Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoutout to all G42 owners: Has anyone been trying the new PolyCase ARX (copper/polymer matrix) ammo in the G42?

I've read glowing reviews about the way it performs, but nothing so far about how well it cycles the G42. Then, there's the question about whether the bullet's material could do bad things to the polygonal barrel. (If you forgive me, I"m hoping to hear about practical experience -- not just mere theory).

More info about the ammo can be found here. http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-10-07a.html

Other than that -- what's your recommendation for self-defense ammo in the G42?

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Shoutout to all G42 owners: Has anyone been trying the new PolyCase ARX (copper/polymer matrix) ammo in the G42?

I've read glowing reviews about the way it performs, but nothing so far about how well it cycles the G42. Then, there's the question about whether the bullet's material could do bad things to the polygonal barrel. (If you forgive me, I"m hoping to hear about practical experience -- not just mere theory).

More info about the ammo can be found here. http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-10-07a.html

You are asking a lot for an ammo type as limited in caliber and as new as this stuff is, check back in a couple of years .

·
NRA Member
1,065 Posts
I've shot both the .380 from my 42 and the 9mm from my 43 and I really like them. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with them yet because I only bought two boxes of each from Cabelas before they sold out. Both guns have gone through 3 mag fulls each and so far have functioned perfectly. They seem to fire with a little less recoil and have a different report with more of a pop. As for the barrel, I can't tell if the polymer bullet used would have any long term detriments like a build up of material. I would like to buy more when and if they become available. As for other self defense rounds, I'm a fan of Speer's Gold dots and Hornady Critical Defense FTX or Custom XTP.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've read glowing reviews about the way it performs, but nothing so far about how well it cycles the G42. (...)
Unfortunately, my experience suggests that Glock 42 will not cycle modern light bullet ammo reliably. Most typical failure is an FTE of some kind, like a stovepipe. The Barnes TAX-XP is the prime example. ARX takes this trend even further by loading a 56 grain bullet. I haven't shot it, but I expect bad results.

I had good luck with heavier composite bullets, such as Hornady FTX in their Custom line. It uses a 90 grain bullet and works reliably. I also have high hopes for Hornady XTP of the same weight.

Gold Saber is reported to have a very poor penetration in 380, unfortunately. It was one of the early advanced rounds that opened the door for the renaissance of 9mm, but I don't think it makes sense in Glock 42.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I picked up a couple of boxes of the Ruger ARX in 380 last month. I figure that any ammo that Ruger is willing to put their name on is worth taking a look at, especially after seeing 1300+ fps velocity printed on the box!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I settled on the Lehigh Defense 90 grain .380, it's performance in ballistic gel is very good and it's typical .380 bullet weight is comforting - I'm happy with it.

Friends have bought the Polymax ammo. They haven't shot it yet, but show it off like they found a treasure! The Ruger branding doesn't impress me.

It looks like Polymax has a similar profile to the LeHigh ammo. I would not be as concerned with the bullet construction as I would the very light weight of the bullet itself. Unless you are driving that 56 grain pellet very fast I don't see getting decent penetration out of it.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've heard their rifle ammo is top-notch.I have a box of the Polycase ARX chambered for the .45 auto. Fired one round into a milk jug is all. I'd like to play around with it some more, just to see how it does. There hasn't been a lot of independent testing on the stuff yet, I don't know about the LeHigh ammo. I wouldn't personally use it for carry at this point. There are safer bets.

·
Registered
74 Posts
153,lehigh doesnt.make.a 90 grain ex,treme defense round in a 380 round.90 grain might be option for the xtreme penetrator in a 9mm round but not the 380

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There are no magic bullets. There are no magic bullets. There are no magic bullets.

Repeat as needed.

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't own a G42, although it is on my list for a purchase in the near future.

I haven't shot the Polycase, although I've read a bit about it and really, really, really want this to be a viable carry round.

So, in spite of not being qualified to answer your question, why am I responding? Because I have my own question regarding this round, one which hasn't been answered anywhere I post it.

