hundreds of them through my early Glock 42 and it has never jammed. Ever. Try them at an actual gun range while shooting, and see if they work.

GlockyQ likes this.
  13. Kennydale

Kennydale

I had an original G42 ( Won it in a raffle) Had numerous Failure To Feed issues and went back to Glock (Smyrna, GA twice). finally after replacing a few parts ( Thankyou fast Glock CS) and TLC breaking in with various ammo. I sold it to a young lady that wanted it to compete in Girls With Gun League events ( PS she was also partially blind and had a Texas LTC). Kept it for a long 4 months but I would not trust to carry it, nor have my wife carry it.

G42 - 2.jpg

14. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

We have (3) early G42s that have all been back to Glock for upgrades. All 3 eat like teenagers eat junkfood now. One of them had a hard time feeding and a Glock tech did some work on the feedramp and chamber. It was reliable but you could tell feeding was a little difficult. Feeds smooth as warm butter now. Carry it every day.

GlockyQ likes this.
  15. zaitcev

zaitcev

I carried GDs before I settled on Hornady. I hate to say this, but it may be time to send it to Glock. The reason is, I never saw anyone being able to fix these issues at home, unless it's a fault of an easy to replace component, like the RSA. It could be a bad barrel, just slightly out of specification when machined, and you'll never find out. On the upside, they usually do not take long.

MedicineBow, GlockyQ and ShaneS like this.
  16. sh00t3r

sh00t3r

Thanks, guys. I was just messing around with it a few minutes ago, and it still jams, even with the Hornady CD. I don't think it's my technique, because I locked the slide back, popped in a mag, hit the slide release, and it still failed to feed =(

I figured out that I can clear the jam by slapping the bottom of the mag with my palm. I wonder if maybe it's a mag issue, although they both do it. Also, they do have a "3" on them. Sounds like my best bet is to either call Glock, or just sell thing. If I'm carrying .380, I usually just bring my LCP, so this G42 doesn't see much use, anyway.

Even when it doesn't jam, I can feel the slide sort of hesitate a bit as it's flying forward and the bullet it making contact with the ramp.

17. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

Don't give up on the G42! A quick trip to Glock will get it running like a sewing machine. The G42 is a sweet shooter.

MedicineBow and GlockyQ like this.
  18. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

If you are using the latest “03” mags and the gun still fails to feed GD and Hornady CD, probably the gun is at fault. Time to call Glock and have them fix it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    MedicineBow and sh00t3r like this.
  19. V Gehts

V Gehts

My 42 is particular with HP ammo.
    This Remington HTP works great in my 42.
    Found it at Cabelas.

8B74F23C-3BFE-4230-80ED-F30FF8565F43.jpeg

20. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

I just picked up another 42 and chronographed some loads a few days ago. I only shot 5 per type of cartridge, but it fed without malfunction 90 grain Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators, Federal Low Recoil Hydra Shoks, Speer Gold Dots, Hornady American Gunner (XTP), Remington UMC 95 grain ball, and a 95 grain FMJ flat point handload.

I agree with the others who stated that it is time to call Glock.

GlockyQ likes this.