close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

g36 fte...again

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by woodrowNC, Feb 7, 2010.

1. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

has anyone solved or even improved fte in g36. love the pistol but 4 fte's in a 100 rds is crazy. ammo brand matters not.

thanks
    keith

2. mark5019

mark5019

my 36 hasnt had a problem

i havent a clue as its not new and shoots ant brand i use

3. cciman

cciman

Need to give more details. FTE= failure to extract.

What is that failed round doing? Stovepipe, or still in barrel?
    How old is the gun and mags? Used, New?

Happening at the top of the mag or the bottom?

100 rounds of what ammo brands? Mixing ammo or the same ammo in each mag fill?

4. den888

den888

If this happens with different magazine and different ammo (factory ammo and not reloads), I would contact Glock Customer Service.

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Does it do it with all magazines? I seem to remember somebody saying it was caused be the empty case catching the top round in the magazine in some way. Maybe try a magazine from a different batch than the ones that came with it.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Well first off,...... :welcome: to GlockTalk! :wavey:

It could be a failure caused be "limp-wristing"
    Do a search for limp wristing or :wavey:see if the problem exists with another shooter.

7. hoffy

hoffy

If so, then give her a few hundred rounds, and yes it could be limp wrist, but might not. If it has a lot of rounds through it(broken in) make sure the chamber is clean . A buddy had problems after shooting some wolf I think, left polymer or lacquer in chamber. My Bushmaster will not eject wolf polymer coated rounds even with chrome bore. Just re-read ammo does not matter, check for crap under extractor and try diff mags and do a search of this forum.:wavey:

8. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I'm sure you cleaned under the extractor already. I do what eveyone says not to and i do lubricate the extractor pivot points, the mag safety pin, and the extractor spring follower, but lightly, where it touches inside its hole.
    I had 4 misfires, on a 26, 3 of these were failure to extract, but with only one ammo type (fiocci) since oyurs does it with everything, extractor or magazines. If it does it with all magazines, possibly extractor is not broken in and a little tight/slow to grab the case?

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Failing to extract or failure to eject?
    Any mods to the gun?

10. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

i tried introducing myself yesterday. didn't show up. no stovepipe. brass is catching on the top of the bore, almost completely out,not even beginning to tip sideways. four different mags, all glock. ammo. hshoks, goldot, ae ball, sb ball. gun is not new. 750 rds maybe. no mods. and everybody limp wrists sometime or another, but after 25 yrs of 1911's, i've pretty much got over that.

thanks
    keith

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  11. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Can you post a pic of this stoppage?

12. PrimitiveHunter

PrimitiveHunter

I am far, far from being an expert (on anything really) but I just went through this same scenario on a different weapon. If the round is not stovepiping, that's a pretty good indicator that it's the extractor. If it were the ejector, you'd get the stovepipes. Hopefully I'm not full of **** but that was what my gunsmith told me and he was right about the fix. Just my 2 cents.

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

If you don't mind my asking, how well do you shoot 3" plastic-framed 1911's?

As a long time 1911 shooter myself, I learned that the shorter barreled 1911's can ask much more of the shooter than the 5" and even the 4 1/4" guns. Plastic guns of very light weight can seemingly increase the potential for this shooter involvement issue to surface upon occasion, too.

Does the extractor drop the case when the failure occurs, or does the slide stop moving rearward with the case still under the extractor?

If the extractor is dirty and stuck partly outward, and the empty case rim is hitting the top of the mouth of the next round in the mag, it can sometimes create an issue where the extractor may drop the empty case before it reaches the ejector.

Granted, a tight or dirty extractor, as well as a dirty chamber, can contribute to failures-to-extract, but if the case is clearing the chamber and yet not clearing the ejection port (or the barrel tab) it can also sometimes be possible the pistol may not be stabilized so the slide can get its full run rearward.

Hard to really speculate without being there to see it and try the gun, but if it's not running right with an assortment of ammo and it involves all the mags ... and the gun is in clean/lubed condition with clean/dry mags and it's happening right off the bat and not toward the end of your range session ... I'd take the gun to a Glock armorer or call Glock.

According to a Glock rep I used to know, he said there were some issues with some of the earlier G36 mags, but that it had been resolved by several years ago.

These issues do seem to happen more to shooters of diminutive .45's than larger ones, though.

I can get my CS45 to sometimes exhibit a feeding stoppage if I relax my wrist at exactly the wrong moment, but not a failure-to-extract.

14. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

The extractor can be damaged by dropping the slide on a chambered cartridge. This often chips or cracks the extractor. Replacing the extractor should fix it if that is the problem. Only chamber cartridges fed from the magazine.

15. billkny

billkny

I bought a used G36 about 1 month ago, and then found this forumn :crying: Appeared clean and like new but the 2nd mag FTE the 2nd spent case. It seems that it's always the 2nd case that gets hung up, bang bang JAM, pull mag, clear and shoot the last 4 no problem. I marked the mag for ID and both mags will do it. Ran 12 mags through it and had 5 jams. Cleaned the gun, didn't see anything wrong, not over lubed but did seem really dirty for the round count. After reassembly ran over 100 rnds straight with no problems then started jamming on almost every mag, always the 2nd round. It's not stovepiping, appeares exactly like the OP's description and some pics I've seen linked to from this site. Thought maybe just cleaning every 100 rnds would do it but after the next cleaning made it to the 4th mag then it happened again, then finshed that box of 50 with no more stoppages. I hope Glock has decided to admit that there is a problem and found a fix, not sure how many rounds it will have to go before I regain my confidance, it's a shame, I really like this pistol. I've been trying Glock at 866-538-3517 over and over but it's a really busy number.

Edit: Mine is Ser #KZGXXX manuf in Sept 07, I noticed that the mst famous G36 was Manuf in Mar 08

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

thanks for the responses. i've removed the slide, put a dummy round under the extractor, rotated the slide around and over and the round was stable under it. i just put 5 mags worth thru it and had 4 fte's. the ex. doesn't have the case rim at all. it left it, partially in the chamber, while the slide wants to feed another rd. thought about replacing the ex., but called glock instead. told me to send it in, which i am. i told him of some of the 36 probs i had read about on the internet. he told me the internet was a waste of electricity and that he was very surprised as the 36 was one of their most reliable models. he had to have once been a kimber rep.
    again, thanks for the info.

keith

17. billkny

billkny

18. Range Rat

Range Rat

A Kimber rep?!?! Very funny, Keith!

19. PrimitiveHunter

PrimitiveHunter

This is what my broken extractor jams looked like. Yeah. I know. It's a Tommy Gun, not a Glock but the principle is the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. woodrowNC

woodrowNC

pictures 1 3 and 4. exactly. sorry i can't post pics, ain't there yet. but thank you for doing it for me. may try a new ex. before sending it off.
    also, this whole issue has occupied my thoughts so much that i forgot to mention i'm taking delivery on a new g26 tomorrow. so i'm hopeful and excited at the same time.

thanks, keith