Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a Gen 4 G34 and love it but it shoots about 6" to the left at 25 yards making it necessary for me to drift the rear sight all the way to the right in the dovetail.

I've been told this is common with Glocks but I've owned quite a few and have never had this happen before. They usually shoot POA/POI.

Anyone else had this problem?

· I'm not retired
8,500 Posts
They usually shoot POA/POI.

Anyone else had this problem?
Of the 12 Glocks I own, none have been dead on POA/POI. Elevation on some were but dead center all the way around....nope.

Which rear sight came on yours? One of my G34's has very little elevation adjustment left and one is nearly out of adjustment for windage and elevation. The other G34 wasn't off much, either way.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Not implying that this is your situation.......but recently had a range session after a long, long absence from hand gunning.

Took my Glocks and a 1911.

I was shooting everything left. My groups looked like something needed to be recalibrated.

It sure wasn't the sights.

Next session I placed more finger past the trigger and quit using my finger pad. Turns out it was a much more natural grip and feel. The groups came back to center on all guns.

No sights adjusted.

· Banned
35,022 Posts
Shooting left happens often if you are used to shooting something like a nice single action revolver (think any nice single action with little distance in the tripper pull) and go to a Glock (or other long pull striker fired gun).

Move you target closer (7 to 10 yards). Use a paper with a 1/2 vertical line on it. Dont worry about up and down shot placement. Just concentrate on proper trigger pull and smooth. Work on getting the shots all evenly spaced left/right about a vertical line. The reason I say vertically spaced, is then it doesnt matter what your group size is.

If your group at 5 yards is 10 inches across, but it is 5 to the right and 5 to left, you are at least working on fundamentals. Worry about group size after you have the right /left issue under control.

But my gut tells me its a long trigger pull doing it to you.

· Registered
205 Posts
Another possible solution to your problem is, changing ammo.

A couple years ago I went out to practice with my Glock 22 to get ready for a firearms instructor course and the first mag full of ammo went high and left, about 12" from point of aim (target at 25 yards). I put a second fresh loaded mag in the gun and took my time to focus on all of the fundamentals of marksmanship with each shot. The results......same thing, high & left by about 12". Ammo used, Rem./UMC yellow box 250 pack, 180 grn FMJ.

Next mag I loaded up with the good / expensive 180 grn JHP ammo the department provided me to use at the training. Results were, a nice group centered in middle of the target right on for point of aim. The rest of 50 round box went right where I aimed as well.

I had never seen this much difference in point of impact between two different ammo types at this distance.

Hope this helps....

· On the Border
16,933 Posts
If you are right-handed, you are most likely pulling the shots left. There are more reasons for this than just triggering. The ability to consistently dryfire a Glock without disturbing the sight picture in no way assures the ability to avoid pulling shots, especially under pressure or distraction.

I'm not claiming to be God's gift to windage, but I've shot a pretty good volume out of 8 different Glocks and I've never seen any indication that any of them shot left. Pretty much every time I make a bad call with no other influence, the shot goes left.

You can work thousands of hours on this, be a very good shooter, and still if you look carefully you will see an inclination to pull shots to the weak side shooting freestyle with a Glock. It may not rise to the level of being a problem, but it will probably be your error default.

My approach to this is always to center the rear sight. For elevation, I consider personal perception and mechanical tendencies (timing splits, driving the muzzle down, etc.). But for windage with a Glock, I think it's best to make the adjustments to the shooter. For starters, you need to be able to shoot reasonably fast splits with the sights tracking perfectly vertically.

Glocks cast shooters' errors in incredibly harsh light. I look at this as a gift. If takes some insight to be able to burn off fast splits on tight targets with a Glock. The pursuit of that goal teaches a lot about pistol shooting.

· Registered
15,399 Posts
I came back to Glock after a ten year absence I had to drift my sight to the right. As I shot the Glock more I gradually drifted it back most of the way. I think it is still about 0.020" from center.

· Registered
59,814 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you to everyone for the awesome advice! I've been shooting Glocks for years and had several other shooters whom I respect shoot it too. My G34 shot high and way to the left for them too! I'm sighting it in with Winchester SXT 147 grain which is what I carry in it. Will stay with it and see if it's me or not!

· Just sayin'
4,682 Posts
Thank you to everyone for the awesome advice! I've been shooting Glocks for years and had several other shooters whom I respect shoot it too. My G34 shot high and way to the left for them too! I'm sighting it in with Winchester SXT 147 grain which is what I carry in it. Will stay with it and see if it's me or not!
Years ago I had a pistol that was shooting way off and no sight adjustment was able to get it on target. I sent it back to the factory and I got back my pistol shooting on target. You may want to consider sending the Glock pistol back to the mother ship for the spa treatment and I'm sure it should remedy the issue. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.