close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G36 in Major Sub

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TrooperDan, Sep 29, 2003.

1. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

I want to shoot my G36 in Major Sub and am looking for some advice. I like more space around the front sight than the stock Glock sights give and would like some recommendations for sights that would more nearly equal the sight picture from my Bo Mars on my G17 but would still be practical for CCW. I have a set of Heinies on a G22 that look pretty good but I am looking for more input.

Anyone have any load recommendations for the G36 in major Sub? I have some 200 gr round nose coated lead bullets from precision than look good but I don't have a load that will feed yet. My first load was about .020 shorter than factory 230 gr ball and didn't feed the first two rounds from a full magazine well. My powder charge was too light as well, around 4.0 Red Dot as I recall.

What do you think about a lighter recoil spring?

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dan,

Heinie's are your best bet. They make a front sight specially for the G36.

I use Sierra 185's in my G30. I'll have to look up the load data for a nice, soft round.
    -Danny

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dan,

You can't use a lighter recoil spring and remain stock.

For a 200-gr Jacketed bullet, use 4.7-gr of red dot for a nice, soft power factor of 140. You may have to go to 5.0-gr, still soft. If you use a Sierra 200-gr FP Match bullet, OAL should be 1.155 inches.

4. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

I use Trijicon NS on my G36... maybe not ideal for GSSF competition, but hey - it's a carry gun first and foremost.

My MajorSub load is Winchester USA 185gr Jacketed Flat Point, factory ammo. I have yet to find a factory load or a handload that comes anywhere NEAR being as mild and accurate as this stuff is. I usually buy a case at the beginning of the season, which is more than enough to practice and compete (4 GSSF matches) with.

This combination took me to the winner's circle in MajorSub, 4 out of my last 6 GSSF matches. I highly recommend it.

5. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Hey Danny! Great information Danny; I should have thought to ask you first! I'll order some of the Sierra's and start with your load. Glad to hear the info on the Heinies also! And thanks for the reminder about staying stock! ;P

Hope to see you soon; Nan and I are planning on Lexington in Novemeber.

6. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Hi Shooter2! Tell me which matches you enter so I won't be skunked by you!;) Thanks for the info on the Winchester load; I tried several shops in my area, looking for 185 grain laods and had no luck at all. Does Wally World carry this load? I picked up a Value Pack of .45 230 grain yesterday. Glad to see they are putting something other than 9 mm in those Value Packs! Nan and I have been using the 9 mm Winchester load exclusively in our matches and it has done well for us.

7. EMillen

EMillen Millennium Member

I've had good luck with the Win. 185 load also, hard to find sometimes. Try www.natchezss.com
    Be careful on the sights. Don't know if this is correct info but an armorer told me that the G-36 has less clearance above the barrel for front sight screws. Get sights that are designed for a G-36.
    E.M.

8. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

TrooperDan:

Indiana, Ohio, Missouri and Kentucky. ;f

Not sure if Wally World sells the 185 stuff or not. I work PT at a gun shop, so getting ammo isn't a problem. :) Winchester's stock number is USA45A.

http://www.winchester.com/ammunitio...zdCtBRDAtNStBQ1ktYnVsbGV0dHlwZStBRDAtbm9uZQ==

You mentioned the 9mm... I usually run my handloads in 9mm and .40, but hadn't had time to sit down at the press prior to the Hallsville match. So I picked up a Wally World value-pack of 115gr stuff... and had a failure to fire. ;Q With my own stuff, I can't really blame anyone but myself; since it was factory ammo, Winchester owes me 1-second of time (thank goodness for those tap-rack-bang reflexes). :cool: