close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G34 or G17C for Unlimited?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by sportshooter, Sep 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. sportshooter

sportshooter .com or .info Millennium Member

Anyone have one of each? Does the porting really help the gun shoot flatter? Or do you have to use a hotter round to get value from the porting, limiting its value?

Assuming I'm building an unlimited gun (with a Carver mount, of course), which one will keep the red-dot from bouncing so much -- the longer, heavier G34 or the ported G17C? I've got a load for the G34 that works it quite reliably even though all of the brass is in a small pile on the table at the end of the string. But I'm willing to rebuild on a G17C if I get the sense that it will shoot even flatter.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and opinions...Millard

2. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Millard,

I would say go with the 34. You already have a reduced load for it. The 17C will require hotter rounds to make the ports work to any degree of appreciation.

A longer slide and barrel with added weight such as tungsten rod etc. will be a much better choice in my opinion.

How about a 17L? It's worked for me.;)

3. Peter - BKK

Peter - BKK

Millard,

I shot both the 17C and the 34 and selected the 34. My reasons:

G34 can be made shoot in both standard and open divisions, whereas G17C can only shoot open
    The ports in the 17C seemed to me to be in the wrong place and dirtied up the front sight.
    For open (unlimited), buy a longer competition barrel for the G34 (eg FireDragon) which has the ports on the longer front of the barrel out front of the slide (does not dirty up the slide so much)
    G34 comes with the lighter trigger and the extended mag release.

Hope this helps.
    Peter

4. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Millard,
    I would choose the Model 34. Here's why:

1. The longer barrel will allow you some more velocity from your current load. We have found that using the CARVER Mount, your frame is stiffer allowing the slide to function with more energy, ejecting your empty brass easier.

2. As Tom stated, the 17C will require a heavier load because of the loss of combustion through the ports. Even if you chose the 17C, shooting a light load would not give you less recoil or muzzle flip. The advantages that you may feel, shooting a lighter load, is the less weight of the slide (cut for the ports) versus a 17 with no ports.

3. If you feel that you need a lighter slide for the 34, you can drill it out and still have the addes support of the barrel.

IDEA: Use a 34 with a 17L barrel. The extra length barrel will offer some additional velocity and power factor.

Best regards,
    Bobby Carver

5. PhilipD

PhilipD 17L/CarverMount

For all the reasons already listed I would go with the G34 also.

6. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

And now for the other side. I have both.

I would go with a 17C. The shorter slide will cycle faster, the porting is very effective at reducing muzzle flip. You can still run very light loads (drop the spring weight on either gun). The 34 has more mass and more reciprocating weight to move the dot.