G34 barrel in a G35?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by snowbird.40, Feb 24, 2010.

1. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Is it possible to purchase a .40 caliber G35 and then swap a G34 9mm barrel into the slide and shoot with 9mm mags? Do you have to change the extractor or any other parts to make it work reliably? How about recoil spring or striker spring?

Thanks for your experience and advice.

2. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

You need a 40-9mm conversion barrel,not a 34 barrel.

3. got_metal

got_metal

Indeed you need a 40-9 conversion, which in my experience(a G22) works very well with 9mm mags, no extractor change. The only barrel I believe you dont need a conversion for is a .357 SIG to .40 swap and vice-versa. These barrels are basically identical in every way except for the bore size.

4. NYresq

NYresq

The breach face is smaller on the 9mm so the barrel hood would not fit tight into the 40 breach face and the barrel would not be secure in the slide. Several companies make conversion barrels in 9mm with the larger hood to lock up in the 40 size breach face. EFK, KKM and storm lake are just a few. But nothing else on the pistol needs to be changed, just drop in the barrel and insert a 9mm mag and you are good to go.

5. HK Dan

HK Dan

You can actually get a Storm Lake conversion barrel for about the same cost as a GLOCK factory barrel. I prefer them to Lone Wolf (hate the little logo on the hood) and KKM (cost), plus? They're good folks to deal with if you need something special.

Otherwise, the previous poster's experience dovetails precisely with my own.

6. hermanden

hermanden

am i wrong but dont the 40 and 9mm have different trigger mechanism housing w/ejector that you have to change on a conversion from 40 to 9mm? And i think the 9mm spring loaded bearing is black and a different part number then the white one on the 40.

7. Spike32

Spike32

They are different, but typically the ejector and extractor on the .40 work on the 9mm with no problem. My G32 has never had a FTE shooting 9mm with a Storm Lake barrel...and we're talking several thousand rounds.

8. hermanden

hermanden

9. knaack134

knaack134

If I'm wrong, I apologize. But I think you are wrong about .40 and 357sig barrels being identical.

10. NYresq

NYresq

The breach face on my 32 and 35 are within a couple thousandths of each other using a dial caliper... I dont see any other measurements that are different by more then .001".

The 357sig case is based on the 40 S&W as far as rim diameter goes.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  11. AustinTx

AustinTx

They are as identical as can be, except for the chamber. I bought a Glock G22 40S&W barrel for my G31 357sig pistol. Drops right in.

12. got_metal

got_metal

The ejector on the .40 is straight and the ejector on the 9mm points slightly inwards to catch the smaller 9mm case. You can change the ejector but its not worth the time and effort and takes away from the whole "drop in" value of the barrel. The .40 ejector just slings brass more back towards you rather than to the side as it should, this tends to bother some people, and for those who would want to change ejectors for that reason, you're better off just buying a G17

13. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

The Lone wolf barrel is probibally the best value. To the person who dosent like the wolf logo on the barrel, you can order them blind marked with no logo on the outside of the barrel.

14. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Now, a reverse order question: can one drop a .40 caliber barrel into a G34? I currently own a G34 and love everything about it but would like to have the option of shooting major power factor in IPSC/USPSA matches.

Thanks for the responses on the first question.

15. got_metal

got_metal

No, you cannot go up in caliber through conversions without getting a whole new slide, which is rather pointless. I also wouldnt be using a conversion barrel for matches anyways, as malfuctions are more likely going to occur over the stock barrels.

16. mboylan

mboylan

Nope. The 9mm ejector will not work with the .40. Don't think they make conversion barrels either.

17. EKUJustice

EKUJustice

The 9mm slide is too small to hold the 40 barrel

18. HK Dan

HK Dan

The 9mm ejector WOULD work with the .40, but the hole in the slide ain't big enough.

19. mboylan

mboylan

When you switch slides G34->G35 with the original ejector, the ejector is not reliable. That's one of the reasons they don't make conversion barrels. The other is that the barrel walls could be too thin.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  20. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

but could you get a new slide and run .40?

i have a gen 3 G17 that i like alot, but the major power factor sure is forgiving on shot placement.
    i know you can put a 17 slide on a G22 but i dont know if it works the other way around.

i read it doesnt on Glockmeisters site.
    http://glockmeister.com/pages.php?cID=3&pID=34

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010