Glock Talk banner

G33 is unforgiving! Range report!

3725 Views 20 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Texas1836
I love my Glock 31.... I wanna love this one as well! But...we don't seem to get along all the time! First load up on this trip was LAX Ammunition - 125g - RNFP. And here are shots on paper at 14 yards:

Play

That was three strings of three shots. Not sure where shot #9 got to? One of those ones on the cardboard maybe....
Didn't hit as well as I normally do with LAX ammo...it was probably just me. I went 4-7 on one 18 yard steel and 5-fer-7 on the other 18 yard steel. I was only 3-7 on the gong at 25 yards and here is 4/7 on the popper at 29 yards!:

Firearm Airsoft gun Tree Airsoft Recreation

I had the slide lock back on me twice while I was shooting this first box . I figured out my grip was to blame . I don't use the thumbs up hold that is popular today. I hold more thumbs down and, under recoil, must have been bumping up the slide lock. I changed my grip and that problem went away. I went 1-4 on the knockdown steel which was at 33 yrds:

Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

Six hits outta nine shots on the far steel at 50 yards!:

Gun Firearm Shooting range Trigger Sport venue

Next load up was CCI Speer LE Gold Dot - 125g - GDHP (54234) and here were six shots on paper at 14 yards with that:

Gun Firearm Trigger Shooting sport Starting pistol

Four outta six on one 18 yard steel:

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Airsoft

and 4-6 on the other 18 yard steel:

That magazine, with the extension, is my favorite magazine to use with the G33. I was also using an extended (G31) magazine and I had two failures to feed with it. I think my big paws were contacting it...and with my death grip, I was causing the top to cant forward & down causing the feed issues. I stopped using the extended mags and that problem went away...with this load.

I went only 2-6 on the 25 yard gong...slightly better at 3-6 at the 29 yard popper but hit the knockdown at 33 yards 2 of 3:

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

Finally, I went 5/8 on the 50 yard steel:

Gun Firearm Airsoft Shooting range Airsoft gun

Next load up was SBR (S. Ballistics Research) - 125g - HP. Listen....I have 184 different loads thru my P229 and this is one of the worst I have shot. I am just trying to burn thru it so I can get the empty brass. Usually it functions OK... it's just horribly inaccurate! Here are six shots on paper at 14 yards:

Blue Shooting sport Sport venue Outerwear Electric blue

They are the ones circled in red. At least two of them tumbled...maybe three! I also had five failures to feed using all regular...no more extended mags...magazines. And there it is...the good, the bad and the ugly!

Totals for this gun:

1,215 rounds representing 23 loads.

I have only gotten through 3 boxes of those 23 boxes without an "OOPS"..... Not all the guns fault. Some has been "not great" ammo and some has just been my "interface" with the pistol. I have often said: Guns are like shoes -what fits for some... won't fit for others, what works for some...won't work for others.
Keeping this one though!
Reactions: Berto
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
3,086 Posts
Did not try to analyze your results, but since I always use grip extensions, did they seem to help with recoil control and accuracy?

3,086 Posts
I do not have much experience with the 357....but those groups seem less than stellar to me...I thought 357 was a very accurate caliber?
My G33 is very accurate - I was wondering about speed - perhaps shooting a little quick?

· Registered
11,729 Posts
When I bought my Glock I drove the saleslady nuts, vacillating between the G-33 and G-32 for at least thirty minutes. I finally decided on the G-32 because I just couldn't warm up to curling my pinkie underneath the grip. I have been perfectly happy with my choice and never a regret. I just wish Glock made a G-43 in .357sig. I can get all my fingers on that model and I'm sure it will make an outstanding CCW gun if it ever comes about.

· Making lunch
1,004 Posts
Yeah, the subcompacts haven’t worked for me, and the G33 has a reputation for being pretty blast.

FWIW, I run G31 mags with the X-Grip sleeve in my G32, and like it.
For myself, my Glocks in 357Sig are more accurate, with less & better recoil & overall shootability than the exact same pistols in 40S&W. The same Glocks are easier to shoot in 9X19.

· Registered
7,080 Posts
I found that replacing the Glock OEM mag base plates with Pearce +0 mag bases has provided me with the extra real estate required for my pinky, the addition of which hasn't caused me any printing issues, but does afford me a better purchase on my Gen3 G33...

· Registered
16 Posts
I was going to start a thread requesting feedback for a G33 but will piggyback on this one. Any updates to your experiences with the G33? I was considering one to complement my G32 which has been running good with 357sig mags. Little hesitant after this report.

· The wind serenades a purified man.
6,085 Posts
NitLion, my G33 has been balls on accurate from day one. When I shoot my G33 at distance, the word laser really does come to mind. At bad breath distances, the pistol can actually make me appear to be a marksman. From your post it doesn't sound like a problem you experience with other calibers/pistols. You must have come into possession of a bad batch of ammo or screwed up your sights. I just don't know. Good luck figuring it out though. I'd be interested in knowing what you diagnose the problem as being.

