GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Model 40 with roughly 250 rounds through it, I noticed the finish on the safety plunger appears to be flaking off. Anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
PIETRO BERETTA GARDONE V.T. MADE IN ITALY
303 Posts
It's the nickel plating flaking off, it's fine.

·
MacGyver
7,312 Posts
Put a dab of moly or lithium grease on it and ignore it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I concur with the previous posters. Most Glocks look like this after the first 100-200 rounds. All of mine look exactly like this. No worries at all; enjoy your Glock and be safe!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have polished the heck out of all of my safety plungers and have never cut through the plating. The safety plunger should actually rotate a small amount ever time the gun is fired so that the same area is not worn down. I would suggest polishing to smooth the top surface and the sides to aid in rotation. When I do a complete slide disassembly and oil application I will usually have oil on my fingers and apply oil just from my fingers to the safety plunger as well. I know this is not part of Glocks recommended maintenance but it has worked well for me for almost thirty years,

·
G43 Fanboy
1,760 Posts
Glock OEM trigger bar is a cheaply stamped out part with rough edges left unpolished before it’s plated. Particularly the part of the trigger bar that pushes against the firing pin block often has rough edges and shape corner left unpolished, thereby making the trigger also feel very rough and gritty.

If you keep shooting the gun a few thousand more rounds, it will smooth out by the time you need to replace the firing pin block. (And that is how the trigger of old Glock pistols get better.) However, not many people can afford to shoot a few thousand rounds right now. When my new Glock pistol has this problem, I help the smoothing process with #1000 - #1500 Emery paper to save the precious ammo. ;) This also makes the trigger pull feel smoother though it does not necessarily make it lighter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I wouldn't think coating coming off isn't normal wear, but obviously I'm wrong. Just wanted to ask the experts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It’s “fine” as in “it will work”, and it’s even “common”, but half the finish flaked off and that “shouldn’t happen”.

A GSSF armorer will replace that no question.

·
Private side
11,468 Posts
...The safety plunger should actually rotate a small amount ever time the gun is fired so that the same area is not worn down...
Is it designed to do so? What imparts the rotation? Any concerns with the new 5th Gen FPS?

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is my new 19.3 with only 170rds through it. I believe its possible the trigger bar has some rough spots on it causing this, it will eventually smooth out and either leave it be or swap out the plunger.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The plunger or firing pin block is an injection molded nickle plated part.
I wonder if the OP's Glock is also new, and if so, I would suspect some issues with lax QC.
While it isn't anything to worry about, still should not be happening that quick.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am wondering, if this is a know problem. Why the heck does Glock event plate the darn thing. What does the Glock school teach about this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am wondering, if this is a know problem. Why the heck does Glock event plate the darn thing. What does the Glock school teach about this.
Corrosion resistance and lubricity.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What's the point if it's essentially worn off after 250 rounds? My G40 was brand new, this is wear from 250 rounds.
It's not supposed to do that and flake off quite that bad all at once. I suspect it is due to poor curing of the plating which is effecting it's durability. It should last a long longer than 100-250 rounds but who knows what their QC standards are right now with as long as their backlog is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a G22 gen4 police trade in that was not shot much at all by the looks of it. I found the FP safety flaked off like this and thought to replace it. Originally I was thinking no way to go with an aftermarket replacement, only OEM!! Now I am perplexed.

Maybe Glock should Hard -chrome this part.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Is it designed to do so? What imparts the rotation? Any concerns with the new 5th Gen FPS?
The trigger bar is rarely centered over the top of the plunger but is pushing more from one side. Try using a black magic marker to cover the top of the plunger and then do about twenty or more dry fires to see how much it has rotated.
It would not make sense from a longevity design to allow the as noted rough stamping of the lobe that depresses the safety plunger to continually ride in the same position.
I have a Glock 22 purchased in1992 with an guesstimate of 65,000 rd. fired that has it's original safety plunger. In all the Glocks I have owned I have never replaced the plunger. The spring yes, the plunger itself no.

I know that the Gen5 pistols have a larger rectangular safety plunger but I believe I remember this being at the request of the military during their trials for a new side arm for our forces. They viewed the small contact area by the old design as a potential problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just had the same findings on my G37.3 with about 1k rounds through it. My first time completely disassembling it to do a $.25 trigger job. I emailed pics to Glock customer service and they responded with a basic “this is normal”. So I cleaned and polished the plunger and reinstalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts