close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G36 versus G30 differences?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tnstaafl, Feb 19, 2010.

1. tnstaafl

tnstaafl

I have a G36 - checking the specs on the Glock site, it appears that the dimensions are essentially the same as the Glock 30, and that the only real difference between the G36 and G30 is the magazine capacity, and obviously the weight when loaded. Are there any other differences, like reliability, between the two guns? I believe that they both use the same guide rod, correct? Thanks for all the help, guys . . .

2. Girevik61

Girevik61

3. den888

den888

G30 is thicker also...

4. pterodon

pterodon

I think this is one of those cases where the numbers can be misleading. There is a world of difference in how these two models feel when compared side-by-side. If you haven't already, I'd suggest heading down to your local shop to check out the G30 in person. The 30 has a much heavier slide and, being a double stack, a much fatter grip. By comparison, the 36 feels a bit like a toy.

Yes, the recoil spring assy is interchangeable; however, I don't think much of anything is interchangeable between the 36 and the 30 (or any other Glock model, for that matter). Most everything else is specific to the 36 because of its unique frame dimensions.

5. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

I own both, and as pterodon said, numbers are misleading. To me, the 30 feels so much thicker than the 36, that it hampers my carrying the gun. In fact, I just about never carry it.

The G30 is a great shooter, and I never had a miss with it, but, I am now thinking of selling it.

This pic may help put it in perspective:

[​IMG]

6. pterodon

pterodon

Yep, I agree - almost never carried my G30SF, which is part of the reason I just sold it off. Too big and too heavy. My G36, however, carries very well (maybe even better than my G26) and goes with me everywhere.

7. cciman

cciman

Do the real math-- you gotta count the mags too!

G30 = 10+1 with one G21 in one mag pouch
    =10+1+13= 24 ONE reload 24 rounds of 45ACP= G30 in holster with one backup mag.

G36= 6+1+(6+6)=19 that's with 2 extra mag pouches (2 reloads needed). Good for IWB and ankle holsters.
    = 25 with 3 extra mag pouches (3 reloads).

Just wear a better belt and holster, and baggier shirt for the G30.

Nuff said.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  8. 45GlockGuy

45GlockGuy

My friend has a G30....He held my G36 and put it in his IWB holster and his next words were "This 30 is goin back, I want this thing" . I carry my 36 everywhere everyday and love it.

I carry +1 and dont have extra mags on me normally, usually its in the truck. My opinion is I have 6 extra rounds...but thats just my feelings. if you know your going to have a shootout that particular day just bring a whole bunch of extra mags I guess or bring a G30 with a bunch of ammo. Point being if 7 rounds of .45 Auto cant solve your problem than you need to take a different approach.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  9. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

I'm kinda on the fence about buying a G30 for secondary home defense handgun (G21 in my primary location). I probably wouldn't CC the G30, since I also have a G26. I'm leaning towards the G30 because of the ability to use magazines from the G21 and the weapon light rail.

10. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

I think it would be good to have in case you ever want something a little bigger to CC

11. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

My thoughts exactly. The G30 may end up being my open carry tag along when I go camping.

12. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

as the others above have mentioned - the feel of the 30 is what is going to be the most important factor. the #'s do nothing for you my friend. do yourself a huge favor and see if you can get your hands on both to do side by side. Also as mentioned above - the 30 takes 21 mags - cc w/the 10 and hold a 13 in the pocket.

13. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

This is a very shortsighted approach. Capacity is an extremely important part of a carry strategy. I agree with Gabe Suarez, one of the country's premier gunfighting trainers, who counsels to downsize caliber before capacity. Tactically, you are much better off to go to a G19 (15+1). If you're really in love with the 36, fine. But you should always carry at least one spare magazine with such a small capacity.

Regarding the fit of these two pistols, we are always reading how the 30 is somehow too thick in the grip. IMHO, the 36 is too narrow. Remember that both guns will be dealing with the same amount of recoil energy. The 30 spreads that energy through a much larger surface area in your hand. I have found the 30's grip much more comfortable.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  14. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

There is only one reason to have a G36 over a G30, and only one. That is, if, the G30, is to large for your hand. IWB between the two is identical. Pants, belt size, and hiding are identical! There are only advantages to the G30 over the G36, like mentioned before. 10+1 in the gun, and G21 mag backups trump everything the G36 has to offer.

Like I said if a G30 fits your hand, there are nothing but positives, over the G36. If 4 rounds of 45 ACP weight is a problem, carry a Keltec 3AT.

My first carry weapon was a 1911, a very nice, accurate, and extremely reliable 1911. I now carry a G30, it's equal to, or better than, a 1911 in every category! Weight, accuracy, reliability, and capacity, in a proven defensive caliber, and, you don't have to have a newly enhanced, miracle bullet, to get it done.