close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G36 Starting to act funny....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DLL9mm, Feb 27, 2010.

1. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I bought a G36 1 year ago. It was flawless for about 500 rounds. Last week I took it out and had one Failure to eject(100rounds fired) I took it out this morning and fired 150 rounds. I shot one box of WWB and it shot fine. The I started shooting S&B ammo and I had a FTE. I loaded another magazine, same thing! When the FTE's were happening, I was using my stock recoil assembly. After the G36 started malfunctioning, I put in a Wolff steel recoil rod with stock weight spring....And all the FTE problems dissapeared. It fired perfect. It does not malfunction with any carry ammo I have tested, only cheap range ammo. This gun has been 100% up until now. I still plan on carrying it, because it still feeds any HP ammo I have tried.
    I ordered a new ejector and a few other parts I am going to replace. Do you guys think it's ammo related?
    Could my stock recoil spring have been bad(worked fine after I put the Wolff rod and spring in)

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Of course it's ammo related.

3. cciman

cciman

O' Boy... here we go again...

G36 with FTE's... not a new topic

In your situation, I would stick to the ammo that you fired 500 rounds without issue. Were you doing anything funny or different when these issues happened?

That is a young gun...I really do not think that you would need to change out your recoil spring (or any other components) after so few rounds.

4. species0113

species0113 RECOIL WHORE

Leave the steel rod in and let it eat. Let the pissing match begin

5. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I wasn't doing anything different at all. I had a very tight wrist and firm grip. It seems my G36 is becoming picky on ammo. I also forgot to mention, that it FTE last week for the first time with Independance ammo. Today it was S&B. I shot a four different kinds of carry ammo today with no malfunctions whatsoever. If it would have choked on any carry ammo, it would be gone.

6. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I am going to buy some quality range ammo next weekend and test it again. I also am going to order some more HP ammo to test. If the problem gets worse, I'm ditching the G36 and buying a G30. I really don't want to do that, but I need a reliable gun.

7. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I should have mentioned the exact malfunctions that happened. They were failure to EJECT. The round almost made it out, but the slide closed on it on it. While I was shooting the S&B ammo and the independance ammo, I noticed my casings didn't eject that far, But when I fired the WWB and any HP ammo, the casings went flying.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

You answered the question you had yourself.
    It's the ammo, S&B is OK, but no where near QUALITY ammunition.
    Get Federal, Winchester Ranger, Speer........etc!

9. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

That's what I was hoping it was. I still trust it with carry ammo, SO I will continue to carry it. Next weekend I will try some good stuff and post back.

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Cciman previously stated, go back to the ammo you fired the 500 rounds with.
    I completely agree with this, if you have found your G36's favorite ammo, stick with it for carry.

Use the WWB or S&B for range use, consider it a training tool! :supergrin:
    Save the G:supergrin::supergrin:D ammo for carry.

11. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I fired some Corbon 230Gr. +P ammo yesterday also. It fired fine, but was VERY snappy in recoil. I kinda liked it. Another thing I noticed was the malfunctions only occur after about 40 or 50 rounds. I though at first that it could be shooter fatigue(or whatever its called)
    By the end of my range session yesterday, I noticed my hand very very sore/tired. The G36 can be a handfull :supergrin:

12. glockblues

glockblues

Does anyone have issues with plastic peeling off the from the front of the Glock 36 mags? I'm talking about a tiny piece of plastic just under where the nose of the bullet would sit. The plastic on some of my mags has seperated from the metal liner and it needed to be trimmed, less than 1/8" or so. Function is fine and I love the gun. Mags are factory mags, new from CDNN. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Thanks

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Small, lightweight fast-cycling .45 platform ... lesser recoiling, "less costly" range ammunition ... and then mix in some shooter fatigue ...

Predictable results.

Instead of playing around with changing factory components of diminutive .45 pistols, I've often thought most folks should pay closer attention to mitigating potential ammunition & shooter-related influences.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  14. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

I put a wolf Steel Rod and 19lb spring in mine and it has functioned 100% since. Never had any FTE but I did have a problem with the slide binding when I installed night sights. I relieved the slide area about the thickness of a sheet of paper and ground the front sight nut down a good bit, and then adding the spring kept the slide from hitting so hard at the end of it cycle. All those things combined made for a 100% gun. And when the spring begins to weaken I believe even then it will still be as strong as the factory weight. I bought the 19lb so that it could gradually peen the front sight into a comfortable position overtime as the spring weakens. So that by the time it does bottom out near the 17lb standard the head room it needs will be present from gradually increasing pounding on the front sight nut.

So far about 700 trouble free rounds through the weapon since my little patch. And that's with everything from the cheapest plinking ammo to Federal HSTs for carry function testing. Function is all that matters to me. My buddy is stippling the frame and I'm gonna pick it up today. Can't see why that would introduce any problems. But we'll see.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  15. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I have one mag that this happened with. Has not gave me any issues. However it is a range only mag now.

16. acpd442

acpd442

I just bought a new G36 last week. I had planned on firing it this weekend but got stuck with the flu instead. I wanna put about 200 practice loads and about 50 rounds of old duty ammo through it. I also have some new duty ammo i just bought online. (2) 50 rounds boxes of Federal Hydro Shok's 185 gr+P for 29.99 each. I'm gonna put about 20 rounds of these through it also. Hopefully I won't have any FTF or FTE's.

17. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

Congrats on your new purchase. It should be fine. Let us know how it shoots :cool:

18. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Yeah on a few mags. It's not been a problem. If it's cracked there I just take it off.

The section is too thin, and Glock should probably build a shut-off into the mold to prevent the area from filling, but may have reason for not doing so.

If there was just the metal tab there I predict some would complain that the mag is defective. :supergrin:

19. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

I suspect if you chronographed this stuff it might show a high standard deviation, as well as a lesser average velocity.

Slower FPS takes less powder. Half a grain here and there adds up.:supergrin:

20. DLL9mm

DLL9mm