G39 at the range

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by David_Ely, Oct 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

I took my new (to me) G39 to the range today and ran 100+ rounds thru it. This thing is amazing! I haven't fired my GAP's in a while and I forgot how accurate they are! I shot it better than I do my G42 (my current EDC). I fired mostly Lawman 200gr and I also ran some Federal 230gr HSTs and Speer 200gr Gold Dots. The Gold Dots felt like I was shooting a 9mm. I have magazines both with and without Pierce extensions and I actually prefer the magazines without the extensions. One round of fire with the extensions pinched my pinky. I have small hands and have no problem firing the G39 without them.
    Once I get the holsters I ordered for it, it will be my new EDC whenever possible. (Sometimes, the minuscule size of the G42 is necessary for concealment with certain outfits). I did also order an extended, ported LONE WOLF barrel for it. It was on closeout and thought it would be fun to try.

2. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

The ported barrel was accurate but it seemed to shoot a little low. It was not any more accurate than the factory barrel and I didn't notice any reduction in felt recoil or muzzle jump. I'll keep it for play but it won't replace the factory barrel, especially for carry.

3. BobR1

BobR1

I would like to play with one some day, and see what I think about one.
    I have only owned One Lone Sub-Compact so far.
    I had a G27.4 at one time and traded it for a G23.4 that I am faster on target with.
    I carry my G38.3 almost daily, and really like it.
    The lighter weight and smaller size would make the G39 easier to carry day in and day out I am sure. How well I could shoot a G39 being the question I would need to check out.

Bob R

tuica likes this.
  4. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I am going to start carrying mine again. I have a factory G 38 barrel in it now. The X grip sleeves are very cool as well.

tuica likes this.
  5. HappyGAP

HappyGAP

I’ve carried mine everyday since I came across one. The X-Grips are a necessity imo. The SC frame only holds two of my fingers so my pinky doesn’t know what to do. Either a magpul end (which is useless EDC) or a plus one, but then I found x-grips and I can leave my 38 mags loaded and a little secret, they hold 9 and will lock so it turns the 39 into an easily grippable 9+1 45 cal conceal BEAST. I have shot the 39 in that config as a BUG gun in IDPA. It’s accurate and light, fits in the box, and weighs .2 oz less than max. Since you mentioned other subs, for reference, I also have a 36 which is the single stack ACP. Small frame so the recoil is a lot more, its controllable with the plus ones mag bottoms but not as much as the GAP and the 36 is 7+1 so it’s a snappier shot and two rounds light. Proprietary mags and mag holsters so bringing more is not an easy option. Makes the 39 a great choice especially with the availability of great SD options!

tuica likes this.
  6. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I have a G 36 as well but the X grips give you a few extra rounds and I can use the same holster and mag pouch for both guns.

tuica likes this.