Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a G40 an would like to use it for deer hunting. Question I have is what is a good load that will work on deer without having to go over book data? I picked up some 200gr XTP an some Longshot at the advice of a friend who said to load them to 1200 fps, but that would be over book. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Congrats on the new Glock!

Hornady's max load for Accurate No. 9 gets 1200 fps in my Glock 20 with excellent groups. So it should be easy to get nice velocities in the Glock 40. Double-check me on this, but I think it is a 13.2 gr max.

A lot of people get some high velocities with Longshot and 800-X, but those are loaded north of any book data. I like LS in 10mm, but No. 9 is my favorite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you agree the load needs to be in the 1200 fps range to work good on deer? If so I need to get some #9, would feel better sticking to book data... thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So you agree the load needs to be in the 1200 fps range to work good on deer? If so I need to get some #9, would feel better sticking to book data... thanks
I'm not a 10mm hunter, so I can't give insight to the requirements for terminal ballistics.

·
19,037 Posts
I think the deer probably won't be able to tell the difference between a 1200 fps load and a 1150 fps load.

Keep in mind that you need to practice shooting at the distances you are most likely to encounter a deer in teh area wher you hunt. So you might want to develop some practice loads with the same recoil impulse that shoot to the same point of aim using less expensive projectiles than the Hornady XTP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wasn't sure what would give the best performance on deer size game. Yes I agree, I need to practice with the load I'm planning on using, just need to figure that part out.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Food for thought. With a 25 yard zero, a 200 gr XTP at 1200 fps will drop about 9 inches and lose 165 fps in velocity at run-of-the mill atmoshpherics.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
G20 with a 5.5" Jarvis barrel (because WI has a dumb-ass law that says handguns need a 5.5" barrel to be lethal). Was using Double Tap's 200gr. JHP (which I think is a Nosler bullet). It chrono's just shy of 1200fps in that barrel. At 30 yards, deer was quartering towards, bullet entered, went through heart, exited on far side. Deer ran 30 yards and took it's last breath. I have an XTP load over #9 that will do 1215fps in that same barrel - just had the DT's in the mag. that day. As other's said, 200grains at 1150fps is going to be just as lethal on deer.

IMG_6614.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts