G42 Ammo

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 1RoundEye, Aug 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

At 1,000fps, it is plenty hot and very reliable. I broke my G42 in using it.

3. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1

That's pretty much all I've shot in my G42 and it works great. It's pretty hot, actually. Almost always knocks down the plates as well as the poppers, even though it isn't necessary for the Pocket Pistol class. Buy it and shoot it. For reference, I have shot my G42 in two matches with Fiocchi and placed 3rd and 1st (Amateur).

Rob

4. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

Off topic, but this interests me. If you shoot a G43 is it still ring and paint (you don't have to knock the plates over)? I asked Justin once and he said no because it's 9mm. Anyone else hear different?

5. wlkjr

wlkjr

It is necessary to knock down the plates with the 43 and ring and paint for the 42.

6. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Since all you need is for ring and paint, I would probably look for something a bit milder. This should give you a faster recovery time between shots. I'm trying to go from a G20C to G21 for the same reason. It's hard to compete with the 45ACPs when you are shooting 10mm.. Plus I think the rangemasters would appreciate not flinching after every shot of the 10mm and its ported barrel..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  7. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

I used pretty mild HP38 loads and they knocked down 30 plates in a row (had to try them once on the practice rack).

I suppose that's very dependent on the plate rack, though.

8. Dave Shooter

Dave Shooter

Since you don't shoot any pairs in Pocket (or Major Sub), only transitions, then recoil level would be secondary consideration to reliability and accuracy.

9. PM720

PM720

I don't know about that. When you are trying to run 3 second (or quicker) plate strings recoil can make a big difference. :)

Scott

10. Dave Shooter

Dave Shooter

Didn't say recoil didn't matter, just that it was secondary.
    FWIW, I won a pistol in Master Pocket shooting factory ammo. No, it wasn't the hottest stuff out there....
    :)

11. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

I wish we could get that many Master shooters shooting PG in Cali. Out here Amatuers typically don't have enough for a gun. :(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  12. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

One of the reasons, I left SASS was the change over the years from its original inception. When it first started, it was a chance to shoot your six guns and lever actions. Then people started slicking up the actions of their rifles and pistols. Not a biggie. Then the mouse loads started so they could shoot faster without the recoil. After a teenage lifetime of following Elmer Keith, I decided what they were doing was a caricature of cowboy shooting and a costume party. Too much concern for how authentic you looked in spite of the fact that any cowboy shooter that went out with the loads they were shooting might be able to stop a bull mouse.

If you ever have a chance, read 'Hell, I was There!' by Elmer Keith. It makes a good read.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  13. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I live in CA and if you mean PG for the G42, I have one. A real pain to get one. It could only be bought using the SSE exemption. The gun was fitted with a 10" 25ACP barrel and the magazine well was blocked off. It was sold as a 25acp single shot and this loop hole was closed 12/31/14. Now only LEO can purchase one new.

I shoot PPU and Winchester FMJ in mine.

14. 1RoundEye

1RoundEye Arms Dealer

You just missed the match in Richmond unless you were there of course. The next one in Piru on 10/31-11/01. You and your G42 should come shoot it. The more he merrier.

15. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

At Fulton this year I had 5 Masters place ahead of me in Pocket Glock, but I ended up the top Amateur with a 115. Go Figure!

16. AJE

Did some testing today... figured I'd bump this to share.

Put some .380's on paper at 32 yards to test.

Red Dot appears to be the winner of the day. It was as much if not more accurate, and softer shooting than the Bullseye loads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. wlkjr

wlkjr

I couldn't get anything less than 3.1 grains of Bulleye or 3.0 grains of Titegroup to function with a 100 grain plated bullet, either Berry or Xtreme.

18. AJE

The 2.8gr load of Bullseye didn't lock the slide open, but otherwise ran okay.

They hit high enough I wouldn't use that load anyway. I have probably close to 1,000 rounds through the gun at this point, that might have helped wear the recoil spring down a little bit.