Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Glocked out, have a new SIGness!
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's an odd thing, but I really want one. I've watched some videos of guys shooting them, and one fella had some feeding issues. I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried it, or had fire one? I see Lonewolf still makes the barrels.

I just want to be able to say, "hey I got a Makarov, but it's a Glock too"

Reactions: corvos

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
A few guys have done it. There are a number of threads on the subject if you can get search working.

You could also short cut the process and PM M2, he reloads, appears to be a MAK expert and although isn't much of a Glock and specifically G42 fan, I think he got his working (one of the first customers from Lone Wolf).

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,622 Posts
I'm now awaiting a 9mm Borchardt conversion barrel for my G42. Should be here soon. Hope to post a range report.

·
2,622 Posts
It’s not a Mak. It’s just a Glock with a different barrel.

The 9x18 doesn’t offer enough of an increase in power to offset so many less choices in defensive ammo, in my opinion
Did someone in this thread call a G42 with a 9x18 conversion barrel a Mak? I missed it. It clearly is not a Mak. My East German and Russian Maks are Maks though.

The choices in available 9x18 defensive ammo are not relevant to me. The ability to shoot 9x18 steel cased ammo in a locked breech design is however. I have thousands of rounds of such ammo. Not so much in .380 defense ammo. Although I wouldn't be concerned using Silver Bear 9x18 JHP in a pinch.

Reactions: AdamRodgers

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I shoot Mak’s. There is only so much a blowback pistol can take.
Since the G42 handles the hottest 380 loads vey well(Mak territory anyway)that it would be a great fit for a reloaded/caster hobbyist.
If you buy your ammo I’d recommend against it.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Lagamor, any reason to not load to Mak levels in the .380 case? A silly millimeter doesn't really buy enough powder space to signify, and it would be the province of reloaders in .380 cases.
It would seem to me the conversion would only make sense if you want to buy/shoot cheap steel case ammo.
Moon

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Lot of recipes out there for Mak, but you could push performance if your 380 loads. Factory rounds have been doing it, I’m sure 380 loads are out there.
I was invested in Mak before the G42 came out, so it might not be worthwhile to someone just now thinking about it.
I like the G42 a lot, but for me it’s bigger than I want to carry now and doesn’t hold enough rounds for its under powered cartridge so it’d just be a range toy.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The main theory behind the “Mak” if your Russian or “Ultra” if your German is that they wanted to get the most out of a metal blowback pistols. Very popular at the time for those cultures, besides being cheap and easy to produce.
If you load Mak to the highest listed loads you’ll understand what it means when they say “batter a slide”.
I believe 1050 FPS on a 95 grain Bullet was the standard Russian load. You’ll feel the slide smack the frame like the spring wasn’t there if you shoot that.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Lag', that is precisely what makes even the PPK in .380 snappy. Kinda like jumping off a building; the sudden stop is the issue.
A buddy, for whatever reason, has just been on a Mak jag. He picked up one made in the former East Germany, and contends they're the best of the lot.
Moon

Reactions: Lagamor

·
2,622 Posts
Many agree that the East German Maks are the best in fit and finish. The bluing on the couple I own is amazing.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
30,515 Posts
I bought a 9x18 barrel for my G42's.

It took a lot of tinkering to get it to function most of the time.

Just last week I put the barrel in in one of the G42's again to plink with.
Just not as much fun as shooting a Makarov (I have 17).

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Airsoft gun

Including the .380.

Illustration

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.