close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G35 Hunting at Bowhunting Ranges

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by bushmasterguy, Oct 3, 2003.

1. bushmasterguy

bushmasterguy

Hello Fellow Glockers,

My dad and his best friend have been bowhunting on my small ranch in South Texas. They have both taken white tail deer already. My ranch has not been hunted in years.

The hunting blinds and stands they have set up are well within 25 yards and I have been seriously thinking about hunting from these with my Glock 35. I have replaced my standard Glock Sights with Dawson Precision Sights and I am quiet capable of placing 2" groups at 25 yards.

When I am checking my fences and doing ranch work my G35 is my constant companion. Call me a High Tech Cowboy!

Anyone have any opinions about hunting with a G35 at 25 yards and less?

2. vafish

vafish

Pick your ammo carefully,

You want something with enough penetration on a deer. SD bullets often don't penetrate enough for deer hunting. I'd try one of the 180 Gr JHP's. Have fun.

We have little deer around here. I'm going to be carrying my G36 with some Corbon Powrball during deer season. If I get a nice braod side shot on a small deer I'm going to try it out.

3. BKD in Texas

BKD in Texas Millennium Member

It will work, I can vouch for it. Use 180 gr. bullets, in as "warm" a load as you can safely shoot. Place your shot just like your bowhunting buddies do - behind the shoulder and angled forward into the heart/lung area. Don't try to punch through the shoulder, but slip the bullet behind it.

Limit your shots to 35 yards or less. Mark the EXACT spot where the deer is standing before you shoot (so you can look for blood). Give the deer 30 minutes if he runs, and be prepared to track a ways, if necessary. But if you do the above correctly, the deer won't go much over 100 yards, and probably much less.

Take Care and Good Luck,
    BKD

4. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Cannot recommend any shots beyond 15 or so yards because there really aren't any 40SW loads out there developed for hunting.

Now if you reload and you got some nice 175 grain Silvertips or some 180 JHPs and loaded with a very slow powder like AA#7 to get that bullet doing 1350 plus, you'd have about 700 FPE.

Sure enough for close in hunting.

But only with an aftermarket barrel.

Can close in.

But would prefer you go 10mm - one day.

5. bushmasterguy

bushmasterguy

I was sitting in that Bow Stand this morning at 6:30am.

Saw a few deer come by and was hoping to see some Coyotes but did not. I had a bead on them with my G35 but of course I did not shoot. If only it were gun season.

I am going to set up some paper targets and practice from that stand during the day a few times to get ready for the real thing!

6. redhawk500

redhawk500

Practice is the brother of accuracy. Use some neutral color without a defined aim point if you can, a 8 1/2" high by 11" wide for heart-lung area or some such would work, 9" or smaller paper plates work too. The downward angle, assuming tree stand is great too. Your "field position" will be your tree stand. I've never formally practiced from my stand, but I spend most of my practice standing on my feet, not at a bench. I suggest a lower third of both lungs shot, as close to the shoulder as you can get. A pistol bullet will penetrate the thin shoulders of Texas deer, but why waste the meat? Consider 200 grain Hornady XTP. I used the 300 grain Hornday XTP in .45 Colt at 990 fps for mountain lion, about the same size as deer, and was very pleased. Don't be tempted to higher velocity, lighter bullets for more ft-lbs of energy but do use expanding JHPs on deer for lung shots. Winchester silvertips have worked well for me in heavier calibers like .41 Magnum. Cast or soft point bullets kill, but slower. If you anticipate follow up shots, load some soft point or hard cast in the magazine for a quick second shot or bad angle. Handgun hunting can be addictive. If it is inside 50 yards, I can't picture choosing anything but a handgun with iron sights or a bow. My center fire rifles go out for long range and bigger game. Night sights are great by the way, since most deer shooting comes at dawn or dusk. I find myself packing it in here in the hills of Tennessee in the woods a half hour before the end of legal hunting because I can't define basic iron sights. Open field hunting or stand position may help you.

7. ajstrider

ajstrider Silent Warrior

I feel that at bowhunting ranges, you should be good to go, just head everyone's advice. DO NOT go for lighter, faster bullets. The lack of sectional density will keep them from penetrating as far, and penetration is what you want here. I am currently checking out .40 loads and am going to list a few I would use for deer.

DoubleTap 200 grain Hornady XTP
    DoubleTap 200 grain Lead Wide flat point with gas check

The XTP is obviously an expanding bullet, and I would probably not trust this for a through the shoulder bone and muscle shot. Someone already posted, this is like an archery shot, try to place it just behind the shoulder bone and angle it forward into the heart and lungs more if you can.

The flat point is not going to expand much at all, but it should smash right through the first shoulder, into the vitals, and I would wager through the next shoulder too. These are the types of bullets I use in my .41 magnum and 45 long colts for hunting. They have a huge frontal diameter to make a wicked hole and they just penetrate through animals so well. They do mushroom slightly, but maintain most of their weight.

