close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G36 or G30SF

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jwolfe3, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jwolfe3

jwolfe3

I own a G30SF with extremely low round count, and I am thinking of trading it back in for a G36. I have a few questions though...Is the 36 as accurate as the 30? Is the only size difference in the grip? Can you get the 36 with a rail and in OD Green? The 30SF is a great piece, but I find it a little awkward in my hand. I almost talked myself in buying an M&P 45c (they feel really nice to me), but I am wondering if the 36 will feel better to me than my 30SF.

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hi,

Don't do that. You'll regret it until you purchase another G30.

I hate to sound like "GlockGAP Boy" but check out the G38.

To answer your questions:

• G36 IS as accurate as G30, but only for the 1st 2 or so hundred rounds, until fatigue kicks in and your grip is all over the place. :)
    • G36 upper is also a bit thinner than G30 upper, IIRC
    • No rail on G36 / no OD to date.
    G30 can use G21 mags, G21 smooth face trigger, and G21 extended slide stop/release. (not referring to the take down lever).

'Drew

3. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I've got both and they both serve their purposes. I like the feel of both but I personally shoot the 30SF a bit better. I don't think can get the 36 in OD but definitely no rail. Nothing wrong with the M&P 45c either. Probably my next purchase.

4. swannick

swannick

I like my 36, shoots just as well as the 30. However to me the main differences are the 36 is thinner and lighter as well as easier to handle if you have small hands. Oh yeah, you can get it in OD Green. I'm not sure I'd purchase any 45 GAP because of cost. Not that I think it's a bad cartridge, just not that popular.

5. knaack134

knaack134

Thats like trading in a Corvette for a v6 camero. You will be sorry.

6. Jakemug

Jakemug

What exactly do you mean by "a little awkward in your hand"? I love my 30sf but, if you're not comfortable with yours you obviously need to get rid of it in favor of something you are confident in (especially for SD carry)

7. swannick

swannick

A better analogy would be trading in a corvette 454 for a corvette 427. Same good looks a little better on gas and lower insurance costs.

8. Jermedic

Jermedic

I can shoot my 36 just as well as I can shoot my buddy's 30. So can he. I would say they are equally accurate. I have kinda small hands and the 36 does fit my hand much better. Being a small gun in a big caliber it does kick a little more than the 30. The way I see it the 36 is a good cary gun, but not one to be putting 400 rounds thru in a day at the range. The 30 kicks a little less and so you can shoot it a little longer at the range. The 36 is also easier to conceal if you choose to cary it. That was another reason I chose the 36. I am about 6ft and weigh a whopping 150 puounds so not much room to hide a big gun. I have put a few thousand rounds thru my 36 and have yet to have a single issue with it regardless of what ammo i use be it factory ammo or reloads. Also mine is OD.

9. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

I have a G30. Would like to get a G36 one day. I would keep your 30SF and just buy the 36. I held a G36 yesterday at Cabela's. Yes they are small but a very, very sweet little weapon.

10. Orange

Orange

Keep the G30sf.:tongueout:
    Mags are easier to get (used G21 mags are cheap:faint:) for a back-up mag. Also it has been said that there are more parts that interchange for the G30sf from the G21.
    Just go shoot the piss out of it and you will be more confident with it. It will grow on you with more range time than what you have in it now.

11. Glock36fs

Glock36fs

I love my G36. For me it shoots accurately and with its slender frame IMO makes it an excellent carry gun. I have big hands, but I love the feel of it.

It does kick, when I take it to range to practice, I can shoot up to 100 rounds very accurately before my grip control slowly starts to go down the tubes. But I bought it strictly to carry for self-defense. And if I needed it in a bad situation, I see ever reaching my 100rd limit. So the way I see it, the recoil isn't an issue.

I bought mine new 4 months ago and put about 500 rds through with no issues, using Brazer Aluminum. I'd say just be careful on buying any used G36 out there cause they might be the FTE ones.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  12. Pappy John

Pappy John

For carrying in an IWB holster? Easy.....the thinnest Glock on the market.

[​IMG]

And it still has that big hole in front that we all love.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  13. swannick

swannick

Great pic Pappy John

14. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I love that second pic. It makes the top of the slide look paper thin. :supergrin:

15. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

G30 is a great gun!
    Check out the problems with the SF guns here on GT.
    :wavey:

16. Pappy John

Pappy John

The G36 grip needed some work to be really comfortable to me, but that's why the Glock parts aftermarket is such a great thing. That and the ability too easily re-shape polymer to your wishes when neccessary. (see the trigger guard)

[​IMG]

Even with all the work it needed to be comfortable, I still like the thinner gun to carry every day.

17. SiGlockBoy

SiGlockBoy

I've carried my 30/30sf for about a year now and can't say anything really bad. I just got a couple of the 36 models and shot them last week. Main things that are still engrained in my mind are the abuse my trigger finger took. Very much like trigger slap on a bad AK. Other thing was it beat the schniky out of my web and palm. Recoil is much more sharp than my 30 and the muzzle rise is pretty good. Accuracy is on par with the 30 and that is great.

As for thinner profile, it definitely has that and feels better in my hand.

Do I want to trade the size and feel for less capacity though? Not really. 10 rds of 45 and the wider grip really adds to the comfort of the gun. The little extra thickness of less than 1/8" is really hardly noticeable.

For another project, I weighed the complete slides with all parts of the 30 and 36. There is only a 3oz difference that the 36 has over the 30. Both 36 slide assemblies weighed button on at 1lb.

Stay with the 30SF. Buy a 36 to have as I do like them also but still want the 10rds.

18. MBR

MBR

Buy the 36 and use the 36 slide/barrel on your 30 frame. Its a great setup!

19. cciman

cciman

Round count...ammo capacity...round count......

plus G21 mag in the mag pouch= 22 rounds vs. 12

Hmmm... tough choice

I vote for the 30, sell the 36.