G34 "Unsafe Action" Pistol: Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by scooter1942, Oct 31, 2010.

1. scooter1942

scooter1942

A couple of weeks back, I bought a G34. It was a Blue Label gun and came with the 5.5# connector.

In the past couple of weeks I've put a 3.5# OEM connector and the Wolff Competition spring kit in the gun. Shoots like a dream except...

If I begin to squeeze the trigger, or simply depress the trigger safety, there is not enough spring counter tension to reset the trigger and reengage the safety. Basically, the pistol is acting like a SA pistol with no safety.

Is this normal for a pistol with competition springs installed? If not, which spring should I return to the OEM configuration?

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

Did you try it without the reduced power FP spring?

3. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

I would put the stock trigger spring back and do a function check. :wavey:

4. fasted

fasted RECON

Mine does the same thing. Its normal. BTW, its a STRIKER spring. And yes, thats what happens...You shouldn't need to let off the trigger once you begin pressing it to the rear anyway, finger off or pulling it, IMO.

5. pangloss9

pangloss9

I would ditch the reduced power safety block spring first. If that didn't fix it, I would get rid of the extra power trigger spring.

6. ross2004

ross2004 Mark it zero!

7. English

English

This is not the way a trigger system should behave. It is essential that a trigger returns to a safe condition when it is pulled part way and then released. Otherwise it is left in a dangerous condition where a very light touch on the trigger will cause the pistol to fire. This means that the main spring alone, the striker spring in the Glock's case, should act to return the system to a safe condition since it is the power of the main spring which cuases the danger. Using another spring to return the trigger would place the pistol in a dangerous condition if that spring failed, but if the stiker spring fails the pistol is safe. If you watch the hammer as you pull the trigger of a 1911 you will see that the hammer is cocked further against the mainspring as the trigger is pulled and that the hammer returns to its original position if the trigger is released before the hammer drops. This is achieved by the camming action of the engagement between the surfaces.

If your 34 is not behaving in this correct way there are several possibilities. The most dangerous is that the angle of the face of the striker lug has been changed to reduce its camming action. the only solution to this wouold be a new striker. The next is that there is excessive friction somewher in the system, but this would seem unlikely as the pistol has a light trigger pull. Next is that the trigger spring, that is the one under the cruciform of the trigger bar, is too strong. The last is that the striker spring is too weak. All of these things can act cumulatively of course.

English

8. rsxr22

rsxr22

Personally for me, the lighter the trigger the better. My G34 breaks at 3.3 lbs. If it was lighter and still uber reliable, it would be the perfect world. The trigger on the glock is exactly why i LOVE 1911's. Such a good trigger right out of the box even on subpar makes. Like fasted said, you should not be releasing the trigger once you begin to pull. You position and slow press to the rear the trigger when your intended target has been identified.

9. JBP55

JBP55

A bad connector can also cause this.

10. AustinTx

AustinTx

Use OEM striker spring, first.

Then, even if that fixes it, put all OEM springs in it, anyway.

11. Larry V

Larry V

A Glock is not suppose to operate like a 1911

12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

The FIRING PIN spring is the spring that pulls the trigger forward when the slide is closed.

If the trigger doesn't return all the way forward when you take your finger off of it (after the slide closes), the gun's not safe.

13. samuse

samuse

That happened to me with a Wolff competition spring set and a LWD 3.5lb connector.

I didn't realize it until I had been at the range and shot a match with it like that.

The pistol is not drop safe in that condition!

Put the factory stuff in it and leave it alone.

14. K_Rasmussen

K_Rasmussen NRA Life Member

don't mess with prefection.:fred:

15. scooter1942

scooter1942

Problem solved.

Trigger spring was too strong.

16. AustinTx

AustinTx

Are you sure it was the trigger spring, causing the problem?

17. scooter1942

scooter1942

Pretty sure...the problem doesn't exist anymore.

Here's what I did...
    First, I swapped the firing pin stop spring. No difference. So I swapped back.
    Then, I replaced the striker spring...some difference, but not what I had hoped.
    Then, I put the striker with Wolff spring in my G17 and it worked just fine.
    So, I put the striker with the Wolff spring back in the G34 and replaced the extra power trigger spring with the OEM. Basically, the trigger spring was overpowering the striker spring and not pushing the trigger back out once a little pressure was applied.

Now, if I slightly depress the trigger and release, the trigger pops back out and the trigger safety engages. And, I was still able to retain the fantastic trigger pull I have with the 3.5#connector and the Wolff striker spring and firing pin stop.

18. bentbiker

bentbiker

I fear, with your terminology "firing pin stop spring" (actually the FP safety spring), you might have misunderstood some of the suggestions. The firing pin spring, as it is called by Glock, has more effect on pulling the trigger forward than the trigger spring does pulling it rearward, so putting the original FP spring back in would certainly solve the problem if you did it correctly. I'm guessing that when you said "not what I had hoped," you meant that you didn't like the increase in trigger pull weight.

You haven't said what this gun is for, but I'm assuming it is not for SD. As long as you know you are trading possible light primer strikes for the lighter pull, sounds like you are good to go. The manufacturers of the reduced power FP springs do not recommend them for SD weapons.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  19. AustinTx

AustinTx

Yeah, what bentbiker said. I think, the trigger "return" spring, isn't. The trigger spring actually is helping you to pull the trigger. The striker spring resets it.

20. JBP55

JBP55

A 6# trigger spring with a 4# firing pin spring creates problems in some Glocks. Glad you found the problem.