Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,833 Posts
I have had both, but currently have the shield. Nothing against the Glock I only got rid of it to go to all one caliber of 9mm. But, later on found a killer deal from someone local wanting to get rid of a shield 45 because the stipple hurt his little hand. I put a bicycle inner tube over it and shoot the crap out it. Anyway, now that the reason I no longer have the Glock but still have the shield is explained I must ask what is it you want to know exactly?
Both guns were good, accurate, and very concealable. I might like the shield a little bit more because of the deeper cut on the back of the grip so the potential for slide bite from a fast grab and grip is reduced some. But something that both pistols have in common is that energy from the round greatly suffers due to the short barrel.
Most of the penetration tests I have seen with these 3.5 inch or maybe a little less 45acp barrels show 12 inches or less of penetration with hollow points and poor performance (expansion)of the hollow point due to the lower speed of the round. So, in that aspect I think that a person is better off with a 9mm. But that is my opinion based on testing that I have seen.
But, the round that I have seen in this pistol that did impress me a little is the 220 grain Critical Duty round. Expansion was still poor but at least it was consistently penetrating around 16 inches in ballistic Gel.

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,833 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I can't give you side by side pictures because I sold the 36 when I purchased the Shield 45. I bought the Shield during the rebate, but shooting them at the range together was what made the decision to let the 36 go.
P.S. Also bought the Shield 9 but did NOT let the Glock 26 go.

Reactions: OBG17

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I was just in Shooters World and they have a display of S&W pistols for you to hold, feel the grip, etc, etc. I got to say the Shield 45 did feel pretty good in the hand. I don't think you would be disappointed with either one but the Shield 45 seems far more popular then the 36 ever was.

My two cents.
Dennis P.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Had both kept the Shield 45. Carries better, I shoot it better, it's lighter and the grip fits my hand better. The 36 didn't work for me, but it's a good gun if you choose to get it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I carried a 36 for a while. It was my first Glock. I sold it when I couldn't buy 45acp and wanted to carry a gun with higher capacity, in 40S&W (due to availability), with a better grip texture, and capable of accepting a weaponlight.

I had an opportunity to shoot the Shield 45 when it came out and it seemed fine, but the G36 was long gone so I couldn't make a comparison.

Glock has added a light rail to the 36 now, but they haven't improved the grip texture to gen 4 on the 36 or the 30s. When they do, I will likely buy a 30s and possibly a (railed) 36.

I like and recommend the Shield to a lot of shooters but I would stick to Glocks to maintain commonality with my other carry and competition guns.

·
Registered
675 Posts
For me, the 45 Shield is kind of a non-starter. I have a 9mm Shield and I've found that I absolutely hate the M&P hinged triggers.

I'll throw out another option for you though. Nothing against the G36 at all, but if you don't mind DA/SA, my next gun purchase is going to be the Springfield XDe 45. 7+1 capacity with the mag extension, 1" thick, 23ozs unloaded weight, and decent METAL factory sights. You might have already considered this and ruled it out, but if you have't looked it over you may want to check it out.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts

·
Supreme Member
4,094 Posts
I have both. Much prefer the Shield.

Nothing functionally wrong with the G36, it has been very reliable.

But the Shield fits and feels better in my hand, and I shoot it much better. It's also slightly smaller and lighter than the G36, and works better for me in a CCW role.

I never really warmed up to the G36, but I absolutely fell in love with the Shield.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I've had two Glock 36's, one was a lemon and the other never a malfunction. I just never could get used to the thickness of the grip. Of course now, I would just have the grip reduced. But now I have my first Shield, a 45 and love everything about it. I would take the Shield over the 36.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts