Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Glock Model 36 jammed in the first 20 rounds fired through it. On average, it jammed one round in 30, often a stovepipe. The local dealer fired 30 rounds through and it didn’t jam and I once fired nearly 60 rounds through it without a jam. Sometimes it would jam every 5 rounds or so. I cleaned it thoroughly, tried no less than 10 different ammo combinations, and scoured the blogs for information. I once drove 70 miles for the help of a firearms instructor who said he could demonstrate that the problem was my “limp wrist.” It jammed on him, too.

After trying every reasonable sounding suggestion I could find online, I sent it back to Glock with parts marked and noted that they replaced springs and several small parts. It still jammed. I couldn’t in good conscious sell it, so I decided to trade it in on another model back to the dealer where I had bought it with a full explanation of the problem. The dealer agreed, but before that happened, I had the opportunity to swap barrels with a friend’s G36. It didn’t seem to jam. Based on that experience, I bought a new OEM Glock barrel and have been testing it since. So far it has cycled through just over 650 round of 5 different brands and loads of ammo without a jam. My back deck is littered with empty .45 cases.

I still haven’t decided how much is enough to be satisfied that the problem is gone, but it looks like the problem was the barrel. Just to be sure, I swapped the original barrel back in and it jammed on the second round of the second magazine. I’ll put a couple hundred more rounds through it this afternoon.

I am posting this in hopes it helps someone with a similar problem.

· Banned
6,834 Posts
Interesting situation. Perhaps if you spoke with Glock customer service, you could convince them to cover your costs...or at least the barrel cost.

Welcome to Glock Talk!

Reactions: mj9mm

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Bill, welcome to Glock Talk.

Thanks for posting a very interesting troubleshooting report about your G36. It's a great first post!
I know how hard I looked for a fix and how much I appreciated the suggestions even if they didn't work for me. I hope this solves someone else's problem. I appreciate all the helpful people out here......

· Combat Diver
3,768 Posts
I had one as well with the same issues. I rebuilt the entire slide to include the barrel. That fixed it but I never really knew what it was that did the trick.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
Interesting thread. Mine has worked flawlessly and know how lucky I am which is why I won't part with it, even after getting a Shield 45. Had never considered the barrel as a variable; you learn something every day. What caused you to think to switch bbls?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting thread. Mine has worked flawlessly and know how lucky I am which is why I won't part with it, even after getting a Shield 45. Had never considered the barrel as a variable; you learn something every day. What caused you to think to switch bbls?
I thought about the barrel because I had once bought ported stainless barrels for a couple of barettas. They tended to jam when hot and I guessed that the chambers were tight or rough or both. I polished them out and they improved, but I never trusted them. I had the opportunity to try the swap, so I did it, not actually anticipating success. I wasn't brilliant, it was just luck, but sometimes that's all you have.......

· Registered
4 Posts
Wow! I read this post this morning and this evening I'm a happier guy! My brother and I both have model 36 glocks. His flawless. Mine totally unreliable. I've tried all reasonable suggestions with no luck. After reading this post, I borrowed his 36, swapped barrels and shot 50 rounds without a problem. I came home and ordered a new barrel. My G36 has never fired even 20 rounds without a jam! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I signed up here just to say that!

· Veteran
983 Posts
What kind of malfunctions were you having? If a barrel swap fixed the issues I'd say it was the feed ramp on the bad barrel .
Glad you have found the cure, Mine 36 has been 100% reliable
Rober Hansen (Post before mine) had the same issue and a new barrel fixed that as well, odd that it was the same exact problem requiring the same exact fix.

· Combat Diver
3,768 Posts
I commend the OP for trying to figure out the problem instead of just selling it off to an unsuspecting buyer.

I guess I've been lucky that I've owned 4 Glock 36's (still have two) without a single hiccup.
This was my concern. Some guy spending hard earned money on a gun I knew didn't work right, even worse, have it fail at a critical time. That's why I spent the money on all new parts in the slide. Sidenote: I just did a trade with a guy for an AR pistol he swore was reliable. Yea, well, now I have a new hobby trying to get it to run. Thanks to all for doing the honorable thing.

· Registered
5,772 Posts
I have had two and could never get ether one to run. I really wanted a 36 but after trying two I just couldn't trust them.

P.S. I have never had a problem with any other Glock that I have owned.
+ A bazillion. The only Glock that WOULD NOT FUNCTION THROUGH A SINGLE MAGAZINE. (Yes, I'm yelling...). All my other Glocks are flawless. This one went back four times!! (not my dime, my dept sent it back for me... :innocent: )

Glock finally sent me a model 23 in lieu of this turkey. Sad, as I really wanted a compact .45 Glock.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What kind of malfunctions were you having? If a barrel swap fixed the issues I'd say it was the feed ramp on the bad barrel .
Glad you have found the cure, Mine 36 has been 100% reliable
Rober Hansen (Post before mine) had the same issue and a new barrel fixed that as well, odd that it was the same exact problem requiring the same exact fix.

In my case, one of the things I had tried was polishing the ramp. It made no difference. Empty cartridges just didn't get out of the way, so what I saw was either a stovepipe or a cartridge stuck parallel to the barrel. I inspected and eventually replaced the extractor claw with no success.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.