G40 slide width mystery

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Batts, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Batts

Batts

I heard the original G40 slide width was the same as the G36/G41.

This is evidenced by the Glock website that clearly shows the G40 and G41 to be very similar in this regard.

Yet, I see You tubes showing what appears to be a G20 thick slide.

Has there been a design change after initial release, and do all the aftermarket barrels fit both?

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g40gen4mos

Batts.

2. WARRIOR 45

WARRIOR 45

Mine has a wide slide like a Glock 20. All current production are wide slide. I believe the prototypes where thin slide and they had problems with them and switched to wide slides. I love mine, very little recoil.

3. Batts

Batts

Does it functionwell w/ the 40sw like FBI loads?

Do you up-spring your RSA when shooting full power loads?

I up-spring my G41 to 22lbs and shoot 45Supers.

[email protected] and [email protected]

Batts

4. WARRIOR 45

WARRIOR 45

No changes in springs. I have shot lots of cheap ammo, some premium stuff and underwood full power ammo with no problems.

5. Mike-M

Mike-M

What you heard was very incorrect. There has never been ANY G40 with a slide slimmer than a G20 slide.

You are being mis-led by the graphic for pistol width shown on Glock's website. Although dimension lines on the graphic seem to be SLIDE WIDTH, the value given is always PISTOL WIDTH, which is FRAME WIDTH if the frame is wider than the slide, which it almost always is. Thus, the 32.5mm width value applies to most Glock .45ACP and 10mm pistols, based on frame width.

Some were hoping for a G41-style slim slide, apparently in ignorance of how much more powerful 10mmAuto may be when compared to .45ACP, whose max loads are relatively mild compared to just average 10mm loads.

There NEVER was a Glock slim slide 10mm pistol.

6. Batts

Batts

The picture on the Glock website is entirely similar to the G41 except for the muzzle hole and extra length of slide and muzzle taper on slide.

Spin the pictures around to look at them both from a rear quartering angle and notice the slide cover plate proportions and the slide breech face proportions.

I already know they use the same Gen4 frame.

Did they ever sell the thin slide version or do the aftermarket barrels fit both?

When are they going to change their website?

Batts

7. ledhed

ledhed

The shot show G40s did have a slim slide like the G41 but they never went into production.

My G40 shoots both FBI loads and full power Underwood with no problems at all. The FBI loads throw brass about 2 feet. The full power loads are about 8 feet. My Gen 3 G20 would throw full power brass about 20 feet with the stock spring and about 12 with a 22 pound spring.

The G40 is now my favorite pistol.

WARRIOR 45 likes this.
  8. Danl Boone

Danl Boone

My Gen 4 Glock 21 and my Glock 40 both measure 1.123 inches wide. I am loading a 180 grain Montana Gold jhp that averages 1339 fps out of that Glock 40. It also handles 180 grain Buffalo Bore ammo running over 1400 and Underwood 140 grainers running over 1550 with the original spring and no problems. I do love the Glock 40!

9. K_Rasmussen

K_Rasmussen NRA Life Member

Not true. The Glock 40 originally had a slim slide there are videos from the 2015 SHOT Show range sessions showing such and other data.
    Do a forum search for my thread "why did Glock ditch the thin slide 40 mos."

10. Batts

Batts

No joy on the forum search.

If they never sold to the public then I'm glad I didn't put in for one.

I'm quite satistfied w/ my G41 as a defensive hog gun in the piney woods of the southeast.

Batts.