So I would choose between these two rounds if I was hunting with a .40. I wish someone loaded a heavier Barnes XPB for you, but they don't.

8. Broylz

Broylz

good thing you posted this here. i posted similar up in the General firearms section and had one guy claim a 140 yard kill shot with a G19, anyway i too have wondered about using my G35 on deer or hogs within bow hunting range. i figured i might try loading some 200gr XTPs or similar and see how hard i can push them safely with some once fired Winchester cases. will probably want a slower powder though, i currently use Tite Group.

9. ajstrider

ajstrider Silent Warrior

Yeah that was a pretty terrible thread going on the 140 yard shot! This hunting forum is way better for things like that, not a whole of idiots in this forum!

10. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

I usually carry either my G35 or G23 while rifle hunting. I haven't had a chance to take a deer with either yet. I hope to soon. :cool:

11. drz-400

drz-400

I'd keep the range 25 yards or less.

12. gatorboy

gatorboy

No .40 loads for hunting but there are plenty of good bonded HP's to choose from. The 35 is about as powerful as a Glock 29. That's not bad. There are those FP 200's that DT loads also. Those will make large entry and exit wounds.

13. Broylz

Broylz

how would a G35 with hot loads compare to a G20 with hot loads? will it be a drastic difference?

14. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

40S&W maxes out about 415 ft.lbs. @ 50yds

10mm maxes out about 550 ft.lbs. @ 50yds

Of course it all depends on the ammo and length of bbl.

Is that enough to make a difference, I would say not really.

If you got both, take the 10, if all you have is a .40, use it with confidence.

For reference, the .357 will max out about 640 and the .44 mag over 1000. :supergrin:

If I remember correctly the recommend 800 ft.lbs. min for large deer.

15. Broylz

Broylz

thats why i asked at bowhunting ranges. a 60lb compound bow will not generate 800 lbs of energy and the data listed above at 50 yards is good. thats the farthest id personally take a shot with my G35.

16. countryrebel

countryrebel

It will work just fine. Trust me.

17. Broylz

Broylz

should i go with a hard cast or solid or would my 155gr gold dots work well enough?

18. gatorboy

gatorboy

Here's some data from DT with a 4" barrel. With well over an extra inch of barrel you could count on another 50 fps, probably more.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/External-ballistics-Doub-t40188.html

The 155's will be fine. They are a tough, bonded bullet. I prefer 180's but that's just because of the shooting characteristics of a heavier, slower projectile. You'll probably get more from the longer barrel with light to mid weight bullets. I've got a Caspian 35 slide with KKM 40 and 357sig barrels. I know what a little extra velocity and sight radius can do.

Have a great hunt and post some pics and your experience for us.

19. countryrebel

countryrebel

Your 155GD's will work. I have used 165 fmj with good results out of a G22.

20. shot1

shot1

All this stuff about foot pounds of energy is just a bunch of noise when it really comes down to killing a deer. I have killed over 200 deer with about everything from a bow and arrow through a 45-70. I have killed many deer with hand guns. It does not matter what you shoot a deer with if you poke a hole through both lungs or it's heart it is dead. It may run off a little ways before it goes down but it will die. I have found that the Hornady XTP bullet is a great deer killer. I have never used the 40 S&W but have used the 45 ACP with the 200 gr XTP and it killed the deer just a good as a 50 cal muzzle loader. I have even killed deer with a 200 gr LSWC going around 900 fps to kill deer with the 45 ACP. For the bow range shots you are talking about I would go with the Hornady factory ammo with the 180 XTP and slip it just behind the edge of the front shoulder. I have used the 250 XTP in my 5 1/2" Ruger BH at 1200 fps and it does a great job on deer. I also used my TC Contender 10" barrel 357 mag barrel and the 180 gr XTP at 1375 fps to take a deer at 107 yards by range finder year before last. To show you how well the XTP bullets do I have only recovered one bullet. All others have been pass throughs and you can tell that the bullets expanded just like they were supposed to. The deer that I took with the 357 mag in the Contender was angling toward me. I placed the cross hair of the scope on the center of it's front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The scope was zeroed for 100 yards. At the shot the deer squated and almost went down but got it's ballance and took off only to crash about 50 yards away. When I skinned it out the bullet had struck in the center of the shoulder bone went through the chest angling back toward the off side back hip. I found the slug just under the hide at the edge of the front side of the back hip. The slug was a perfect text book mushroom. Now if that 180 gr XTP bullet that had most likely slowed down to around 1000 fps at 107 yards went through the shoulder bone and traveled through some 3 feet of deer worked. It is for sure your 40 S&W inside 30 yards with a 180 XTP with a muzzle velocity of almost 1000 fps will take out both lungs as it passes through and exits. It is all about shot placement so practice taking some kind of rest to shoot from. I use a shooting rail on tree stands and sandbags from my shooting house or a camera tripod with a sandbag for ground blinds. You can alwasy use any tree etc. for a brace.