Glock 17 G34 or G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HQBrass, Apr 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. HQBrass

HQBrass Glock Nut

I am shooting IPSC with an Open G-35, I also want to shoot limited and production too. I am set on the Glock platform and I know that I want a 9mm but I can’t decide between a G-34 or G-17. I am leaning more towards the G-17. I don’t like the Glock 3.5 trigger so that would change along with the sights. What other benefits are there to be had with the G-34. There is about a $150 dollar difference between them. I could get a lot of goodies for $150.

Am I missing something here? Help a Glocker out…
    :)

2. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

around a 1/2 on the barrel, a ported slide, 3.5 connector, and ext mag release, are the only differences.

That being said, I'd still take a G35.

But if I were you I would just get a conversion barrel for your G35 if thats an option.

3. HQBrass

HQBrass Glock Nut

I have one but it is 100% unreliable with my Carver mount and I can't change calibers in Production and Limited Class.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I prefer the 34, a little softer shooting and better balance.

5. HQBrass

HQBrass Glock Nut

I was thinking the same thing about balance and recoil too. I am having trouble with this one. I could always get both.;f

6. C9X19

C9X19

I agree. If you get the G34 you'll be shooting minor in Limited. If you handload, I've been told that some people can load 40 minor (for production) really light and still hit the minor power factor.

7. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

G17Raider: Yeah, I'm not so sure the 1/2 barrel helps that much as far as bullet velocity goes, but I'll take all I can get. I can load some 125pf loads in that 40 that make a 9mm have more recoil. Plus if you have a stainless barrel, it looks really cool with the slide ported. Plus I like being able to load a 40 for major or minor. If you get a 9mm, its tough to get it to make major (165pf)

8. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

In my unscientific testing a 34 gets about 30-50 more fps than a 17.

9. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Randy,

Buy a used G17 somewhere and go to town.

I go back and forth between the G17 and my G35 in Production. It really doesn't make a hill of beans difference which you use.

10. Clay1

Clay1

If you are shooting a 35 now, the 34 is the same gun in 9mm. What exactly don't you like about the 3.5 pound connector? Do you want a heavier trigger pull? By the way just because it says 3.5 pound connector don't confuse this to a 3.5 pound trigger pull. Both of my G34s of recent build came with 5 + pound triggers and the 3.5 pound connectors were in both guns. No big deal but in addition to the others things mentioned for the G34 and 35 for that matter is that they both do come with an extended slide stop button.

I just love the 9 - I have a Dillion reloader but prefer to just buy 9mm ammo at a little over $100 / 1000 rounds for Blazers with aluminum cases. During a match while everyone else is chasing their brass, I don't care about the brass and focus on the stage at hand.

11. HQBrass

HQBrass Glock Nut

About the 3.5 connector, I think the Glock connector is mushy. I like the Scherer or the Ghost. I can take a little heavier pull if it breaks crisp. There are new G-17's on sale around here for $459-$499 so it looks like that is what I'm going with. I plan on sticking some Dawson adjustable fiber optic sights on it too.

12. Vinh

Vinh

Kind of related... I have a 17 with over 30K rounds through it. Recently discovered that the factory ammo I use (Magtech) only makes 120 power factor. Should I keep my 17 and hope different ammo will be more powerful (maybe Winchester value packs)? Someone else shooting a 34 with the exact same ammo made 131, so purchasing a 34 is an option. The great disparity between the two barrel lengths leads me to believe that there is something more going on. Is it possible that my barrel is worn out somewhat?

13. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Vinh, I assume you are shooting IDPA. According to the rulebook, if your ammo makes power factor using the longest possible barrel allowed for your division, then your ammo is legal. Example: if I take the ammo that I use to shoot IDPA and shoot it through a g27, I am sure it WILL NOT make power factor out of that G27. But since it makes power factor out of the G35, it would be legal to use it in the G27. So if your magtech ammo makes power factor out of a G34, but not your G17, its still legal to use that ammo. I have never had a problem using WWb ammo. You may try cleaning the barrel to gain some FPS. I also found that an aftermarket barrel picked up a few fps in my G35.

hope it helps
    Tim

14. Vinh

Vinh

Tim,
    Thanks for the comments. I actually want to shoot IPSC, but will be unable to do so until I resolve the power factor issue.

15. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

you mean wanna try CCI, WWB and Wolf to see of they will make power factor for USPSA, or you could do what I do when I shoot USPSA. Shoot minor and dont miss. As long as you are getting "A" zone hits it doesnt matter if you are shooting major or minor pf. Just don't miss.

or you could shoot in production with your G17 and not worry about power factor. Its kinda tough to get any off the shelf ammo to make a 165PF with 9mm.

16. TC Rider

TC Rider

There is a big hole in the slide, but the barrel is not ported, it's for weight reduction. You also get an extended slide release.

The barrel is closer to .8" longer and the slide is nearly an inch longer.

You can certainly go far with the G17 and add a lot of the goodies on the 34, you can't add that longer barrel and sight radius, which with my tired eyes make a difference.

17. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

I didnt say the barrel was ported

18. TC Rider

TC Rider

No you didn't, but there seems to be a lot of confusion in the general population about the hole in the slide, I was just trying to clarify.

19. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Sorry if that seemed aa little rash. I meant to add a smiley face in there. :)
    Sorry
    Tim

20. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

pf = 136
    :)