G41 - EDC - Laser and/or reflex sight

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by StarfoxHowl, Aug 7, 2015.

1. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

I'm looking for advice on a compatible laser or red dot/reflex sight for a new G41 long slide that I use for EDC.

From what I've been able to Google, there's not much out there for either. Yes, yes, I know Glock makes a slide on light/laser for the front of the firearm, but you have to fumble around with it in order to turn it on. I want something that will be activated by grip, or natural hand placement. It would also have to fit a positive retention holster.

With regards to red dot/reflex sight on a EDC firearm, good idea? Bad idea? Stupid idea?

2. ronin.45

ronin.45

So your EDC is going to be a longslide, large frame Glock 45 with a reflex sight and a crimson trace lasergrip in a retention holster? Wow!

As for lasers, obvious choice is crimson trace.

I don't like slide-ride dots on handguns. I've seen too many fail on competition guns to trust one on a defensive gun.

3. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

I use a retention holster now. IMHO every firearm that's not a positive retention holster is a gun snatch waiting to happen. Again, my opinion.

So far, I haven't found any red dot/green dot lasers for a G41. But I haven't called Crimson Trace, or LaserMax to see if anything they currently make will fit a 41.

The reflex sight is a maybe.

My original EDC was a 21 SF and it was a real PITA to find a holster that wasn't a drop leg, or uniform duty holster.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

Responses in quote^

5. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

I wouldn't call a G41 a "giant gun". I've carried larger when I was assigned duties with Pinkerton, Dan Wesson 357 with an 8 inch bull barrel. Don't ask me why they used it, it was assigned to the post. A Desert Eagle .50 AE, I'd call that a "giant gun".

Yes, there are smaller calibers I could shoot, and have a smaller package to carry. But the .45 ACP is what I was trained on in the Navy, its what I carried off duty as a police officer. Its what I feel comfortable with.

6. yamen1999

yamen1999

StarFox, I carry a G21sf in a IWB holster by Tucker. I've used a tucker holster for about 4 years now and find it very reliable. I carry at the 4-4:30 position. My sights are a Hex-sight by Goshen. It's a combat sight and takes a bit of practice to get use to. But once you get comfortable with it, it works excellent. I live in a semi-rural area which means no street lights. If there is enough light to see a target, the hex-sight works. That means it works in very low light situations.

Tucker http://www.tuckergunleather.com/inside-the-waistband-iwb

Hex sight http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.php

I don't use a laser or a weapon light when I'm out and about. At home I use a Safariland holster because at home I have a need for a weapon light. I carry my weapon from the time I get up until bed time. Just my choice to always have a weapon on me.