What, exactly, can you expect this round to do when it encounters bone? In a self-defense shooting, I fully anticipate that my round is going to encounter bone…cranium, sternum, rib…heck, even arm bones if the bad guy has raised his hands in a self-defense posture. The Polycase FAQ section is extremely vague on this, and the fact that The Truth About Guns says if fractured into pieces when struck by a hammer concerns me.

This round is often compared to the Extreme Defender or Extreme Penetrator rounds, but those are far heavier and relatively barrier-blind. By contrast, if the Polycase splinters upon contact with bone, we would expect that real world results (vs. gel) would show extremely compromised penetration results.

Whether it cycles reliably in a G42 is a whole other conversation. FWIW, I don't care if it cycles if the end result is a round with crappy real world result in a human body.

·
Gunslinger
2,063 Posts
I suppose I've not remained as up to date as I should when it comes to modern ammunition options. I am of the opinion that in .380, you're going to want some weight behind the bullet to achieve desired results. The most non-traditional approach I've been willing to take in the caliber has been Hornady Critical Defense, and I'm comfortable with those in my little Glock 42. Then again, I prefer something along the lines of a Speer Gold Dot, and unless I see convincing evidence for why I should change... Those are my carry choices in my 42.

As for the construction of the bullet, and its potential for fouling the barrel... I'd need to see evidence that it either doesn't do so, or a really impressive argument as to why it performs so much better than traditional options to risk it.

I love my little Glock 42, and I trust my safety to it daily. I am however, kinda particular about what I feed it outside of the range.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
153,lehigh doesnt.make.a 90 grain ex,treme defense round in a 380 round.90 grain might be option for the xtreme penetrator in a 9mm round but not the 380
The old saying that shot placement is everything really is true with the .380. There just isn't much power there to do a lot damage or to matter about what ammo you're using. Your best bet with the .380 is to practice head shots and always wear good running shoes. I think of my LCP more as a aid to escape than a fighting instrument. If it goes bang when I pull the trigger it has probably served its most useful purpose.

·
Banned
1,407 Posts
There are no magic bullets. There are no magic bullets. There are no magic bullets.

Repeat as needed.

Dave
Tell that to Werewolves. I have silver bullets just in case. A failure to plan is a plan to fail. I know zombies are "In" now for hunting but Werewolves are much faster. No concrete terminal data yet on shape shifting reptilians so the tinfoil hat is still a necessity I'm afraid

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would be very leery about the ammo like the Polycase Inceptor and Lehigh XP and XD.

In ballistic gel, they show very good performance. However, ballistic gel is only good for two things- showing approximate expansion of hollow point bullets in human tissues and showing approximate penetration in human tissues.

Human tissues are very elastic and stretch quite a bit when bullets impact them. Until bullet impact velocity hits about 2200 FPS, human tissues tend to stretch out of the way, then snap back into place without much damage. All you are doing is punching a hole. When you get above approximately 2200 fps, then you start stretching the tissues beyond their elastic limits and start tearing. This is one reason why rifles are so destructive, rifle bullets typically exceed 2200 fps. Handgun bullets do not.

Gel is not as elastic as human tissues. Gel will typically show lots of tearing with handgun bullets, when in real life, handgun bullets will typically NOT tear tissues like the gel. This is because you have exceeded the elastic limits of the gel, where the same bullet will not exceed the elastic limits of human tissues. When you start getting into the real nuts and bolts of ballistic gel testing, you will find that all the gel is supposed to do is represent reasonably accurate expansion and penetration, not overall damage, when compared to human tissues.

For this reason, I'm not very enthused about the specialty ammo like Polycase Inceptor and Lehigh XD and XP. They rely on specialty bullets to redirect fluid and tissue to cause wounding, not expansion of the bullet itself. However, since the bullets aren't traveling fast enough to exceed the elastic limits of the tissues, the tissues should just move out of the way, then snap back into place after the bullet passes. In fact, they should probably cause less wounding than traditional hollow points, because the hollow points open up, pushing a larger diameter chunk of lead through the tissues, making a larger hole. With the elastic nature of human tissues, the Inceptor, XD and XP should, in fact, make a smaller hole more similar to FMJ because the elastic tissues move out of the way, then snap back into place after the bullet passes.

