G35 chambering problems

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by warbird1, Feb 18, 2020.

1. warbird1

warbird1

Recently purchased a used G35 which appears to be in good shape. First trip to the range today and having problems with the gun failing to chamber rounds. It will fire a round and then fail to chamber the next round. Slingshot it and it chambers the round. Two magazines came with the gun and it occurs in both almost every round. I have ordered two new mags.
    Will have them by the end of the week. Could it be anything else? Mags seem to have just a bit of play.

2. mtstream

mtstream

No problem ejecting the spent casing? No jams? Just doesn’t pick up the next round?

Without any other issue, it does sound like the springs are weak on the mags. I would replace the springs in the gun on principle alone. I do this on all used Glocks I buy because you never know what the previous owner did to the springs.

ChrisJn likes this.

3. warbird1

warbird1

Thank you for the response. No problem ejecting the spent casing. If the two new mags work right then I will order new springs for the old mags.

4. tangolima

tangolima

Did the pistol, with the ammo in question, pass the plunk test?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Curious if there is tension in the magazines on the last round? I find it unlikely to be the magazines considering both are acting the same and Glock magazines truly are great. The chance of two bad/worn magazines is slim. To start with the simple solution first I would try a couple brands/weights of ammo. Owning a Glock 35 myself I haven't found it picky but it is an easy test. Not all ammo is created equal. Mine was also used and although it ran fine, I replaced all the main springs with new factory springs (recoil spring, trigger return spring and striker spring). You never know what funky stuff people put in or how worn the springs are. I have also heard a Flashlight can cause issues on some 40. Cal Glocks but I don’t have any experience with that. Limp wristing can cause malfunctions in any semi automatic pistol as well.

6. mtstream

mtstream

The issue with the flashlights was that they reduced how much the frame flexed when fired - the result of the stiffer frame is the slide cycles faster. The slides were cycling faster than the magazine could get the next round in place. The fix for the Gen3s was to increase the magazine spring from a 10 coil to 11 coil spring.

With the increased RSA used in Gen4 .40S&W the Tac-lights became less of a problem.

The OP didn't say how old his 35 was (Gen3 or prior) but a magazine issue is more likely in the Glock .40 than any other model.

Thinking about this though - a weak RSA could contribute as well, letting the slide cycle faster. It would probably take a bit of both RSA and magazine spring - a tolerance stacking type situation.

7. warbird1

warbird1

To be a little more detailed it is a Gen4 G35. I bought it at my LGS. It was a trade in supposedly by a local LEO who stated he was going to 45ACP firearms only. The firearm appears to be of a low round count with most wear being holster wear. I ordered 2 extra mags as I always do anyway. I won't be able to get to the range until Tuesday and at that time I will be able to either confirm or count out the mags as the source of the problem. Next would be to change the guide rod assembly I guess. To be clear when the round fires the spent casing is ejected. The slide cycles and catches on the top edge of the next round. It is like the round is not coming up quite fast enough. I then sling shot the slide which solves the problem...at least until the next round. It's about an 80% failure rate.

8. warbird1

warbird1

Just did the RSA test. Seems to be working well. Released it too fast once. It set off the glass break alarm. I do intend to order some extra power mag springs.

9. warbird1

warbird1

Never mind. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I realized today it was something simple. The pistol has an extended slide lock. I believe I was bumping it up with my thumb causing the problem. Never have had that problem in 40+ years of shooting. I have ordered a new standard slide lock today. I expect the problem to cease. Egg on my face. Oh well...

10. warbird1

warbird1

Final update...as I said it is a used gun. Last owner improperly installed the extended slide lock by bending the spring lever. It made it lock back the slide without my help. New slide lock properly installed solved the problem completely. Took it to the range today with 100% satisfaction. No egg after all. :cheers:

BigBull 301 likes this.