G37 magazine problem - anyone ever see this?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AgentM79, Mar 9, 2014.

1. AgentM79

AgentM79

I recently added a NY-1 spring to my G37 Gen3, and decided to give the gun a thorough range test. I ran 3 mags of 200gr. Speer Gold Dot through the gun (3 newly-purchased mags). Zero issues. I then ran 90 rounds of Speer 200gr. Lawman through my "range" mags (3 older mags, 3x each). I had three malfunctions, each identical, involving two of the magazines. The last round in the mag stood up almost straight (slight forward angle) and wedged against the barrel hood. On the third malfunction, the last LIVE round in the mag actually EXITED the ejection port when the previous casing was ejected. I then retrieved my three newer mags from my range bag and candy-caned them with 200gr. Gold Dot and 200gr. Lawman. No issues!

The obvious answer is that the three older magazines are somehow out-of-spec. They've met concrete since I've had the gun, and were already dinged-up when I bought the (LE trade) G37. However, I did a post-mortem on the three mags and found no apparent damage to the feed lips. The springs in each magazine are the proper 11-coil springs, and EASILY pass the two-coil test (more like four coils protruding). The followers also appeared undamaged.

Has ANYONE seen this before? I can certainly send the mags back to Glock for analysis, but I'm genuinely curious. And, like I said, the gun didn't malfunction with any of the three new G37 mags I purchased. The followers are identical in the newer magazines.

Your responses are appreciated!!!

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Got a caliper? Measure the distance between the feed lips and compare to the new mags....

3. G19 DB

G19 DB

I've got 5 G37 mags and haven't seen that on any of them. These are the hardest mag's to get that last round in (of any gun).

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Also, very early G37 mags had a different follower that got upgraded. I would not expect them to cause what's happening, but if by chance you do have the old followers, you should contact Glock about it.....which you could do anyway.

[​IMG]

5. fastbolt

fastbolt

I was getting some live-round stove pipes with some new G27 mags one time, so I called to discuss it with a tech. He said that sometimes some mag bodies might slip through where the steel liners might be slightly on the outside of normal tolerances for feed lip spread, and they'd replace them if I sent them in and they determined that that was what had happened.

My new mags had the short-lived #6 .40 follower, though, so I asked for some of the current #8 .40 followers to try. He wasn't sure that new followers would solve my problem, but he had some sent to me. The live-round stove pipes no longer occurred after I changed followers (using the same ammo), so I didn't need to send the mags back for replacement.

So, if your liner lips are spread, the mags need replacement.

If replacing the followers works, quick & easy correction.

Since they're used LE mags, though, and you have no idea how they were used & abused by the former issued user, if new followers didn't do the trick, I'd probably write them off and see if your local rep could get them replaced. Easier than wasting more time trying to diagnose something occurring with some used (disposable) mag assemblies.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014