Glock Talk banner

G41 and +P

9525 Views 13 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  .45fanatic
There seems to be a lot of hoopla about using +p in the G41 due to its thinner slide. Has anyone actually had any problems with this? I am considering one for my duty sidearm.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
950 Posts
There seems to be a lot of hoopla about using +p in the G41 due to its thinner slide. Has anyone actually had any problems with this? I am considering one for my duty sidearm.
I'm relegated to a 35 as a duty weapon. Would much rather have the 41. I do have a 41 as a personal weapon and have shot probably three to four hundred +p hornady rounds through it with no problem or excessive wear.

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I use +P carry ammo in mine. It's has a tad more recoil than the 230 grain fmj I practice with, but it's not that noticeable. I could probably get away with running hotter ammo than that, but I don't wanna batter the frame. The thinner slide is a few ounces lighter than the thicker one found on the 21. The barrel is somewhat thinner too. But I'm fairly certain it can handle the chamber pressure of +P without issue.

Am I mistaken? I'd sure like to know if I missed something.

· Banned
745 Posts
I use +P carry ammo in mine. It's has a tad more recoil than the 230 grain fmj I practice with, but it's not that noticeable. I could probably get away with running hotter ammo than that, but I don't wanna batter the frame. The thinner slide is a few ounces lighter than the thicker one found on the 21. The barrel is somewhat thinner too. But I'm fairly certain it can handle the chamber pressure of +P without issue.

Am I mistaken? I'd sure like to know if I missed something.
If you are that worried about it you could go up
to a heavier recoil spring. But I wouldn't worry
it. You'll likely have 3x the amount of a new pistol
would cost you by time you shoot that much.

The hardest part is realizing the pistol is a tool.
Tools are expendable, it's just the way it is.
You take care of them they last longer. But not forever.

I'd just shoot it. As long as it is good ammo by reputable
manufacturer it should be fine.

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
I guess I've not seen any hoopla on issues with using +P ammo in a Glock 41 or any Glock model for that matter. Shoot what you will. Only issues I had with my Glock was using under powered ammo which caused brass to the face.

Reactions: owtlaw

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I guess I've not seen any hoopla on issues with using +P ammo in a Glock 41 or any Glock model for that matter. Shoot what you will. Only issues I had with my Glock was using under powered ammo which caused brass to the face.
I've somehow missed the hoopla as well. I'm not gonna pop .45 Super in there. I'd like to. But I'm not planning on it. Seems like asking for trouble. +P shouldn't be a big deal. A steady diet of it might necessitate a spring change, and there's that unsupported chamber... Best to stay within the design's intentions.

I know people do .45 Super/.460 Rowland conversions on the 21. I'll buy a 21 if I wanna dick around with that.

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
I use Magtech 185 gr +P's and all I can tell is they bottom the slide with the stock RSA, but the bottoming isn't harsh, by any means. I have 'slide bottoming OCD', so I already look for it to happen on a new gun. As far as the actual slide...don't go nuts looking for problems with the G41 slide 'cause you not going to find any. It is plenty strong enough for +P.

· Registered
95 Posts
afaik all glocks can handle +P. There's even a guy here that claims he ran 45 super out of one but I'm not sure what modifications they made...

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I wish I could afford the amount of +p ammunition it would take to get me to start worrying about it.

Reactions: screwedby
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.