close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G35 FTE w/ LWD 40-9 4 port internal comp

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by J-Lo, Jul 19, 2012.

1. J-Lo

J-Lo

Bit of an ignorant question. Got a G35 through GSSF pistol purchase program and love it. Wanted to get the 40-9 conversion and figured I try the compensated barrel since the material is already removed from the slide. Never tried anything like that before...just thought it might be fun. It is. But I'm getting FTEs with three different types of ammo. My queston: Is this simly a matter of loss of pressure through the comp holes making the slide not cycle correctly or could it be something different. If it is, does anyone recommend a "sportier" factory 9mm load that won't break the bank but will cycle the slide when I'm using the conversion barrel. Thanks in advance.

2. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

I have countless rounds through my G35 with a LW 40-9 barrel. Never a failure.

3. J-Lo

J-Lo

Great. Is it compensated?

4. PM720

PM720

I've had a couple of FTE's in the .40-9 LWD G35 setup with the Federal Champion ammo. This same ammo has been pretty flawless so far in the G22 top end with a G22 .40-9 LWD barrel. All non-comped.

What ammo have you been using? Maybe try some CCI Lawman and see how that works?

Scott

5. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

no.....

6. Taildraggerdave

Taildraggerdave

You might want to try a lighter recoil spring assembly if you have that option. I have a LW 40-9 conversion barrel (not ported) and run super light 125pf loads through it but I run an 11# recoil spring. No problems.
    I believe LW has a troubleshooting section on their website and they talk about running +P loads for a while to seat everything in. I ran a few for kicks but just run a reduced power rsa and all is well.

Take care,
    Dave

7. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

IMHO,

you have the combination of (3) things working against you and your G35. You're shooting 9mm ammo (commercial) which most of is suspect on power, and I would venture to say you're shooting the light 115gr stuff, and the conversion barrel is ported on a 40 gun with a heavier top side than a 9mm pistol. (barrel is heavier)

While the weight difference might not be huge, the upper for the 40 is still heavier than a 9mm because of the differences in barrel size. The ports in your barrel are on a non extended barrel and before the front sight which will slow the round down much more than an extended ported barrel that is basically a wash because the extra velocity from the added length and the velocity loss from the ports basically cancel each other out.

I think a combination of recoil spring change and hotter 9mm ammo would fix you up fine. Try to find some Winchester NATO 9MM and pick yourself up a guide rod from Wolff Gunsprings with their 3 pack of recoil springs in different weights so you can play around and find what works.

Good luck and keep us posted.

8. PM720

PM720

I might suggest a 9mm extractor too. I have a complete setup I plan to try on my G35 upper someday. :whistling:

Scott

9. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Have a 24C on which I use a LW 40/9 conversion barrel (non ported) that has had similar issues using lower powered 9mm. Have switched to NATO loads and haven't had any problems since.

10. J-Lo

J-Lo

Great stuff, guys. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it and will follow up on the suggestions.

11. davsco

davsco

every time i see a glock NOT work during an idpa or uspsa competition, i ask and the shooter has done some mods to it, over and above basic trigger work.

my advice, which may be worth what you're paying for it, is that if you want an open gun, start with the 1911 / 2011 platform. if you want a gun that always works, stick with a stock glock or at least a very lightly modified glock.