G39.....Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by squirrel_slayer, Oct 21, 2019.

1. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

So now that i've officially popped my GAP cherry it really has me thinking about capitalizing on the 39 turn in's.

Now i've never owned a "Baby Glock" but I have owned a 43, 19, 17, and 20. Of them all I like the 17 best although I like mine with a chopped grip to 19 sized. Tried the 19's a few times but just didn't do it for me although my cousins Gen 5 did feel alot better than the 3/4's i've owned.

I will say the little pocket powerhouse does have it's appeal to me. Being that I cast and reload for 45 acp the GAP was a natural progression.

I noticed LWD has a 38 barrel in stock for $50 that I could snatch up and thread for a future suppressor host or Comp it like ES350 and hot rod the hell out of the little booger. maybe get 2 and sleeve one to 9mm and make a GAP'd 38 Casull

So those who own the 39's (or any baby glock for that matter) tell me what you think.
    Thanks, George

es 350 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  2. es 350

es 350

George,
    IF the baby Glocks agree with your hand.... then you will NOT be disappointed!
    IMO they are a "do all" handgun that serve many roles and purposes.

EVERY baby Glock I have fired in any cal. gives up nothing to a larger gun as far as accuracy is concerned.

Several years ago when i had more free time I enjoyed varmint hunting with any of the baby Glocks, 50 yd shots was no problemo.
    After that as long as I knew the range (laser rangefinder) and the trajectory of load used as well as a good trigger release 75 yd shots was very doable.

Any of the babies, G39 included is capable of anything the shooter and caliber is capable of.

As for the LWD barrels...... if you plan to get a G39.... then 2 will not be too many!
    I have "several" myself..... very accurate barrels! (Mine anyways)

Mr Meeseeks likes this.

3. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

ES i've followed some of your work and if you don't mind i'd like to pick your brain.

Looking at 357 sig case length is pretty close to the 38 casull. One could trim the case .020" and call it the same. How do you feel a comped GAP would fair with small pistol ACP brass setup as a 38/45? I know rims would need to be turned down a few thou. and I have the means to do so.

Also do you think a 26 barrel could be made to fit with a threaded comp that sleeve's over the barrel to get the correct OD?, If not top hatting a LWD barrel with a 9mm blank wouldn't be much more work.

Or maybe start with a 26, open the breach face to gap. Put in a gap extractor and ejector then plop in some GAP mags?

Thanks, George

4. es 350

es 350

George,
    The 45 Gap is not one to modify .... much IMO.
    When I first got into GAP, I pondered at what calibers/barrels would be possible.... what I concluded was anything different required a full custom barrel.
    The barrel locking lugs are the same on like size guns, ie. 39= to 26 , 27 and 33
    38 = to 19, 23 ..etc.
    37 = to 17, 22...etc.
    BUT 45 GAP barrels are wider (chamber block ) and larger in dia.

A Glock G30 barrel could IIRC be machined to fit /function in G37..... but then have mags/ OAL of loaded rnd issue....
    Going other way around such as 26/27 and installing a GAP barrel would require opening up the barrel channel in slide.... which would weaken it and lighten it .
    IMO not a good way to go , especially if looking for a performance increase .

So i concluded best to enjoy GAP's for what they are.... although a threaded barrel , good brake and some hotter loads sure brings 45 GAP to life.....

5. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

Fantastic wealth of information. So Super GAP it and be happy :)

es 350 likes this.
  6. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

So since I wanted to try some milling on a slide I decided against the 39 for now and ordered a P80 frame and will do a comped g26 build with a Holosun 507c.

Also managed to find a spare barrel which i'm thinking of cutting the barrel off about 1/4" past the breach block then bore/thread the breach block/ small portion of barrel and machine a 22 caliber blank to try a modified version of one of my wildcats. pin or weld the two together and see what happens.

I have a die reamer for my wildcat so I made a shorter die that yields a .935" long case (took the idea from the 5.56x24 in the reloading section here) so I should get 22 tcm performance but with a greater bullet selection.

There is also another glocker on arfcom that found out EAA witness 38 super mags can be adapted to small frame glocks so snatched up one of them as they will allow 1.275" loads which should yeild more velocity gains.

I know it's not a bulldawg but thought i'd share anyways :)
    I still have my 37 to play with.

[​IMG]

Mr Meeseeks and es 350 like this.
  7. es 350

es 350

The Glock barrel i machined used the same idea except i machined the barrel block as well.
    Havent shot that barrel alot but shoots works fine.

I machined the threads with a slight taper for a TIGHT fit and is all i used to hold barrel/block together

If i would make another i would start with a blank large enough to machine a one piece barrel.

Let us all know how your progect goes.

8. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

Finally have all the parts in to proceed with the build. will build it as a 9mm, work out any bugs their may be, machine the slide, then lastly work on the 22 caliber cat. :)
    [​IMG]

9. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

10. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

Got a oem 19 barrel off the EE threaded and shortened it then made myself a comp. Still have some fine finishing details to do and park it. Hopefully get to the slide next weekend. /images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif
    The comp is the same length as the full sized 19 barrel. which was 11/16" in my example. 3/16's ports. Now to load up some +p ammo to see what these comp's are all about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. squirrel_slayer

squirrel_slayer

So I just picked up a few more of these frames since they were half off on midway. Decided to put my G37 in one. it's their Compact Longslide. takes 38 mags (thats a 19 mag for visual reference need to order some 38 mags now)
    [​IMG]
    Titanium Blue
    First Polymer80 45 GAP? :drunk:

DLL9mm, Mr Meeseeks, tuica and 2 others like this.
  12. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Back to your original question. I've had the G38 since 2008 and a Gen4 G37 as soon as they were released to the public (The first batches went to the Florida State Police). I just recently acquired a police trade in G39 and I absolutely love it! I have small hands and I prefer the way the grip feels with just the 2 fingers on it. I have 2 magazines with Pierce pinky extenders but I don't like how they feel in my hands.

fasteddie565 likes this.
  13. tuica

tuica

Yessiree. One of my main Winter CCW’s. And was a‘ packin’ it today, whilst out and about.

fasteddie565 likes this.