I hope I'm wrong about the specialty bullets. I hope they will work out better than traditional hollow points. However, I doubt they will. I know that I won't be carrying them until they have a solid track record on the street. Until they have some real world shootings and we can see exactly how they work on humans. I'd stick to proven performers.

.380 is a funny beast when it comes to hollow points. .380 really is on the edge in regards to power. Typically with .380, you can either have expansion or penetration, but not both because of the limited amount of power. A perfect example is Federal's HST in .380. According to all reports I have seen or read, it expands WONDERFULLY, to very large diameters. Unfortunately, it also penetrates very poorly, somewhere in the vicinity of 7-8". This is nowhere near the FBI recommendations of at least 12".

There are a few reasonably well performing loads in .380. Typically, the best ammo tends to use Hornady's XTP bullets. They expand modestly, but they do tend to expand consistently, and tend to penetrate to about 12" or a little more. Speer Gold Dots also tend to perform reasonably well. They tend to not penetrate quite to 12" but get pretty close, while expanding well. Strangely enough, Federal Hydra Shoks also tend to perform reasonably well. They don't expand very well at all, and when they do they tend to expand unevenly, but they do tend to stop penetrating before they reach 18", which is the FBIs maximum recommended penetration goal. Everything else I have seen testing on either tends to overexpand and underpenetrate or underexpand and overpenetrate.

Bottom line, stick with proven performers until the new stuff proves how it performs in humans.

Bub

·
Supports Our Flag
4,143 Posts
The Ruger ARX is a cast bullet and has shown to easily fracture and break apart in barrier testing.

Whereas the Lehigh is CNC machined from solid copper bar stock and will not fracture or break apart.

ARX = Complete junk that has gained a foothold through paid ads, paid reviews and smart marketing.

Lehigh = The real deal that relies on performance and consistency, not BS marketing hype.

·
Registered
114 Posts
In my 42 I want penetration. The little 380 round lacks in that department if you have expanding bullets. So, I'm using Underwood Extreme Penetrators. They have better velocity than the Lehigh round, and use the same Lehigh bullet. Shootingthebull's ammo quest has shown pretty good results with the Underwood load in 380. For my 9's and .45's it's Federal HST's all the way. I like the 124grn +P's in 9mm, and 230grn +P's in .45. Those loads have shown the best performance in most all of the tests that I've seen on youtube. Massive expansion, even through denim, and great penetration, but doesn't over penetrate. So, the HST's ride in most of my defense pistols.

·
Retired Fed LEO. USMC late 1960s.
434 Posts
I've fired a box of the ARXs through my old PPK with 100% reliability. I like the concept of this and the Black Hills Honeybadger ammo. I'm not about to become a beta tester so on the rare occasion that I carry my PPK, it will be with CorBons until real world data is available.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Human tissues are very elastic and stretch quite a bit when bullets impact them. Until bullet impact velocity hits about 2200 FPS, human tissues tend to stretch out of the way, then snap back into place without much damage. All you are doing is punching a hole. When you get above approximately 2200 fps, then you start stretching the tissues beyond their elastic limits and start tearing. This is one reason why rifles are so destructive, rifle bullets typically exceed 2200 fps. Handgun bullets do not.
There are other ways a bullet can be very effective without tearing flesh by velocity. But since your standard is 2200 fps then the 357 Sig loaded with the Underwood 65gr XD at 2100 fps out of a 4 inch barrel, faster out of a 4.5 inch barrel and going beyond 2200 fps out my G31 with my 6 inch LW barrel in it, it meets your standard. With velocity to deliver shock, flesh tearing, more ft/lbs of energy than a 357 Magnum and with a barrier blind bullet. The XD round from Underwood is not something to be dismissed when loaded in 357 Sig and the Underwood 10mm XD at 2000 fps would no doubt be an attitude changer as well. I wish I could say something positive about the PolyCase stuff but I can't.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have fired 120 rds of the ARX .380 in my Glock 42 and experienced no malfunctions of any type. Accuracy was on a par with ball and four variations of HP self defense ammunition. The gun used was dirty prior to the shooting.

The idea of cavitation caused by exterior design is interesting in terms of deep penetration with a large wound channel. Long term experience will determine the degree of success.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.