close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

G30SF vs Springfield Milspec

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jwizzl497, Apr 6, 2010.

1. jwizzl497

jwizzl497

I realize that there are tons of threads comparing 1911 to Glock, in general but I could not find many comparing these 2 particular models and their pros/cons. I am in the market for one or the other but can't seem to make up my mind.

My hangup with the 1911 is less rounds and more weight and not as flawless reliability. Conversly, my hangup with glock is I want to own a piece of history in the 1911 design and the GLock is THICK! obvious arguments, nevertheless.

Since these 2 are @ similar price points, is there anything else I need to be thinking about or not thinking about, etc? THis would be for range fun and carry, all of the above. Thanks in advance!

2. whitey4311

whitey4311

You can almost bet any milspec 1911 is not going to be 100% and most people buy them as project guns. You buy the milspec then send it off for several thousand in custom work to be done. I wouldnt trust any 1911 for carry that didnt start costing $1500 or more and even then they sometimes need tweaking.

When I buy one I basically accept the fact that I will break it in with 2k rounds then just accept having to send it off for work to be perfect. Typically I send them in to change other things while the smith has it to make the cost of shipping worth while.

So bottom line is that if you arent willing to spend $1k on a 1911 then dont even think of comparing a mil spec to any glock as for reliability.

3. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Hey, let's compare a 57 Chevy to a new Corvette!:upeyes: Two of my three Springer mil-specs have been 100% with everything! The one I had issues with was a 5 minute fix! I've had 7-8 Glocks over the last twenty or so years and two of them were completely unreliable.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Really....:upeyes:

5. Boost_Junkie

Boost_Junkie Mike November

Honestly, I'd rather carry a 5 inch 1911 than any .45 Glock. There just to fat for my liking. I carried around a Colt series 70 for a few weeks and it carried VERY well. With the proper holster and gun belt you can barely notice the weight.

Manny

6. SagKC

SagKC

:popcorn::popcorn:

7. Slide Lock Satch

Slide Lock Satch

I had a G21SF and G30SF that I sold recently. They both shot well and digested any type defense ammo I put in them.

The 30SF just did not carry well on my hip. The grip just did not work out regardless that it was an SF. Also, it seems these guns move alot in the holster (blade tech IWB) when walking or moving which a similiar rig in a G19 does not move from my expereince.

I have a Springfield Milspec. It will not digest the 200 +P golddots like the Glocks. It does fine with 230 gn ball ammo which the gun was designed to shoot. The sigths did not require adjustment on this gun as it shot to the point of aim just fine. Once again - 230 Ball. Just ordered a Kramer Horse hide IWB for this gun. I have one for the G19 and it is the best of all holsters I have tried over the past 15 yrs of civilian concealed carry. Pricey but worth the 3 or 4 production holsters I have tried.

In short the Glock 45 pistols are just too wide regardless of the frame size. If the grip does not immediately feel natural in your hand it is my opinion that it does not fit. This is my expereicne after running throught these two guns. Your mileage may vary.

8. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

Let me one up you. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

One other thing to consider, your backup magazine for the G30 can be a G21 magazine, which, if needed, gives you another 13 rounds if/when needed. It's something to think about. I did! My primary carry is a huge, fat, G30. I did however carry a 1911 at one time, and would feel every bit as much confidence in doing so once again. Well, except for that capacity, and weight thing of course.:supergrin:

10. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Send it off???? Anyone with any mechanical ability whatsoever can maintain a 1911.

Please don't try to scare the OP away from a perfectly good pistol just because you are scared of a 1911....he may have enough brains to shoot it well.

11. sirgarreth

sirgarreth

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry SLE. It has been 100%. Of course I maintain it properly. Requires more maintenance than a glock. The Kimber is MUCH more accurate than any glock for me at least. Why would you need to carry 30-50 rounds of anything? My Kimber is 8+1 and extra mag is another 8. 17 rounds of .45 federal hydrashok i think is more than enough to end things. 1-2 shots in the RIGHT SPOT and its over! Of course that is just my opinion!! I carry it in a Nick Mathews #1 IWB. Every once in a while i also carry a Glock 23 in an MTAC. Probably a little more comfortable than the Kimber. Either way it is all preference. I also used to carry a Norinco 45 which was 100% reliable and i only paid $250 for new.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  12. Brucev

Brucev

Deleted.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  13. HOV

HOV

PFffft

!

14. sheepman

sheepman

I traded a G30 for a mil-spec, both are/were reliable and about the same for accuracy. Both were primarily range guns and no the Springfield does not have any custom work done to it. I use the Springfield for action pistol shooting so it does get a work out. To say that a 1911 needs $2000 of custom work to run is not what I have experience, however the Glock is more likely to be 100% out of the box. Both are good guns and will serve you well if maintained.

15. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

It really is hard and perhaps unfair, to compare these 2. The Glock is smaller, lighter & carries a few more rounds on board & also w/a spare mag as a reload, BUT it sure is thick & relatively heavy for it's dimensions. A 1911, depending on it's frame size & manufacturer can be more/less heavy than a Glock. It carries less rounds both on board & in a spare mag, BUT it is much slimmer & can be more balanced (again, depending on the frame size & weight). As a consumer, you must ultimately decide which of these is a pro or con for you & purchase accordingly.

Personally, I've noticed that the Springfield 1911s are generally a little heavier than other manufactuers 1911s, all things being equal, so if this will be carried alot & weight is a concern, than you may want to consider other manufacturers, too. Reliability wise, every man made, mass produced item has an inherent ability to 'not work', regardless of who made it. I think Toyota is a current example of this. Best advice here is to not buy used & I think you could lower your chances of buying something that 'didn't work' for someone else.

16. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

I started with a SA Mil-Spec and it has been flawless with over 1000 rounds of everything and anything I can feed it. I also wanted a Glock so eventually I purchased a 19. It too has been flawless with far less rounds.

For carry I find the 1911 to be easier to conceal. I also find the 1911 to fit my hand better. I love both and wouldn't get rid of either. In my mind they are are totaly different animals, but are equal in quality and reliability. I chose both pistols based on reputation which I think are equal. I say start with either one and later buy the other. After all you will want to have both later on anyways.

17. Small Tony

Small Tony

Before I bought my G30sf I too was looking at some of the compact 1911. Bottom line it is hard to beat the mag capacity (10+1), light weight in this small of a package anywhere.

The holster makes all the difference in the world. I carry my G30sf with an IWB holster made by Eric at Barber Leatherworks. For me I just don't understand how others say the G30 is to bulky to carry.

[​IMG][/IMG]

18. Cartouche

Cartouche

Got rid of all 1911's, customs and gov model Colts. Bought a G21SF and a G30, G34. This has been awhile ago. The last 1911 to go was last week. One left, and it is sold. I shoot both alot. I like the reliablity and capacity. The way I see it is 1911's will be around, as well as Glocks. I want a CCW and training weapon that is dependable and tuff. Not that a 1911 isn't but the Glock just fit my needs better. What I am saying it is all a matter of prefrence and if it fits your hand, in the case of a Glock. If a new shooter ask me what should I get to CCW and train with, it would be a Glock. If it fits your hand. History aside.

19. TxGun

TxGun

The two are so different...why would you expect anyone on a forum to have any sort of definitive answer for you? :upeyes: It's obviously always going to boil down to personal preference. I have many 1911s. I also have a Glock 21SF. Sometimes I prefer to have the Glock with me; other times I prefer to have a 1911. Why? I don't know...whatever I feel like in the moment, I guess. Either platform has, or can have, all the reliability you'll ever need for a carry or HD gun. You can analyze it to death. Pick one...or buy both.

20. GOA Guy

GOA Guy

If you don't have the money right now to buy a nice 1911 get the Glock, then start saving for a 1911 at least a few steps up the ladder from a "mil-spec".