· Registered
654 Posts
I was going to start a thread requesting feedback for a G33 but will piggyback on this one. Any updates to your experiences with the G33? I was considering one to complement my G32 which has been running good with 357sig mags. Little hesitant after this report.
I have a G33.3 & a G32.4. I edc the 33.3 with Glock + 2 mag extensions (11 + 1). I really like the 33. I am just as accurate with it (if not more so) as I am the 32. No worries about recoil, accuracy or reliability here.

3,086 Posts
This.

I always laugh when I hear people talking about combat handgun accuracy at distances of 50 yards and less.

Just about any pistol will do what you need it to do at that range. It’s the Indian, not the arrow.
I do not have much experience with the 357....but those groups seem less than stellar to me...I thought 357 was a very accurate caliber?
Almost all guns and ammo are more accurate than the shooter.
My Glock 33 is terrible at 100 yards. Damn gong must be too small.

· Funky White Boy
265 Posts
This.

I always laugh when I hear people talking about combat handgun accuracy at distances of 50 yards and less.

Just about any pistol will do what you need it to do at that range. It’s the Indian, not the arrow.
Very true about the Indian. Same wise Indian once said, " Any bow good bow, Arrow heap much work"

· Mr. Wonderful
89 Posts
I enjoy my 357Sig round. All my .40 cal arms are outfitted with a .357Sig barrel.....and a 9mm bull barrel (conversation barrel to some). For a real kicker, the KelTec P11, which I've had since it was introduced, has a special order top end to include the .40 cal and a .357Sig barrel. Pretty rare as they've not been available for well over 20 yesrs.Its a real handful to fire.

· 1911 lover
8,373 Posts
I love me some g31's. Have zero interest in a 33 with two fingers holding on to it. I never tried a 32 but would need a gen 5 without finger grooves. Do they make a gen 5 g32 ?

· Banned
267 Posts
I love my Glock 31.... I wanna love this one as well! But...we don't seem to get along all the time! First load up on this trip was LAX Ammunition - 125g - RNFP. And here are shots on paper at 14 yards:

View attachment 575224

That was three strings of three shots. Not sure where shot #9 got to? One of those ones on the cardboard maybe....
Didn't hit as well as I normally do with LAX ammo...it was probably just me. I went 4-7 on one 18 yard steel and 5-fer-7 on the other 18 yard steel. I was only 3-7 on the gong at 25 yards and here is 4/7 on the popper at 29 yards!:

View attachment 575226

I had the slide lock back on me twice while I was shooting this first box . I figured out my grip was to blame . I don't use the thumbs up hold that is popular today. I hold more thumbs down and, under recoil, must have been bumping up the slide lock. I changed my grip and that problem went away. I went 1-4 on the knockdown steel which was at 33 yrds:

View attachment 575228

Six hits outta nine shots on the far steel at 50 yards!:

View attachment 575230

Next load up was CCI Speer LE Gold Dot - 125g - GDHP (54234) and here were six shots on paper at 14 yards with that:

View attachment 575232

Four outta six on one 18 yard steel:

View attachment 575238

and 4-6 on the other 18 yard steel:

View attachment 575242

That magazine, with the extension, is my favorite magazine to use with the G33. I was also using an extended (G31) magazine and I had two failures to feed with it. I think my big paws were contacting it...and with my death grip, I was causing the top to cant forward & down causing the feed issues. I stopped using the extended mags and that problem went away...with this load.

I went only 2-6 on the 25 yard gong...slightly better at 3-6 at the 29 yard popper but hit the knockdown at 33 yards 2 of 3:

View attachment 575246

Finally, I went 5/8 on the 50 yard steel:

View attachment 575248

Next load up was SBR (S. Ballistics Research) - 125g - HP. Listen....I have 184 different loads thru my P229 and this is one of the worst I have shot. I am just trying to burn thru it so I can get the empty brass. Usually it functions OK... it's just horribly inaccurate! Here are six shots on paper at 14 yards:

View attachment 575250

They are the ones circled in red. At least two of them tumbled...maybe three! I also had five failures to feed using all regular...no more extended mags...magazines. And there it is...the good, the bad and the ugly!

Totals for this gun:

1,215 rounds representing 23 loads.

I have only gotten through 3 boxes of those 23 boxes without an "OOPS"..... Not all the guns fault. Some has been "not great" ammo and some has just been my "interface" with the pistol. I have often said: Guns are like shoes -what fits for some... won't fit for others, what works for some...won't work for others.
Keeping this one though!
I never shot a .357 sig but according to what I've read about the caliber I would guess to get the achievable accuracy like a 31 or 32 with that small of frame .357 sig your gonna have to send a whole bunch of ammo down range to get the accuracy out of it that's better than what your showing.i really want to love the caliber but there's a bigger diffence in ammo price/ performance compared to a 9mm but I'm about to trade my glock 18 to get back in a glock 21

1 - 20 of 21 Posts